What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I again visited my mother in her nursing home (where she is comfortably settled). I have 2 other siblings and so she is frequently visited.

I got her some peaches but they weren't the kind she normally likes, i.e. soft and juicy but still having a pronounced bite to them. I was surprised that she liked them! Her tastes changed after her 2nd stroke and seemed to have again with her growing dementia. She is a sweet, lovely woman of 94 who has overcome 2 strokes, a heart attack and - last xmas - pneumonia! :ohmy:

Looks like it's break time for a few of us around here! I'm resting my arms from drying my hair (need to get this mane chopped this fall) before I head out to go to three stores to do the grocery shopping I was able to knock off at one. Danged Family Feud! At least while I'm making the Aldi's run I can also return a pair of jeans to Target and stop at Lowe's. They're all at the same exit of the freeway.

These jeans are the strangest pair I have ever owned. When I bought them they were a nice length - just overly-long enough to allow for a bit of shrinkage. Even though I wash jeans in cold water I swear they shorten up a bit the first few times. Well, this pair grows! What was an inch above the ground is now ready to drag on the ground, even when I wear the exact same pair of shoes each time. :wacko: Himself suggested I just keep them and roll them. Um Honey? They're bell bottoms! Not gonna work...
I only buy jeans with a bit of elastane/lycra in them. Both for comfort and because they don't seem to shrink. They obviously stretch a bit in wear and then go back when washed but don't shrink as such. But "growing" is weird.

Men don't do "take it back" so don't listen to Himself.

Today I again visited my mother in her nursing home (where she is comfortably settled). I have 2 other siblings and so she is frequently visited.

I got her some peaches but they weren't the kind she normally likes, i.e. soft and juicy but still having a pronounced bite to them. I was surprised that she liked them! Her tastes changed after her 2nd stroke and seemed to have again with her growing dementia. She is a sweet, lovely woman of 94 who has overcome 2 strokes, a heart attack and - last xmas - pneumonia! :ohmy:
A very determined woman!

Thanks Mad Cook....yes I do know about alum sulphate. The thing is it is only sold in huge bags and my bush is quite small. You only need 1 tablespoon of it per year (so the colour change is very slow anyway). Upshot is I am reluctant to buy a big bag of something I only need a small quantity of.

I heard that rusty nails do a similar thing... Have those around the base of the small bush - to no effect.

Anyway, problem now sorted since - as mentioned - now have a lovely bright blue post inbetween the 2 clashing coloured plants.

Thanks for your post though.
Ok. But for anyone else who's interested it's available on Amazon UK (and probably on US Amazon) in 500g packs at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Glad to hear Poo's coming along well and is home.

And Boo to his wife.

Love
MC x

I have given him a couple of days to rest. I will call him tomorrow. He better not be thinking of going back to work yet. Or he might find me on his door step. :angel:

I cleaned out the fridge and freezer to make plenty of room for tomorrow's grocery goodies.

The counters are clear so I have room for all the bags I have to unpack, so I'm joining the resting crew.

The only thing I have left is to fine tune the grocery lists. I'll go through a list of favorite dishes looking for inspiration, add a few items to the lists, and I'm ready for shopping.

I spent all day troubleshooting my internet. Now my tablet and phone are finally back working just as they always have. Verizon was of no help. I figure a local tower or something must have gone down

I only buy jeans with a bit of elastane/lycra in them. Both for comfort and because they don't seem to shrink. They obviously stretch a bit in wear and then go back when washed but don't shrink as such. But "growing" is weird.

Men don't do "take it back" so don't listen to Himself.
These jeans did have lycra in them! I dunno what the problem was, but Target took them back with nary an issue.

BTW, when I have to return things to the store I tell Himself we have to go "un-shopping". That way he knows I'm not spending money but getting it back! :LOL:

I had a nap after lunch today, then a nice visit from the kids and their Mom. They were a little hyper seeing me at home, but were good to not be rough around my "owie". They stayed for just enough time to watch the movie Epic which was very good.

Then I had some soup for dinner and my best friend came and took me to Tim Horton's for an Ice Capp and a little air. Again, not too long a visit.

When I got home, two friends called and talked to me on the phone and then it was time for TB to come home.

I am hoping I get as good a night's sleep tonight as I did last night.

Waiting for 7:30 a.m. so I can start my monthly marathon shopping.

I'm using the time to review recipes looking for more ideas, but I'm running out of room on my shopping list!

Just got my latest order of wool so I will be spending part of the morning putting it into my inventory with prices and yardage, etc. It helps me when I go to use the yarn for products to sell. I found this wonderful notebook that records all the information including my patterns and finished product pictures.

It's starting to rain, so I'm going to make Steve Kroll's refrigerator pickles. I might also make candied ginger. And I'll make couscous salad with grilled veggies and vinaigrette dressing for dinner.

I'm back from shopping. All the groceries are put away, although there are some things that will need prep - separating, packaging, freezing some.

Most of the prep work can be put off until tomorrow after my back has had a chance to rest.

I got a huge (9.9 #) pork sirloin. It's cut into two pieces, one fairly large, the other huge.

The bigger piece is now braising in beer at 275°.

I got quite a few items that were lower sodium, but wish some of the chips companies would come out with less sodium products. I miss my snacks.

Just finished chopping up 3 pounds of bacon ends and dividing it into 4 equal portions, which are going to be fried up into homemade bacon bits for assorted recipes. I've already fried up two quantities and the house smells heavenly. Can't imagine why I'm craving breakfast!:rolleyes:

Drying out (not in that way!).

Got soaked tonight when I went to bring in Horse from the field. I've arrived home dripping from everywhere and reeking of wet horse! Sitting in my dressing gown and waiting for the water to heat up for a shower!

Drying out (not in that way!).

Got soaked tonight when I went to bring in Horse from the field. I've arrived home dripping from everywhere and reeking of wet horse! Sitting in my dressing gown and waiting for the water to heat up for a shower!

You don't have a water heater? How long does it take for the water to heat up?

Just got done prepping strawberries with honey and basil chiffonade for stirring into my morning yogurt. Never had strawberries this way, they taste wonderful! I hope they make it till morning and I only use 1/3 of them. It's supposed to last me three days.

Spent a good part of the day re-potting houseplants, now I'm cooling off inside. I love my houseplants, but they can be so needy. :ermm::LOL: Also went to a couple of yard sales earlier and found some fun stuff that needs to be put away - mostly Halloween and Christmas décor. Like I need more....

I'm hungry, so thinking about what sounds good to nibble on for dinner.

Last edited:
I talked to Poo today. He started his PT for his lungs. He won't even consider going back to work until he can breath for at least thirty minutes without getting out of breath. He figures that is the length of time he takes with each patient. He can sit down between patients. I am not happy with his thinking, but there is not much I can do about it. So I am just praying and hoping his boss stops him before he tries to go back to work. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom