What A Lovely Couple!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loprraine

Executive Chef
They were here when I got home from work today. I love it when they come to visit, because they are so easy to have around. I on't have to entertain them at all, but they do love their food! They are here for a few days again this spring. They are paddling around in the pool, and get out to bathe in the sun every once in awhile. He's looking really good, she's looking a tad skinny after her winter journey south. He's being very attentive to her, so I'm giving them lots of time alone. I served them a wonderful bread appetizer that they really seemed to enjoy. Unfortunatley, every time I look at them, all I can think of is DUCK FAT!!!!!!!

Yup a mating pair of ducks that return to our backyard every year.:LOL:

We were briefly visited by a gorgeous wild turkey yesterday evening. I tried to grab a picture but it was too dark and I couldn't get close enough.

I've never seen a wild turkey, but my brother who lives just outside of Toronto gets them in the winter at his birdfeeder.

They usually stay 2-5 days. I think it depends on how good the food is, and if the neighbours 3 dogs are out! Then they go off to build a nest and have their young. I just love seeing them back, it means spring is here. It sure gets the cats in a tizzy, but the ducks are so tam. One cat was outside with me, almost hanging into the pool. They stayed clear of her, but never left.

And then, every once in awhile, I glance over at the bbq, and think, no, that's just wrong. So, I'll go back out in awhile and give them another half bun. Maybe they'd rather :)the "Traditional Belgium Bread" I bought today for $4.99 a loaf!

I agree that you painted a lovely picture. Now take a picture! I would love to see your little visitors. That is so neat!

A lot of ducks and geese fly over, but we don't have a pool or pond, so they just fly by. We see wild turkeys around here, but I've never seen one in our yard.

:)Barbara

Oh yes, pictures please!

You kill me with the covert glances at the BBQ! (But I wouldn't feed them the expensive bread unless you actually plan to use the BBQ.)

believe it or not, i had a duck sushi roll once. it was very good. like a more firm eel, with the taste of duck.

loppraine, do they nest in your yard?

the younger ones taste better. and eggs, yum. :huh:

Last edited:
I love ducks! My lotto dream is to buy a big farm and have lots of ducks and my own chickens! And a big pond for them to play in.

We are fortunate enough to live close by the MOD (Ministry of Defense) so we can watch all the birds, ducks and swans. Mommy swan is currently sitting on her nest of eggs while daddy swan keeps watch. I also spotted a cute duck couple sun bathing the other day.

When I lived in the Santa Cruz Mts we had a pair of wild turkeys that would cruise the neighborhood. Drove all the dogs nuts! They were so cute. I love that they mate for life!

Please post a picture if you get a chance!

We are fortunate enough to live close by the MOD (Ministry of Defense) so we can watch all the birds, ducks and swans.

geez, i know there's been cutbacks in the air force with the ground war in iraq, but c'mon. the english just aren't trying anymore...:rolleyes:

They were here when I got home from work today. I love it when they come to visit, because they are so easy to have around. I on't have to entertain them at all, but they do love their food! They are here for a few days again this spring. They are paddling around in the pool, and get out to bathe in the sun every once in awhile. He's looking really good, she's looking a tad skinny after her winter journey south. He's being very attentive to her, so I'm giving them lots of time alone. I served them a wonderful bread appetizer that they really seemed to enjoy. Unfortunatley, every time I look at them, all I can think of is DUCK FAT!!!!!!!

Funny you should mention this, there is a pair of Mallards that return to my pond each year. I enjoy watching them, they come up to the house by the bird feeders to look for food.
LadyCook

loppraine, do they nest in your yard?

No, bucky, they never have. Probably not enough coverage for them. We're really close to Lake Ontario, and we have lots of wooded areas here. Too bad, I'd love to see the little ones. duck eggs = yum!!!!!

pair of Mallards

Ladycook, these are mallards. He has great colouring. She, for the first time, and I don't remember seeing this on a female, has a band of colour on her wing.

They were back at about 5am, I went down and fed them, hopefully they'll be back later this afternoon.:) I found batteries for the camera, and took some pictures. Too bad I don't know how to upload them.

When you are ready ...I will gladly help you upload them. It's not hard at all after you have some simple instructions to go by.

I can't wait to see them!

I used to live on the lake here and about 6:30 one morning heard the most awful noise - ran to the deck to see what was wrong - and saw about 50 - 60 ducks hugging the shore paddling along waking everyone up!

Occasionally they would find the pool :(

I am sure they would look lovely sitting side by side... on my platter!!!!:LOL:

Sorry, can't help it, although the picture you paint is very lovely indeed.

Back
Top Bottom