What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a good idea and reminds me of something I did in a house I owned a hundred years ago. All the upper cabinets in the kitchen were open above, which was lovely for displaying things but a real pooper when it came to keeping the surface clean. Once a year, I would cut newspaper to fit the tops and layer 12 layers. Once a month I would peel off a layer and toss it.

I could conceivably do the same thing with the top of the refrigerator here but instead of using newspaper, I think I'll use freezer paper. I have plenty of that and rarely use it, except for making craft/sewing patterns.

Thanks for the mind jogger.:flowers:

Katie, I used to do commercial cleaning. Every time a commercial came on, I would jump up and clean some of the light fixture plates, wipe off the window sills, clean the top of the fridge, etc. It saved me many an all day cleaning binge. I even used to get the kids involved. With so many commercials on today, you could get a whole house done in just one night of watching TV. :angel:

Katie, I used to do commercial cleaning. Every time a commercial came on, I would jump up and clean some of the light fixture plates, wipe off the window sills, clean the top of the fridge, etc. It saved me many an all day cleaning binge. I even used to get the kids involved. With so many commercials on today, you could get a whole house done in just one night of watching TV. :angel:

One of my friends taught me that technique and I must say it works for me in my little apartment. I can clean the bathroom from top to bottom while watching an hour of television. I squirt the cleaner on one or two things during a commercial, allow it to work until the next commercial, wipe them down and squirt something else.

My friend also taught me to look around before pulling the plug on a nice sudsy sink full of hot water and see what needs wiping down.

My place never seems to get dirty and it never seems to get clean, everything just gets a lick and a promise as I putter around! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Amazing! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Katie,

Have you ever tried using a fabric topper to trap the dust and grime on the top of the refrigerator? My sister made me a couple and every so often I pull them off the fridge and toss them into the wash. They are just fabric squares the same size as the top of the fridge with a serged edge.

B :flowers:

OK, I had to look up "serged edge" but that's a good idea.

However, the new fridge is taller and even I can't see the dust on top.

That's a good idea and reminds me of something I did in a house I owned a hundred years ago. All the upper cabinets in the kitchen were open above, which was lovely for displaying things but a real pooper when it came to keeping the surface clean. Once a year, I would cut newspaper to fit the tops and layer 12 layers. Once a month I would peel off a layer and toss it.

I could conceivably do the same thing with the top of the refrigerator here but instead of using newspaper, I think I'll use freezer paper. I have plenty of that and rarely use it, except for making craft/sewing patterns.

Thanks for the mind jogger.:flowers:

I've seen people use plastic wrap, it's pretty much invisible and will cling nicely to the top of the fridge

One of my friends taught me that technique and I must say it works for me in my little apartment. I can clean the bathroom from top to bottom while watching an hour of television. I squirt the cleaner on one or two things during a commercial, allow it to work until the next commercial, wipe them down and squirt something else.

My friend also taught me to look around before pulling the plug on a nice sudsy sink full of hot water and see what needs wiping down.

My place never seems to get dirty and it never seems to get clean, everything just gets a lick and a promise as I putter around! :ermm: :ohmy::LOL:

I live in the city and when the window are open we get that dang city grit on the window sills. Don't put anything you don't want ruined in the sills in the summer. :angel:

I do this too! Not only do I get a load of chores done, but the constant running around every 15 minutes is a mini "workout" too! (We don't have quite so many ad breaks over here, but the principle is the same.) :)

Relaxin'. Daughter was here all afternoon doing her homework online, after she had a quick 30 minute power nap. :) I was quietly cleaning and doing stuff in other rooms. Don't know how she does it....she works almost full time (6 hours a day) and is taking 4 classes in Business Admin. Grandson Tyler stayed home with dad so she could come over here and do homework in peace. :ermm::LOL: I threw together a quickie dinner for us, just got done with dishes, fixin' to have a bowl of ice cream and search for a movie. :)

Marinating beef strips for jerky. I had found some nice looking eye round steaks on sale awhile back, and after inquiring both here and on Google, determined that eye round steaks are basically useless, except for making jerky. Which is fine, I like jerky.

Last edited:
Dealing with a mother-in-law.

She hates our backyard, how I made it so lovely. She said the mulch bed with the azaleas are tacky, and she hates the birdbath and the outside kitchen with the grill and the picnic table.

It's neat and clean and pretty and she hurt me by yelling at me today and I'm just trying to understand why she is like this.

I'm so tired of being judged by her.

And other than that, hubby will defend me, and we're going to snuggle up to a movie.

She hates our backyard, how I made it so lovely. She said the mulch bed with the azaleas are tacky, and she hates the birdbath and the outside kitchen with the grill and the picnic table.

It's neat and clean and pretty and she hurt me by yelling at me today and I'm just trying to understand why she is like this.

And other than that, hubby will defend me, and we're going to snuggle up to a movie.

Tell the MIL that when it becomes her backyard she will be welcome to make any changes she feels necessary.:angel:

Relaxin'. Daughter was here all afternoon doing her homework online, after she had a quick 30 minute power nap. :) I was quietly cleaning and doing stuff in other rooms. Don't know how she does it....she works almost full time (6 hours a day) and is taking 4 classes in Business Admin. Grandson Tyler stayed home with dad so she could come over here and do homework in peace. :ermm::LOL: I threw together a quickie dinner for us, just got done with dishes, fixin' to have a bowl of ice cream and search for a movie. :)

Everyone needs a quiet place to go to. Even if it is just for doing homework or simply relaxing. What a nice DH to give time of himself to his son. Win/Win all around. Daughter got homework done, You got some quality meal time with DD, and father/son also had a special time together. :angel:

Has she always been so critical of you? PF gave you some excellent advice. Or you could suggest a local park where the scenery is more to her liking. Offer to pack her a box lunch of P&B sandwiches she could take there. Make sure it is extra chunky and hide her dentures.

Hubby has your back and that is all that matters. You might ask him if he could possibly speak to her about being so critical of you. :angel:

Last month I was lured by a coupon off for paper towels that I would never buy. I prefer the Bounty "pick a size" double rolls towels. I also get the 12 pack. I keep a roll in the bathroom for sanitary reason. After wiping my hands from washing them, I use the towel to wipe out the sink and polish the faucets.

I ran out of towels in the kitchen, and since I use more there than in the bathroom, I took the roll from the bathroom and put it in the kitchen.

I now have my precious Bounty towels back. I can polish my chrome faucets and spouts in the bathroom, keep the sink spotless and even in the kitchen.

I will never be lured by a coupon off offer ever again from my favorites that I know and love for something that is cheaper. My chrome is shiny once again! :angel:

Addie, I know what you mean about having your favorite towels back, but I have found some new favorites by trying something with a coupon. I think that's why they offer the coupons.

Aunt Bea, I do the same with a sink full of suds.

I will also have to get back to the commercial cleaning. In the past, if I'm watching something and go into another room for some reason during a commercial, DH changes the channel, claiming that I wasn't watching it. Maybe I will hide the remote next time or take it with me.

Bakechef, I will try the plastic wrap on top of the refrigerator. I'm not sure how it will work, because DH keeps a little basket up there for his candy. He might end up pulling the plastic wrap off.

I was going to buy some crocosmia bulbs (attractive sprays of small orange flowers) when I came across a house that had, on the pavement, plastic bags containing these dug up bulbs; labelled 'free'! So what I have been doing today is obvious. :)

Oh also baking wholemeal bread.

Last edited:
I was going to buy some crocosmia bulbs (attractive sprays of small orange flowers) when I came across a house that had, on the pavement, plastic bags containing these dug up bulbs; labelled 'free'! So what I have been doing today is obvious. :)

Oh also baking wholemeal bread.

A lady in our neighborhood puts out free blubs too, so the other day I got some iris.

Yes I have put out pots of indoor plants, no longer wanted, and they were snapped up pretty quickly!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom