What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Changing the subject slightly (although this snow and shut-in feeling I have had all day makes me just want to bop someone upside-the-head for almost no reason at all....so I am liking that thought....)

Instead, I made 3 dozen shortbread cookies. Unfortunately, not a cherry to decorate with, and raisins look....well, ugly. So I added a whole almond onto a few of them.

I simply roll out my dough, 1/4 inch thick, cut in squares with a knife (the way Grandma used to). Cook them until the edges are just a little brown.

Maybe I'll make a second batch, adding grated orange peel, and then dipping each cookie in chocolate after baking. Does that sound cheery?

I've never met a blueberry I didn't like.

Me too. I keep a bag of frozen wild blueberries in the freezer and toss some into a bowl of Cheerios or into some maple syrup for pancakes or waffles. There's nothing wrong with blueberry topping for a cheesecake.

Me too. I keep a bag of frozen wild blueberries in the freezer and toss some into a bowl of Cheerios or into some maple syrup for pancakes or waffles. There's nothing wrong with blueberry topping for a cheesecake.

There is nothing wrong with Blueberry topping on ANYTHING!:pig::pig::pig:

Soma said:
Changing the subject slightly (although this snow and shut-in feeling I have had all day makes me just want to bop someone upside-the-head for almost no reason at all....so I am liking that thought....)

Instead, I made 3 dozen shortbread cookies. Unfortunately, not a cherry to decorate with, and raisins look....well, ugly. So I added a whole almond onto a few of them.

I simply roll out my dough, 1/4 inch thick, cut in squares with a knife (the way Grandma used to). Cook them until the edges are just a little brown.

Maybe I'll make a second batch, adding grated orange peel, and then dipping each cookie in chocolate after baking. Does that sound cheery?

Oh, sounds yummy to me!

Timothy said:
I've never met a blueberry I didn't like.

I did once. It was a beautiful little blueberry; one of the wild ones that grow up here. I was about to pop it in my mouth when a little green spider crawled out of the blossom area at the top. I'm an arachnaphobe...

Blueberries no longer get thoroughly washed in my house. Instead, they get soaked in water for half an hour and then thoroughly washed and inspected.

I did once. It was a beautiful little blueberry; one of the wild ones that grow up here. I was about to pop it in my mouth when a little green spider crawled out of the blossom area at the top. I'm an arachnaphobe...

Blueberries no longer get thoroughly washed in my house. Instead, they get soaked in water for half an hour and then thoroughly washed and inspected.
Spiders freak me out also, and here I am living in the spider capital of the entire world! It takes me 30 minutes to do my web-walk before mowing. OMG, web-in-the-face with a spider dancing on my head! One of my worst phobias.

I am taking a break before I get my pies made. Starting to slow down. I got 28 cups of broth out of that 12 lb. $6.00 turkey I bought! I am happy about that.

The giblets are on now to cook, which is the last thing to cook except for the turkey. I just put the turkey in for its brine bath.

All the dishes, glassware and silver are clean and polished and I just took the tablecloth out of the closet. Napkins are ready, too.

Earlier today I made our pumpkin pie, a yummy cranberry relish side dish, a sweet potato-banana-honey casserole, assembled and put the cornbread dressing into the removable crock from the crock-pot, sliced butter for the rolls, dished up the olives, cut celery and carrots for our relish tray and assembled the tray and wrapped it with plastic wrap, peeled and cut the potatoes for mashed and put them in cold water. Put the homemade potato rolls out on the counter to come up to room temp to be warmed before dinner. Made the iced tea, prepped the coffee pot for coffee, set cranberry juice, white wine and sparkling grape juice into the refrigerator. Ice maker has done its job.

Have all I need to make the in-the-bird stuffing chopped and prepped and have all my tools ready to stuff the brined fowl. Looks like I'm ready for tomorrow. Just need a shower and some "feet up" time before bedtime.

Last edited:
Done for the night. Just put the turkey into the brine and carried it out and put it in the back of SO's SUV. Temp in the 30s so it's safe for the night.

I have the stock made for my dressing...that's it. You folks make me look lazy. I'll go into high gear in the morning. I work better under pressure anyway.

And I was sound asleep when y'all were either getting prepped for today or worrying about it, lol.

Prepping our "last minute" turkey dinner, we have been anticipating the birth of our 2nd grandchild which has been scheduled for next Wednesday (C-section) but there have been many indications that she would make an early entrance. I am to leave home the moment my daughter leaves for the hospital, (2.5 hour drive for me, a friend of DD will do honors until I arrive) so that I can care for granddaughter#1. This schedule hasn't been very friendly toward cooking a big meal. I didn't want to have it all prepped and then be called away, DH however, decided we (I) should cook a turkey breast, so we will have a mini feast while we wait to hear if a baby will be born today, or tomorrow or of the little stinker will wait until the scheduled day! Doesn't matter.....I am just "going with the flow"!

Sounds like an exciting day, Somebunny!

I'm just sitting here waiting for the time to come to start doing something. We're eating late in the day so I'm not under pressure right now.

I did notice we hit a new high for number of people on this site today. We hit over 4000 around 11:00 AM EST!

I'm sitting here listening to the roofers tearing off my roof...
I'm also contemplating my dinner.

Back
Top Bottom