What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a rough night last night. Couldn't fall asleep. I finally fell into a nice deep sleep around two this afternoon. I wake up at 6:30 this evening totally confused. Look at the clock. Look out the window. Still daylight out. It must be 6:30 in the morning. In walks Pirate. What the heck is he doing here at that hour? Right behind him is Spike. Is something wrong? Both of the here this early in the day? I go out to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. Then I remember I am out of coffee. Spike has a large canister of coffee for me. I am now even more confused. How did he know I needed coffee?

Finally Pirate slowly explains everything to me. It is the same day as when I fell asleep. And my mind is clearing out the fog. Well, now I am fully aware of what is going on. Fortunately this doesn't happen to often. At my age it is just scary. Is this the onset of Alzheimer Disease? No. I was just in such a deep sleep. I am not ready for "the home."

I am ready to go back to bed. I need more sleep. :angel:

...The ribeye was a perfect medium rare, with a REALLY nice crust.
:shock: Good thing the crust was on the steak and not on your eyebrows. :brows: Seriously, glad nothing serious happened. However, that steak-searing experience really required a big glass of wine on the side.

DH never needs to know about your adventure. It will be our secret. ;)

:shock: Good thing the crust was on the steak and not on your eyebrows. :brows: Seriously, glad nothing serious happened. However, that steak-searing experience really required a big glass of wine on the side.

DH never needs to know about your adventure. It will be our secret. ;)

You got that right! Avocado oil apparently has a high smoke point, but not so high a burn point.

It was truly amazing to behold. I'm definitely going to keep a smothering lid out at all times. I'm happy that I didn't panic and grab the CI handle to pull the pan off the burner without a potholder.

My tip, when heating any oil, before adding food, turn heat off, remove pan from heat and add the steak or whatever. Wait about 15 seconds and place back on heat. No flame bursts and if it is cast iron you aren't losing any heat.

Good idea. I'd already cooked the ribeye on one side with no drama. I flipped it, and then the pyrotechnics began.

Am thinking ribeye fat may be more the culprit than the avocado oil.

Last edited:
I am getting ready to go to see my daughter. She will be in her pool. I will be sitting on the lounge. Then around noon, she will go inside and I will head back home. I don't want to have to climb the stairs to her home. Her son is having a party this afternoon and will need the yard. :angel:

I've never understood the cooks on TV spraying their pans anywhere they happen to be. The overspray ends up everywhere, floors, counters, stoves (fire hazard). I always do my spraying over the sink where any overspray can be cleaned up in the course of regular cleaning.

It may seem to all go in the pan, but not necessarily. I found out the hard way not to spray anywhere near the stove!

I've never understood the cooks on TV spraying their pans anywhere they happen to be. The overspray ends up everywhere, floors, counters, stoves (fire hazard). I always do my spraying over the sink where any overspray can be cleaned up in the course of regular cleaning.

It may seem to all go in the pan, but not necessarily. I found out the hard way not to spray anywhere near the stove!

Agreed! I spray my pans either over the sink for a small pan or for large pans, like a half sheet pan I open the dishwasher.
Now, we wouldn't be doing this if we had minions in our kitchens to clean everything up ;)

I just love the ones who give the pans a quick spray in just one spot. Like that is really going to work. Of course the camera doesn't show us the swap out. Do they really think we are that stupid? :angel:

When we had satellite I'd watch a few of those shows,maybe about 5 minutes was all I could tolerate.Patience isn't my strong point.Between their Minnie Mouse voices,fake smiles.To end up seeing a really dull looking meal.I gave up the ghost.Found DC...Ahhhh! Silence,education at it's best.

As far as them over spraying everything? Why not.They aren't the ones that have to clean it up.Doubt seriously if they even know what kind of spray they are using.Just as long as they show you to use a spray.

Just once I'd love to see them turn the can in the wrong direction.Spray themselves in the eye."GO FOR THE EYE'S!!!" That would be a wake up call to read the directions.:ROFLMAO::LOL::ohmy:

I don't use cooking spray. I use some oil and spread it with my silicone pastry brush, which goes in the dishwasher. Easy peasy.

Going to the dogs

Just got back from a 4 hour flight taking 4 small dogs from Long Beach to Paso Robles. Another pilot is taking them to the Bay Area for their forever homes

Fixin' to go down to the tire shop and have them put new tires on my car. Hoping it won't take more than an hour. :)

Small towns are the best as far as mechanics and car/tire service.
I think so! I pulled up in the dirt lot next to the tire place and barely got stopped when one of the guys came running up to me, greeted me, and moved my car where they needed it. Work started immediately and I was in and out of there in an hour.

The last time I needed an oil change I stopped in to my mechanic to make an appt. since I happened to be driving by. He had someone go ahead and do it right then since I was already there. :)

We have a vehicle repair shop in our neighborhood, which is in a small city. It might as well be a small town :LOL: DH will leave a vehicle there overnight; they have a slot in the door where you can drop the keys and a form with instructions on what you need done or checked and they'll take care of it. Then he walks home :)

I don't know what we would do without Rick. He also has a key slot.

He gave us a couple of free tshirts. His wife, however, is a piece of work...

Back
Top Bottom