"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,418
Wendy's says bye to Biggie

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060609/...sure_wendys_dc

From article:

Quote:
At rival McDonald's Corp. (NYSE:MCD - news), the largest burger chain, a 32 ounce soft drink is designated a large. At Wendy's, a 32 ounce drink will now be called medium, instead of Biggie.

Wendy's is also adding a 42-ounce soft drink -- the equivalent of 3-1/2 cans of soda -- as its large. The large drink will come in a more durable, portable plastic cup that fits in a car cup holder for diners on-the-go.

"We felt like the Biggie designation is not what most customers were used to. Most people were used to small, medium and large," a spokesman said.

Wendy's had used the term Biggie since the early 1990s.

Previously, Wendy's sold a 16 ounce soft drink as a small, a 20 ounce soft drink as medium and a 32 ounce soft drink as Biggie. Now, a 20 ounce drink is a small, a 32 ounce drink is a medium and the new 42 ounce drink is a large. The company will still sell a 16 ounce drink on its 99 cent value menu.

At McDonald's, a 16 ounce drink is called a small, a 21 ounce drink is a medium and a 32 ounce drink is a large.

They have changed what oil they use and now they also want to drop the use of the word Biggie.

A 42 ounce drink is now a large at Wendy's!!!! I guess they want you to float on home after you finish it.

__________________

__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
I honestly wished they would come out with more minis!!! Like Ruby Tuesday's mini burgers? Yum... smaller is better!
__________________

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Toots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,580
My local news reported that Wendys biggie sizes will now be their standard medium size - !!! I rarely rarely eat there - but to me this is a just putting lipstick on a pig. They aren't concerned about healthful eating, just selling more junk to the gullible public.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots
My local news reported that Wendys biggie sizes will now be their standard medium size - !!! I rarely rarely eat there - but to me this is a just putting lipstick on a pig. They aren't concerned about healthful eating, just selling more junk to the gullible public.
Well now, would you say the same thing about everyone who posts here with recipes for candy, cookies, cakes, sweets, fried foods, butter ladened dishes, etc.? The responsibility for healthy eating lies with each individual and not with the server or the cook. It would be nice if we could blame our woes, foibles and problems on someone else, but sooner or later we need to take personal responsibility for our own fate.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots
My local news reported that Wendys biggie sizes will now be their standard medium size - !!! I rarely rarely eat there - but to me this is a just putting lipstick on a pig. They aren't concerned about healthful eating, just selling more junk to the gullible public.
Yup! I once saw something totaly ludricous at a Hardee's restaurant about a year back. They were selling this "low-carb" burger which used a large piece of iceburgh lettuse in place of a bun, the idea of which is to get rid of the processed flour carbs. And with it (now this is the truly laughable part) they asked if they could increase the size of the fries order that came with the burger.

i am totally appalled by big buisness' quest for the dollar. They will kill people by degrees to get it. I rarely go to fast food places and am a very wary shopper at the store. Pre-cooked, pre-processed foods don't much enter my home, except the occasional pizza from a good pizza joint.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 79
Its not just Wendy's making these changes. It’s seen in restaurants all over. It’s what nutritionists commonly refer to as "portion distortion." What were once smaller portions are becoming larger. I can't blame the restaurants for going along with what the consumers want. If a customer wants a bigger portion then they will get it. The point of business to make money. The consumer usually gets what they want in the end. The people are the ones who need to make the change. If they didn't buy it, it wouldn't be sold. The only way to change the way restaurants serve their food is to get the consumer to change their attitudes about eating.
__________________
Whole Wheat Cookbook Blog
Ripliancum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
I honestly wished they would come out with more minis!!! Like Ruby Tuesday's mini burgers? Yum... smaller is better!
Burger King, I think it was, maybe 12 years ago or so had what they called burger buddies. They were two mini burgers stuck together. They were pretty cool.
__________________
Whole Wheat Cookbook Blog
Ripliancum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Trip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 330
Have any of you seen Supersize Me (i think that's its name) the movie about mc donalds food experiment. At same time, I think its a matter of choices. I like going to burger king and getting whopper jr instead of honking huge double whopper, but hubby still doubles up... oh well...
__________________
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Herm Albrighthttps://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/tripcopy.jpg
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripliancum
Burger King, I think it was, maybe 12 years ago or so had what they called burger buddies. They were two mini burgers stuck together. They were pretty cool.
I have become such a fan of it that I make mini burgers at home now. Lots easier to fix and cleanup and not as hard to eat as a regular size burger.

I am surprised that more resturants/fast food chains don't do this. In a way, it caters to those folks that want to eat less or the same person that would order a biggie would order more mini's!

I am not much for fast food myself.... I like chik-fil-a (sp?) once in a while, and that is about it.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Have any of you seen Supersize Me (i think that's its name) the movie about mc donalds food experiment. At same time, I think its a matter of choices. I like going to burger king and getting whopper jr instead of honking huge double whopper, but hubby still doubles up... oh well...
I like when he gets the Mc Gurgles!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Have any of you seen Supersize Me (i think that's its name) the movie about mc donalds food experiment. At same time, I think its a matter of choices. I like going to burger king and getting whopper jr instead of honking huge double whopper, but hubby still doubles up... oh well...
Yea I just saw it like 3 weeks ago right after getting a summer job at McDonalds. Even after having seen the film and working there, I'm still not convinced to totally boycott the place. To me, all the preservatives and stuff don't make any difference. What I do care about is the high fat and calorie content of the food. So you do have to make wise choices when eating fast food.
__________________
Whole Wheat Cookbook Blog
Ripliancum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
I have become such a fan of it that I make mini burgers at home now. Lots easier to fix and cleanup and not as hard to eat as a regular size burger.

I am surprised that more resturants/fast food chains don't do this. In a way, it caters to those folks that want to eat less or the same person that would order a biggie would order more mini's!

I am not much for fast food myself.... I like chik-fil-a (sp?) once in a while, and that is about it.
Have you ever seen a White Castle restaurant? It is a chain in the East and Midwest. Their whole business is based upon mini burgers. Customers just buy them by the bagful.

http://www.whitecastle.com/

Here is their nutritional information page:

http://www.whitecastle.com/_pages/nutrition.asp
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Have any of you seen Supersize Me (i think that's its name) the movie about mc donalds food experiment. At same time, I think its a matter of choices. I like going to burger king and getting whopper jr instead of honking huge double whopper, but hubby still doubles up... oh well...

Yeah I saw it. I loved the DVD extra where he testes all the food to see how long before it got moldy.

The McDonalds fries were not even moldy after like 10 weeks of just sitting in the canister to rot.
__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #14
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 751
Quote:
Yeah I saw it. I loved the DVD extra where he testes all the food to see how long before it got moldy.

The McDonalds fries were not even moldy after like 10 weeks of just sitting in the canister to rot.
A show on Australian TV did the same sort of thing. They bought a cheeseburger 3 years ago and stored it. After 3 years had passed they went out and bought a fresh one, it looked exactly the same.

Can't remember the last time I ate anything from a commercial fast food place, and I turn it down whenever I'm offered regardless of whether it may offend since I am a guest at another person's house (with their permission I just go into the kitchen and make myself something).
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
so, does this mean that wendy's will now have a small, medium, and large?

it annoys me when a place sells medium, large, and even larger sized portions.
you can't have a medium unless there's a small and a large.
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #16
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
Have you ever seen a White Castle restaurant? It is a chain in the East and Midwest. Their whole business is based upon mini burgers. Customers just buy them by the bagful.

http://www.whitecastle.com/

Here is their nutritional information page:

http://www.whitecastle.com/_pages/nutrition.asp
My hubby swears by them and craves them... but there are none to be found in these neck of the woods. Only frozen in a box. But if I ever get a chance....I am for sure trying them!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Hopz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Utah, near Park City
Posts: 272
Have you people lost your minds?

Even considering eating at one of the fast food factoies is disgusting, and actually doing it is a dis-service to your mind and body. If you are a parent taking your kid to one of these places ought to be considered child abuse...
Forget global warming- the fast food industry does more harm, world wide than all the other CO2 emissions ever could.

Thare I feel better now. Actually I eat a Wendy's HB once a year or so and so far it has not hurt me too much. I swore off McD's about 15 years ago- have never been back since except for breakfast on road trips.
__________________
Favorite Quote: "Time Flies Like an Arrow - Fruit Flies Like a Banana"
Groucho Marx
Hopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I swore off McD's about 15 years or so ago also Hopz aside from the very rare time I will get a sausage biscuit there (less than once a year).

I find the sizes of Wendys sodas ridiculous. the equivalent of 3.5 cans of soda??? No wonder the USA is getting fatter and fatter.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:30 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz
Have you people lost your minds?

Even considering eating at one of the fast food factoies is disgusting, and actually doing it is a dis-service to your mind and body. If you are a parent taking your kid to one of these places ought to be considered child abuse...
Forget global warming- the fast food industry does more harm, world wide than all the other CO2 emissions ever could.

Thare I feel better now. Actually I eat a Wendy's HB once a year or so and so far it has not hurt me too much. I swore off McD's about 15 years ago- have never been back since except for breakfast on road trips.
Yep, out of my mind... I will try anything once..... ok I do have some boundries.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Michelemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Suburb of Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,614
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
We do not eat at fast food restaurants very often - so when we do it is considered a treat - like a other sinful foods. However, when I do go, I want a bunch of fries and a big hamburger - I guess I am confessing that I was a biggie fry fan - oh well, at least I'm honest. I will miss the biggie fry . I know how bad they are for me, but like I said, we don't go there very often at all.
__________________

__________________
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×