What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guess the people inside the stadium would need binoculars to really see him too? :ermm:

I don't know if they do this in England, but in the U.S., there are huge screens in stadiums and other outdoor music venues that allow you to see the performer really well. Not as good as a small, intimate theater, but still nice :)

Steve, I'm jealous! I've always loved all of the Beatles, but especially Paul :wub:

Last edited:
I just finished my assignment for my magazine writing-class. Now I'm going to watch the news for a bit and figure out what the sides will be for dinner. DH wants to grill the bratwurst he bought the other day. Maybe German potato salad and pickled cucumbers. He's out bike riding right now.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. There were lots of people camped outside the stadium Saturday who said they could hear every note. :)

We'll get all the bands from the fair that starts tomorrow, too. There are several nice, shady parks that we can pick to hang out in for the concert. Front porch for the fair shows.

Just put another hard drive in my laptop. A year or so ago I put a new one in and a new OS, the first one died in a day, the replacement lasted a bit over a year, it still works, but was having lots of errors.

So now I have an SSD in the laptop, so we'll see how that goes. Sure does make this aging laptop feel fresh again!

Lights Out.

4th August - The centenary of the first day of the Great War as the First World War was called here after the fact and often still is. I don't suppose it has impacted much in the US as you weren't involved until 1917 but it's been a big thing on this side of the Atlantic.

BBC News - 'Lights Out' ends day of WW1 centenary commemorations

Both my grandfather's came through it but my mother's cousin was lost at sea in 1915 so I lit a candle. Will light another for him on January 2nd next year.

I meant to post this yesterday. This is what we did on Saturday. Mrs K and I, along with her brother and sister and their spouses all went to the Paul McCartney concert in Minneapolis at Target Field.

By far, it was the best concert I've ever seen in my life - and I've seen quite a few. For a 72-year old man, Sir Paul has the energy of a 30-something. He came out on stage and performed for nearly three hours straight. Almost 40 songs altogether, including many songs from the Beatles catalog. It was so nice to see him embrace his Beatles heritage. I remember a time when he steadfastly refused to play more than a handful of those songs, saying it was all water under the bridge and people should move on.

What a fun evening and one I'll remember for the rest of my life! I only hope I have half the energy he does when I'm 72.

img_1378776_0_10141d71eaa9f5c4185471420d469175.jpg

img_1378776_1_c9f9f5dd69cb9a912180ecb2075951f9.jpg

img_1378776_2_f2ce75a5df2de03c9f10628f0ea74c31.jpg

OH MY GOSH, how awesome, Steve!! :ohmy: I would so love to see Sir Paul in concert. Glad to hear he played so many of the fan faves. WOW...

Princess, I hope you can hear him there in Missoula and that's it's a memorable time. How fun to hear him without even leaving your home. :wub:

4th August - The centenary of the first day of the Great War as the First World War was called here after the fact and often still is. I don't suppose it has impacted much in the US as you weren't involved until 1917 but it's been a big thing on this side of the Atlantic.

BBC News - 'Lights Out' ends day of WW1 centenary commemorations

Both my grandfather's came through it but my mother's cousin was lost at sea in 1915 so I lit a candle. Will light another for him on January 2nd next year.

My uncle was the first soldier from East Boston to be killed in 1917. My father had a letter that he sent him when he was just ten years old from the front complaining about wet cigarettes. He was already dead by the time my father got it.

My aunt was given the choice of which square in Eastie that she wanted named in his honor. She chose the one up on White and Monmouth Street. It was closest to home and where he hung out as a kid with all his friends. A number of years ago a car crashed into the sign and knocked it down. It had been down a couple of years and I called the VFW. They had a new and much better sign put up in its place. On Armistice Day (yes I still call it that) they had a Dedication Ceremony in the pouring rain and played Taps. My sister and I both knew all the words and sang them in harmony. When we were done, one of the veterans with tears on his face, asked us if we would be able to be available for funeral services and other military dedications. So instead, we recorded the whole song in harmony and as far as I know they are still using it.

Day is done, gone the sun
From the lakes, from the hills, from the sky
All is well, safely rest
God is nigh.

Fading light dims the sight
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright
From afar, drawing near
Falls the night.

Thanks and praise for our days
Neath the sun, neath the stars, neath the sky
As we go, this we know
God is nigh.

Taps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a beatiful song and even more so when sung in harmony. :angel:

Last edited:
My great-great grandfather bought a farm in Michigan for my great-grandfather to run and live on, so he wouldn't be called to serve in World War I. Farmers were exempt from service because they were needed to feed the troops and the citizens and my great-great-grandfather didn't want his son fighting his cousins in Germany. He had just immigrated to the United States in the 1880s.

My great-great grandfather bought a farm in Michigan for my great-grandfather to run and live on, so he wouldn't be called to serve in World War I. Farmers were exempt from service because they were needed to feed the troops and the citizens and my great-great-grandfather didn't want his son fighting his cousins in Germany. He had just immigrated to the United States in the 1880s.

I just hope your great-grandfather liked being a farmer. It is a hard life. And at that time they didn't have the machinery that is available today. My father was exempt for WWII since he was working at the Boston Navy Shipyard. While working there, he went to walk on the plank from one ship to the next one. Whoever put the plank there didn't have it secured and my father fell down to the bottom of the drydock and landed on his feet. But the shock of landing so hard caused him to lose his sight in one eye. So that definitely made him 4F.

But I can easily understand your G-G grandfather not wanting his son to go to war. When Spike was learning to walk the doctor noticed that he was developing pronate feet. Turning inward. He wanted to put him in braces, but I refused. We still had the draft at that time and I didn't want him going off to war either. So I refused the braces. He still has pronate feet but not as bad as when he was a child. He managed to play sports and do everything any other child did. I had a HUGE fight with my second husband when I told him about it. It almost caused us to get divorced. But I still stand by what I did. No mother wants to see her child go off to war. :angel:

I am exhausted. I went shopping for groceries this morning. I should have taken a couple of Vicodin before I left the house. In both stores I had to walk the length of the store to find an electric cart. When I was at Shaw's, I was out of breath and started to get chest pains. I scared the hell out of a few folks. I opened my purse and grabbed my nitro spray. It was then the manager decided to go and find a cart for me. I had to sit there for about five minutes before I felt safe enough to start my shopping. Now I know why everyone in this town hates shopping there. Sticker shock? I almost passed out when I saw what they were. I bought the few items they had on sale and I had a coupon for. And I managed to get a loaf of uncut Italian bread right out of the oven. It was still hot when I picked it up. I wanted to tear of a piece and eat it right then. Then off to Stop and Shop. Good Lord! That store is huge. I spent more time just traveling from one end to the other to get the items on my list. Not knowing the layout didn't help either. Thank heavens I had Spike with me. He got half of my items for me. It took us more than three hours between driving and shopping. Never again. One store shopping for me from now on or I will just go hungry. DeMoula's better get this work stoppage settled before the first of September.

There were some items Spike will pick up for me at Home Depot. The huge commercial bottle of Dawn Dish Liquid, a BIG package of Bounty towels, and a couple of other things I can't remember right now. He has a $60 credit there and will use that for me. He is also registered as a licensed contractor so he gets these items at a reduced price. It will all be enough to last me for a year. Less money for me to have to spend and more in my pocket for the rest of the year. The last time he bought me the Dawn and Bounty was sometime early last year. I just ran out this week of both. Now I will have to figure out where I am going to store them.

I am going to take a nap now. :angel:

Last edited:
Just finished loading up my sons truck with all kinds of garbage.
The city does a twice a year thing where they will take anything and dispose of it for you, but couches and mattresses.The garage is cleaned up once again.It's always the little stuff boxed to toss that manage to accumulate so much junk.

Tomorrow Good will is stopping by to pick up the more useful things.
Downsizing has been a lot of fun.Less we have to take with us.

It's almost time.Few odds and ends and were going to be ready.

I just hope your great-grandfather liked being a farmer. It is a hard life. And at that time they didn't have the machinery that is available today. My father was exempt for WWII since he was working at the Boston Navy Shipyard. While working there, he went to walk on the plank from one ship to the next one. Whoever put the plank there didn't have it secured and my father fell down to the bottom of the drydock and landed on his feet. But the shock of landing so hard caused him to lose his sight in one eye. So that definitely made him 4F.

But I can easily understand your G-G grandfather not wanting his son to go to war. When Spike was learning to walk the doctor noticed that he was developing pronate feet. Turning inward. He wanted to put him in braces, but I refused. We still had the draft at that time and I didn't want him going off to war either. So I refused the braces. He still has pronate feet but not as bad as when he was a child. He managed to play sports and do everything any other child did. I had a HUGE fight with my second husband when I told him about it. It almost caused us to get divorced. But I still stand by what I did. No mother wants to see her child go off to war. :angel:
That would have been Vietnam, I suppose. Can't blame you for insisting.

Just finished loading up my sons truck with all kinds of garbage.
The city does a twice a year thing where they will take anything and dispose of it for you, but couches and mattresses.The garage is cleaned up once again.It's always the little stuff boxed to toss that manage to accumulate so much junk.

Tomorrow Good will is stopping by to pick up the more useful things.
Downsizing has been a lot of fun.Less we have to take with us.

It's almost time.Few odds and ends and were going to be ready.
I'm struggling with the downsizing. My furniture is mostly family hand-downs going back as far as the 1860s in a couple of examples. It suited my old house which was Victorian but it won't really go in this house which is 20th C. Mum's furniture does suit it so I expect that I'll be keeping that with certain exceptions. There isn't room here for my piano which was my grandmother's wedding present from her parents in 1915 and is a rather pretty burr walnut upright with boxwood marquetry and mother of pearl inlay decoration. I'll really miss it. Not sure what will happen to it as charity shops won't take it. I offered it on Freecycle but no-one replied.

I'm struggling with the downsizing. My furniture is mostly family hand-downs going back as far as the 1860s in a couple of examples. It suited my old house which was Victorian but it won't really go in this house which is 20th C. Mum's furniture does suit it so I expect that I'll be keeping that with certain exceptions. There isn't room here for my piano which was my grandmother's wedding present from her parents in 1915 and is a rather pretty burr walnut upright with boxwood marquetry and mother of pearl inlay decoration. I'll really miss it. Not sure what will happen to it as charity shops won't take it. I offered it on Freecycle but no-one replied.
That's sad that no one wants a pretty piano.

Have you tried selling it?

Staying inside tonight, between all the nuts out for the concert and the fair, driving is a real challenge. Besides, I don't want to lose my parking space.

So tired. I've spent most of the past 4 days helping a local private school get ready for the new school year starting mid August...cleaning, getting new curriculum out, sprucing up the playground...today was spent in a class getting re-certified for CPR and First Aid, tomorrow is a potluck for a friend's birthday...I am so tired, just want to sleep for three days. LOL

Downsizing can be very painful. Getting rid of memories is not an easy thing to do. When I moved in here, it killed me to give up my dining room set and china closet.

Today I went shopping for this month's groceries. Three hours when Spike and I are in and out in 45 minutes at DeMoula's. Good Lord, I hope they are back to work for next month's shopping. When I got home, I had a fridge full of meats that had to be broken down for the freezer. Since I live alone, I wrap the meats in individual pieces. And then they going into a large freezer zippy bag with the excess air pressed out. I had bought two London Broil pieces. They were quite large and I ground them down to hamburger. Marked the zippy bag and went onto the next meat. I started at 10 a.m. and worked until 8 p.m. I just knicked my knuckle with the point of my knife. Boy did that bleed. Being on two blood thinners really has my innards flowing. I am still not done. I have four more packages to do tomorrow. When I finally stopped tonight, I took a short nap and when I woke up, I could barely walk. That is the longest I have stood on my feet in quite a few years. So I stayed in bed with a couple of Vicodin. I used muscles today that aren't even on the doctors charts. Even my buttocks hurt when I try to walk.

I bought two peaches. I gently squeezed them and they had a gentle give. So I got up a little while ago and got one. I took a bite and had to grab a paper towel. I could taste the peach and it was so juicy. I ate it with the paper towel wrapped around it. The last time I had a peach that tasted so good and so juicy like that was back when I worked with the 4-H kids in Puyallup, WA. Poo was only four years old. He is approaching his mid 40's today. I am saving the other one for tomorrow night when I have my bowl of Cookies and Cream ice cream. I am going to have The Pirate take me back to the store to get some more. Who cares how much I am aching. All I can think of is that peach.

I just got up to go to the outhouse and my legs were shaking. I could hardly walk and certainly couldn't stand up straight. I definitely overdid it today. I think those other four packages are going to have to wait. I am off to bed. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom