What are some of your favorite old movies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I recently saw for the first time "The Godfather". I loved it! I love the old gangster/mob movies. What are some of your old favorites gangster or romance? I'm talking the old ones (with sound of course :LOL: ). I also just saw "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and I highly recommend that. Another one....but I can't remember the name of it ....it was where the mother was black and the father was white and the daughter was ashamed. Oh shoot.....there was the scene where it was the funeral and as they were bringing the casket out of the church the daughter was running through the crowd and when she threw herself at her mothers casket sobbing.

NOTE: I'm not a fan of westerns......sorry!

Wow - you're definitely a "youngster" as far as old movies are concerned.

I grew up in a home where both parents were fans of old mysteries & film, & in fact have an entire room devoted to a library of mystery novels & books on film. My mom is considered an expert on old film.

I don't know how old you are, but "The Godfather" isn't even REMOTELY an "old movie". Neither is "Breakfast at Tiffanys".

If you're truly interested in old mystery films, or what is knowns as "film noir", if you get cable or satellite TV, try tuning into Turner Classic Movies. You'll find films a lot more interesting than "The Godfather".

BreezyCooking said:
Wow - you're definitely a "youngster" as far as old movies are concerned.

I grew up in a home where both parents were fans of old mysteries & film, & in fact have an entire room devoted to a library of mystery novels & books on film. My mom is considered an expert on old film.

I don't know how old you are, but "The Godfather" isn't even REMOTELY an "old movie". Neither is "Breakfast at Tiffanys".

If you're truly interested in old mystery films, or what is knowns as "film noir", if you get cable or satellite TV, try tuning into Turner Classic Movies. You'll find films a lot more interesting than "The Godfather".

:LOL: Well I'm no youngester thats for sure. But I still consider these old movies. I will def. see if I have that station. Heck, I consider movies from 5 years ago as old movies.

Sizz, think the movie you're referring to might be Imitation of Life, but haven't seen that on TV in years -- nor any of the great B/W true classics. AMC (American Movie Classics channel), is a big disappointment. They just don't air the good oldies - 1940-1950s. Rent some Hitchcock, Joan Crawford & Bette Davis flicks. I saw The Godfather too (yet again) this weekend, simply because there was nothing else on - except sports & westerns. TNT is okay - but they also rerun the same old same. Rebecca & Vertigo are two of my favorites. There are too many to mention here. Use to have a film library of about 200 cassettes (w 3 films on each) I taped, but after awhile I just didn't have room for them - and tape goes bad over time. You might like Sunset Blvd. & Now Voyager. All the Wuthering Heights make me cry. Again, sadly, haven't seen the great classics aired in eons.

As far as color - I wouldn't mind seeing Apocalypse & Deer Hunter again. But, they're not true classics, IMO & definitly not romance flicks. lol

Oh yeah, if they air When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless or As Good As It Gets one more time, I'll scream, lol.

Last edited:
Two of my very favorite old movies are on TCM tonight, back to back - Casablanca and Dr. Strangelove. Other than the old old old gangster movies, like Little Caesar, I don't enjoy gangster movies at all. What a horrible bunch of ne'er-do-wells to showcase for all to admire and emulate.

BC

I think mish is right sizzlin, that movie was called Imitation of life, which was a very good movie. I dont consider "Godfather" as old either, but when you think about it, it is over 30 years old!

Just thought of a gangsta flick I liked - Once Upon A Time in America. It's not like your Angels with Dirty Faces/Cagney-type movies. I started watching Godfather cause, at first, I thought - at last, it's on TV. Wrong movie. Should have guessed. (The studio needed practically the entire legal dept's signatures to let a 90 second film clip go ((in certain instances)), or we'd be sued from here to eternity -- so doubt I'll ever see it on the tube.) The Onion Field use to send shivers up my spine. Liked In Cold Blood as well. That's about as gangsta as I get. lol.

For some reason, I'm compelled to watch movies about serial killers or insanity, lololol. If The Snake Pit ever comes on, take a look. It scared the heck outta me as a kid.

Last edited:
I know this isn't considered old, but, as far as gangster movies, I have to say my all time favorite has to be Scarface!! Al Pacino is such a lunatic, you just have to love him.

texasgirl said:
I know this isn't considered old, but, as far as gangster movies, I have to say my all time favorite has to be Scarface!! Al Pacino is such a lunatic, you just have to love him.

Gotta love everything he does. Right, Tex? Speaking of lunatic :LOL: , he was great in Devil's Advocate. Serpico and And...Justice For All ("You're Out of Order, You're Out of Order. You're All Out of Order", lol), might be three of his my-all-time-favorite Pacino movies...and Godfather.

Last edited:
SizzlininIN said:
Another one....but I can't remember the name of it ....it was where the mother was black and the father was white and the daughter was ashamed. Oh shoot.....there was the scene where it was the funeral and as they were bringing the casket out of the church the daughter was running through the crowd and when she threw herself at her mothers casket sobbing.quote]

The name of that movie is Imitation of Life. It's based on a book by Fannie Hurst. It has been made twice, once in 1934 with Claudette Colbert as the white woman and Louise Beavers as the black woman. The remake was made in 1959 with Lana Turner as the white woman, Sandra Dee as her daughter (she was 16 at the time, I believe), Juanita Moore as the black woman and Susan Kohner as her daughter. Both movies are really good.

There are sooo many good old movies!! The Philadelphia Story with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn is a good comedy. Charade with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant is a good suspense. The Great Escape is one of the best ever war movies. Cool Hand Luke is a terrific prison movie. Night of the Hunter is a really good watch when you want to be a little scared. Cape Fear - the original - is really good, too.

Have fun discovering the old stuff!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Yes, that movie was def. Imitation of Life......it was wonderful!

Well DH said that the movie I thought was called The Godfather wasn't what it was called :huh: . Ok ..... you guys help me out here. It was a story of Italian families......a boy ended up working for an Italian Mob Boss.....well shoot they all are pretty much like that.....ummmmm ....he ended up making a lot of money and they took him in as one of the family. There was the scene where he was older and they were having a poker game and one of them was a real whacko and ended up shooting a younger boy that was serving drinks in the foot. And this same guy that did the shooting later on shot a guy in the bar because he made fun of him....thus killing him. This guy was ultimately killed by the others as he was out of control. Shoot.....I was certain it was The Godfather but I guess he may be right as we were looking at several different ones and I thought we'd chose it.

Oh and there was a robbery and they weren't suppose to spend any of the money on extravegant things and one of the guys bought his girl a new mink coat.

"Imitation of Life" didn't have a father in it. He had passed away. The story was about a white mother and daughter and her black housekeeper and her daughter, who was ashamed of being black and passed for white. I don't know if the black lady's husband had been white or not, - don't remember him being mentioned in the movie. I've enjoyed that movie for years. I'm not much of a movie fan and haven't seen a current movie in ages (except those I must watch with my grandchildren, kiddie movies)but I've seen "An Affair to Remember" so many times I know most of the dialogue and many of the old ones that come on in the middle of the night I see from time to time.

SizzlininIN said:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Yes, that movie was def. Imitation of Life......it was wonderful!

Well DH said that the movie I thought was called The Godfather wasn't what it was called :huh: . Ok ..... you guys help me out here. It was a story of Italian families......a boy ended up working for an Italian Mob Boss.....well shoot they all are pretty much like that.....ummmmm ....he ended up making a lot of money and they took him in as one of the family. There was the scene where he was older and they were having a poker game and one of them was a real whacko and ended up shooting a younger boy that was serving drinks in the foot. And this same guy that did the shooting later on shot a guy in the bar because he made fun of him....thus killing him. This guy was ultimately killed by the others as he was out of control. Shoot.....I was certain it was The Godfather but I guess he may be right as we were looking at several different ones and I thought we'd chose it.

Oh and there was a robbery and they weren't suppose to spend any of the money on extravegant things and one of the guys bought his girl a new mink coat.

Names, Sizz. I need names.:LOL: Who was in the movie?

Amazon.com: Imitation of Life (1959) (1959) : Video
Imitation of Life (1959), Lana Turner, John Gavin, Sandra Dee, Susan Kohner, Robert Alda, Dan O'Herlihy, Juanita Moore, Karin Dicker, Terry Burnham, John Vivyan, Lee Goodman, Ann Robinson, Troy Donahue, Sandra Gould, David Tomack, Joel Fluellen, ... In "Imitation of Life", we see the lives of four women in the 1950s and their attempts to ...

There was an earlier version and I've seen it a time or two, but this one I like better.

I almost forgot one I've seen a cajillion times "The Ghost and Mrs Muir". That one I love.

amber said:
I think mish is right sizzlin, that movie was called Imitation of life, which was a very good movie. I dont consider "Godfather" as old either, but when you think about it, it is over 30 years old!

Thanks, amber. I agree. :)

Some of my old favorites are:

Ghost & Mrs. Muir
Father Goose
Casablanca
Ben Hur
Mister Roberts
Operation Petticoat
The Bishop's Wife (with Cary Grant & David Niven)
The Ten Commandments (not the newer version that just recently aired on TV)

:)

a great night at home is watching "sunset boulevard" over a big bowl of popcorn. one of the great old ones.

"i'm ready for my close-up, mr. demille"...

some of my other faves that i've seen recently are:
captains courageous, the mutiny on the bounty, the caine mutiny, solid gold cadillac, bridge on the river kwai, the african queen, chisum, true grit, ...

Last edited:
what qualifies as an old movie?? I love suspense, political thrillers so Failsafe, 7 Days in May, Farenheit 451, 3 Days of the Condor, but I also want some traditional faves like Wiz of Oz, Miracle on 34th St., Gone with the Wind, and classic scifi...2001 and 2010, Andromeda Strain, Star Wars (original) Star Trek(II and IV) . THere must be more...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom