What are some of your favorite old movies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do old Christmas movies count??? I LOVE Miracle on 34th Street (the one with Natalie Wood).It's a Wonderful life is an oldie but, goodie too- then there's the newer Christmas Story.(in case you're wondering I'm 45 just feel alot older!!!)

Definitely!!!

In fact, I collect versions of "A Christmas Carol". Even the animated versions. Don't think I'm missing even one.

Hands down best? The Alastair Sim version. No one has ever duplicated that one.

BreezyCooking said:
Don't you want to smack that brat upside the head like, a dozen times, in the first 30 minutes of the movie? Lol!!!!

YES!!!:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: With those little white shoes.

Patricia McCormack

I think everyone wanted to smack this kid and I wanted to add her mother to the list for being such a wimp lol. Did anyone know that Patricia McCormack was in the Three's Company spin-off series The Ropers as their neighbors wife ?

I think everyone wanted to smack that kid and I wanted to add her mother to the list as well lol!!! Did anyone know that Patricia McCormack was in the Three's Company spin-off The Ropers as their neighbors wife?

Oh and it was Imitation Of Life I was thinking of so if that's not the right movie, I don't know what other movie it could be.

Miracle In the Rain - Jane Wyman/Van Johnson
Battle Cry- Ado Ray and Alot of oldies
The Fighting Sullivans - True story of 5 Sullivan brothers off to war
Love alot more of the oldies but these are the ones that first came to mind

ironchef said:
Yeah what qualifies as an old movie?

I also wondered about that... it is very subjective where to draw a line, it could be those slilent films in b&w, or to some people the films from 5 years ago are "old"...:huh:

Well... many of my all time favourite films are from the 80s, probably because that was the decade where I was growing up... films like

Stand By Me
Fish Called Wanda
Princess Bride
Never Ending Story
Christmas Story
Roxanne
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Biloxi Blues
Indiana Jones "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "the Last Crusade"
etc. etc... they all are quite dear to my heart still.

Casablanca and Roman Holiday are two of the black and white classic I am particularly fond of. For years I have been curious about that old film Meg Ryan kept watching in "Sleepless in Seattle" (Affair to Remember if I am not mistaken??), but I have yet to see it... is it worth bothering about it, if anyone has seen it???

Last edited:
I liked An Affair to Remember- I watched the "old" one after watching a newer version with Annette Benning and Warren Beattie which I liked alot.

Hands down best? The Alastair Sim version. No one has ever duplicated that one.[/quote]

Thats DH's all time favorite Christmas movie. They usually run it really late at night right before Christmas around here and DH always stays up to watch it. However, for the last couple years we haven't been able to find it on t.v. I'm going to surprise him this year and buy him a copy of it on DVD and that way he can watch it whenever he wants.

I too love the old Christmas ones. But my all time favorite (not really that old) is "The Homecoming" ...The Waltons.

The DVD version of Alistair Sim's "A Christmas Carol" or "Scrooge" as it's sometimes titled here in the U.S. is FABULOUS. Try to get the version where one side has the original black & white version; the other side has it colorized, & although I usually take a dim view of old black & white films artificially "colorized", they did a really nice job on this one.

You're welcome!! It really is worth making sure that the DVD you buy has both versions, especially since the price is only different by a couple of dollars.

I have to admit I've never seen Gone With The Wind. And whats that movie where the guy says, "Here's looking at you kid"?

sounds a bit like Casablanca, but I've never seen that film in english, I only know the german version ;o)
and then the usual:
Gone with the wind
African queen
and so many more I don't know the names... ;o)

SizzlininIN said:
And whats that movie where the guy says, "Here's looking at you kid"?

The movie is Casablanca, "the guy" is Humphrey Bogard!!

img_267508_0_37d04450231641da632da57c2ed670a4.jpg

Breakfast at Tiffany's is my favorite
( we just named the new baby chick KATIE and her sister's name is NO NAME CHICK)

Harvy with James Stewart is good...
and I've always enjoyed, MA and Pa Kettle and the TAMMY movies.
Oh and MINE YOURS AND OURS is really good too.
There are so so many good old ones.

Funny...I've been watching both of those Kim since I was little...
but I don't concider them old.

Sound of Music was the first movie I saw in a movie theatre, I love that one too.

urmaniac13 said:
The movie is Casablanca, "the guy" is Humphrey Bogard!!

Actually, the guy's name is Bogart!!! A film legend!

I'm not a fan of ganster movies, as your original query/title was posted. I have many 'favorite movies' that I have posted in the past. Some are films that are classics, some I worked on, & some I like for personal reasons/preference. Will be happy to repost them again.

See every one of his films. That's entertainment, moviemaking at its' best!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom