What are you all doing for Thanksgiving this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
I'm not sure what we're doing yet. The 'planner' of the family said she'd get back to me to let me know if we're all getting together or not.

If we don't get together, it's going to feel very strange because the whole family gathering together for both Thanksgiving and Christmas has been a tradition of ours for many, many years. If it doesn't happen, I suppose I'll cook a Thanksgiving dinner for my son and I. Or maybe I'll just say heck with it and order a Thanksgiving dinner from Bob Evans, if they're doing that this year.

Are you still gathering with family? If not, what are your plans for a meal?

Hopefully, I am not having cardiac surgery for Thanksgiving this year.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Mom and Dad have a new neighbor, so Mom asked if she could invite him (apparently he's single). I told her it was fine, as long as she has no intention of match-making.

Inviting someone outside the family is Mom's way of being able to do Thanksgiving right, with all the fixings.

Just started my menu planning and working up a shopping list. I make many dishes/recipes in SMALL amounts. I am planning on trying several new recipes. We never have more than a day or two of leftovers for a meal and sandwiches and a pot of soup.

Hopefully, I am not having cardiac surgery for Thanksgiving this year.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Mom and Dad have a new neighbor, so Mom asked if she could invite him (apparently he's single). I told her it was fine, as long as she has no intention of match-making.

Inviting someone outside the family is Mom's way of being able to do Thanksgiving right, with all the fixings.

Here's hoping not! And mom's are funny that way.

Just started my menu planning and working up a shopping list. I make many dishes/recipes in SMALL amounts. I am planning on trying several new recipes. We never have more than a day or two of leftovers for a meal and sandwiches and a pot of soup.

I love Thanksgiving leftovers, but don't always take them home with me, even though there's always enough food to feed an army. One of my favorite leftover sandwiches, however, is turkey on toasted bread with Miracle Whip and cranberry sauce.

We live in a retirement community and usually have a traditional Thanksgiving event in the community building. We voted to close the community building in March and it remains closed. I will be cooking a turkey, size yet to be determined, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans from the garden, and pumpkin pie, for just DH and me. My sister who lives 6 houses down the road from me is not invited! We generally have individual celebrations for Christmas in this retirement community and I host Christmas dinner for my sister and her husband, but not this year. Dh and I will be dining alone this holiday season.

Tentative Menu Plans (May change)

(Lots of variety. Small batches of each side dish/appy and a small a turkey)

Appetizers

Cream Cheese, Green Olive and Walnuts Poppers
Marinated Mushrooms?
Stuffed Mushrooms?
Shrimp Cocktail

Entrée

Roasted Turkey
Green Bean Casserole (No Mushrooms & No Canned Soup)
Asparagus
Easy Baked Carrots
Creamed Pearl Onions
Sweet Potato & Acorn Squash
Mashed Turnip Root, Red and Yukon potatoes
Steamed Brussels Sprouts
Stuffing/Dressing
Sautéed mushrooms?
Turkey Gravy (Homemade)
Cranberry/Tangerine Relish (Homemade)
Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce (Homemade)

Dessert

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Whipped Cream
Baked Churro Chips & Dips (NEW Recipe)?

Beverages

Soda
Sparkling cranberry apple cider
Trader Joe's Apple Cider
Trader Joe's Egg Nog

Last edited:
Its sad that Covid 19 has changed/eliminated holiday dinner plans. :(

We are still undecided on plans but, we do get together @ D&SIL's for dinners so, will probably do that. If we do, it still won't be our usual celebration.

Ross

Right now it looks like we will not be having our typical gathering. I have a small place and there is no social distancing with six people around the kitchen and dining area.

I'm planning on making turkey porchetta.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/turkey-porchetta-food-lab-recipe.html

Since my daughters INSIST I never change a thing about Thanksgiving dinner, this may be my only chance.

Its sad that Covid 19 has changed/eliminated holiday dinner plans. :(

We are still undecided on plans but, we do get together @ D&SIL's for dinners so, will probably do that. If we do, it still won't be our usual celebration.

Ross

Yes it is. It makes me sad and angry at the same time. Our whole lives have been turned upside down. But, as they say, it is what it is and we learn to adapt. We'll get through it! Humans can be pretty resilient when needed.

Everyone's meal plans look and sound great! :yum:

Again, I don't know what I'm doing yet. But I'm sure I'll find out eventually. My son told me that if we cancel the family get-together and I cook at home, not to forget the baked beans. His Aunt Vicki, every year, adds a casserole of baked beans to the menu specifically for Shane. Everyone eats them, of course, but she does it mainly for him.

He's not spoiled, nope :glare:

It will just be the two of us, unless my neighbor is here for the holiday. She usually visits her family in upstate New York. If she doesn't, I'll invite her over. She's a professor who was on sabbatical last spring and teaching virtually now, so she's very low risk.

I'm deciding whether to do a whole turkey, or just a breast and two thighs (DH prefers dark meat and I prefer white meat, although we both will eat either one). That will also depend on whether we have a guest. Stuffing/dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cherry-balsamic sauce (instead of cranberry), roasted Brussels sprouts for him and carrots for me, soft, fluffy dinner rolls, pumpkin pie with honey instead of sugar.

To sustain me while I'm cooking, I'm going to put together a snack tray for breaks, along with a pitcher of apple cider sangria.

It was just the two of us for Canada's recent Thanksgiving, per the recommendation of our health authority.

Recommendations by several top medical experts in the U.S. also suggest a safe approach for this year given the circumstances is to forego the usual traditional family gathering.
Sad, but best.

Last edited:
Not sure. The Covid thing has thrown a monkey wrench into things. May be the two of us and no one else. We'll see.

No matter, we'll be fine.

Yes it has.

But I like what you said, that no matter, you'll be fine. We'll get through this, just like we get through everything else.

This too shall pass :winkiss:

I'll be cooking a full spread for the two of us. We were invited to dinner with friends but because of DH's medical issues we still don't feel comfortable being around others who we can't be sure are as diligent as we are about keeping safe, specially a group of 7 adults and 2 children.

For you who note our previous TG holidays, there will be no 25 + guests for the holiday meal. SO has a large family. We had one of her brother's on speaker and he innocently asked what he should think what to bring for dinner which caused SO to start crying and she had to verbalize they had to make their own dinner this year. It's been a long time getting to this point and Yesterday SO finally admitted it will be the ok with just the two of us this year
I mean, she now has a better attitude and more positive outlook. Feeling better is definitely a good sign.

We can Zoom with the Jr's family and still make a full meal deal.

We will order a smaller size turkey pretty soon (frozen) and hope they are available. We usually make a fairly traditional dinner menu, using several of Mom's recipes, as modified. stuffing/dressing, sweet potatoes minus the marshmallows, green bean casserole now homemade sauce not cream soup.

We stay home and really, holiday planning gives us something to look forward to.

Back
Top Bottom