What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy brands I know. If they would put the ingredients, I would get some other stuff. I get almost all my groceries online and get them delivered. I started doing it when I was bedridden with a bad back. I use IGA, a "regular" supermarket and something called "Lufa Farms". They get stuff from (mostly) local suppliers, as well as growing a lot of stuff in greenhouses on the roofs of urban buildings. They are really good about listing ingredients and telling you where the item comes from, as well as a short write up of the producer. I can get Canadian caught seafood. If I buy from a regular store, I often have no idea where the seafood comes from. Lufa delivers too, and they use electric cars for the deliveries. I pay online with a credit card for both IGA and Lufa. The extra cost of delivery seems worth it to me. I do have to be home for a two or five hour "window" when I'm expecting a delivery.

So, though there can be some annoyance, I will probably keep ordering most of my food online. We do get a few things from the local deli and the local health food store. In my case, it's particularly nice to have it delivered. I have underground parking and have to schlep anything I buy a ways and then up the stairs. If I were to park on the street to avoid the stairs, I would have to schlep it even further from the sidewalk.

With winter coming, we have been discussing this subject. At 80, I'm not too keen on driving to shop in snow or icy conditions.

I've thought of making a list of staple and frequently purchased items, to make ordering more simple and to get it correct.. Brand, size, etc.

I want to see if this can work for us.

Ross

With winter coming, we have been discussing this subject. At 80, I'm not too keen on driving to shop in snow or icy conditions.

I've thought of making a list of staple and frequently purchased items, to make ordering more simple and to get it correct.. Brand, size, etc.

I want to see if this can work for us.

Ross

I forgot to mention that I get a seniors discount on the delivery from IGA. If it doesn't say anything about it on the website, phone the store and ask them. I get it because the delivery person told them I look like a senior and the next time I spoke with them by phone, the lady asked. IGA phones me whenever they are out of something in my order to find out if I want another brand or size. I don't think that is very common. Lufa doesn't and neither does Metro, a store I don't use often.

Check with the stores in your area if some of them are willing to do phone orders. There are some stores in my area that do phone orders, but not internet. At least one of the ones around here lists their products online, but doesn't let you place the order online. They do list phone number and hours for placing a phone order on their website.

I forgot to mention that I get a seniors discount on the delivery from IGA. If it doesn't say anything about it on the website, phone the store and ask them. I get it because the delivery person told them I look like a senior and the next time I spoke with them by phone, the lady asked. IGA phones me whenever they are out of something in my order to find out if I want another brand or size. I don't think that is very common. Lufa doesn't and neither does Metro, a store I don't use often.

Check with the stores in your area if some of them are willing to do phone orders. There are some stores in my area that do phone orders, but not internet. At least one of the ones around here lists their products online, but doesn't let you place the order online. They do list phone number and hours for placing a phone order on their website.

Thank you for the information. The stores we shop at do have this service @ a reasonable charge. :)

Going to look into it..

Ross

Just made a pot of minestrone with some of my homemade chicken stock for this afternoon's main meal. It's a favorite.

I buy brands I know. If they would put the ingredients, I would get some other stuff. I get almost all my groceries online and get them delivered. I started doing it when I was bedridden with a bad back. I use IGA, a "regular" supermarket and something called "Lufa Farms". They get stuff from (mostly) local suppliers, as well as growing a lot of stuff in greenhouses on the roofs of urban buildings. They are really good about listing ingredients and telling you where the item comes from, as well as a short write up of the producer. I can get Canadian caught seafood. If I buy from a regular store, I often have no idea where the seafood comes from. Lufa delivers too, and they use electric cars for the deliveries. I pay online with a credit card for both IGA and Lufa. The extra cost of delivery seems worth it to me. I do have to be home for a two or five hour "window" when I'm expecting a delivery.

So, though there can be some annoyance, I will probably keep ordering most of my food online. We do get a few things from the local deli and the local health food store. In my case, it's particularly nice to have it delivered. I have underground parking and have to schlep anything I buy a ways and then up the stairs. If I were to park on the street to avoid the stairs, I would have to schlep it even further from the sidewalk.

Well it definitely sounds like this is something you benefit from, considering the situation. It would especially be a benefit to someone, like yourself, who was bedridden and/or someone home sick with the flu, etc, plus with the parking situation. I'll keep it in mind, should I ever need the service for such a reason.

It's not that I've never purchased 'groceries' online. I love shopping for new food items, have bought stuff from online German delis, Omaha Steaks, purchase things online that I can no longer find in the stores, that sort of thing. I've just never done an actual full round of grocery shopping, as though I would be doing going to the store on my own.

Last edited:
I'm sitting in my rapidly darkening house. We have been having serious wind and our power has been out since a bit after 6AM. There are so many power outages that HydroQuébec isn't estimating when power will be back. I will heat some soup for supper.

???? taxy, do you have a seriously BIG candle to heat your soup with?

LOL, I've been without Hydro since sometime in the middle of the night. Thankfully my generator is busy busy.

My neighbours in the middle of their kitchen reno's had their generator crash, so no water, no nothing. Filled a couple of 5 gallon jugs for them.

Also meant to mention I only just got the internet back around 4 pm, but still no power.

You guys stay warm. I hate power outages when it's cold. One year we had a really bad ice storm and we were without power for 3 days. We stayed warm using the fireplace and I literally put all of our frozen food in bags and set it all outside in the ice/snow to keep it from defrosting. Made some good use of that ice anyway.

After that episode, I bought a little camp stove and canned camp heat because we were craving something warm. Hot soup would have been heavenly during that time, but we had no way of heating any food. So we survived on sandwiches and snacks and things like Vienna sausages, canned tuna, that sort of thing. We couldn't get out to go to the store, so we had to rely on what we already had in the house. No food delivery, either, as our local pizza joints were also without power.

Worked late in the field and missed Trick or treating. Boys had a blast and made out pretty good. FB_IMG_1572609420514.jpgFB_IMG_1572609430390.jpg

???? taxy, do you have a seriously BIG candle to heat your soup with?

LOL, I've been without Hydro since sometime in the middle of the night. Thankfully my generator is busy busy.

My neighbours in the middle of their kitchen reno's had their generator crash, so no water, no nothing. Filled a couple of 5 gallon jugs for them.

Also meant to mention I only just got the internet back around 4 pm, but still no power.

I only have internet through my phone. Thank goodness I have far more data than I have ever needed. I have something called a Thunder Range. It's a single burner that runs on butane. We got it after the ice storm, when we were without power for eight days.

Attachments

• IMG_20191101_211718.jpg
    IMG_20191101_211718.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 77
Good on you taxy. I think more people should have one of those emergency burners for times like this. I have a feeling that we will be having more issues as the climate changes.

When our family camped I always had a burner around somewhere. But we never lost power back then for days on end.

During our ice storm... 97/98? we were without power for 18 days. We were on city water which was still flowing and had a gas stove and wood fireplace. Although internet and cell phones were around they weren't attached to our hips like they are nowadays so have no idea what that situ was like.

Woke up this morning with still no power and an ominous "red sky in the morning" signal. and luckily two towns away (where my provider is) still has their power. I only have a small amount of data on my phone so yesterday was a cleansing of internet addiction for me. :rolleyes:

I normally park my van under a humongous tree. I move it during heavy wind storms/ice storms/snow. Ever since the day I came home and found the 15 foot top of the next pine tree in my parking spot.

Yup, came back on about 18:xx something. Was busy outside so not sure.

Poor neighbours finally got their new generator installed just to have the power come back within the hour! LOL ain't life grand!

Yup, came back on about 18:xx something. Was busy outside so not sure.

Poor neighbours finally got their new generator installed just to have the power come back within the hour! LOL ain't life grand!

I would thank the neighbour for making the power come back. We had our air conditioning installed during a horrible heat wave. The heat wave broke the same day. Damn tootin' I took credit. :LOL:

I'm glad to read that you got your power back on.

I'm considering staying up all night to get things ready for vacation. Once again, I've put too much off for the last couple of days. Still, we'll get out of here on Monday some way or another - we always do! :LOL: I still have one more day to bake scones, change sheets, pack...gotta get offline!

If I'm not back before we leave, you all be good. ;) Stay safe. And check to see if any birthdays of note are coming around. If I'm using my phone or tablet, I don't get to see those kinds of things. Laptop will be tucked into its travel case Sunday evening and won't come out until we're settled in at Fort Myers Beach - probably Saturday morning.

Have a great trip CG.

Taxi and Dragn, we bit the bullet and bought a generator last week because of all the power cutoff's during this fire season to try and prevent fires. Sadly, power cutoff's will be the new norm in these parts for this time of year. It's big enough to keep our food from spoiling, but not big enough to run the AC. This episode has been a cooler Devil Wind, but most times it's hotter than hell..no lie. I may have to kill sumpin when those dang winds blow so hot. I have a gas stove for cooking, so I can bypass the electric ignition with a lighter.
Anyway, it turns out that this big fire on our mountain started up there within minutes of a transformer being turned back on. Geeze oh Pete!!!:w00t2::mad::censored:

Have a great trip, CG! Hope you're able to stop in southeastern Virginia on the way back.

DH is harvesting honey from our two hives right now and I'm decanting last spring's honey into jars for sale and gifts.
1103191207a.jpg

Taxy and dragn, so glad you have your power back!

Kay, good thing you and SC bought a generator but sad that you were forced to due to the fires. :(

CG, have a wonderful vacay! I know how much you look forward to time with the kids. :)

GG....that liquid gold from your precious bees looks so beautiful.

Not much new here....thinking of things to do in the evenings now that it's going to be dark at freakin' 5PM-ish. :glare: Going to Joann's tomorrow or the next day to get fleece fabric to make no-sew blankets for my granddaughters for Christmas presents, and hoping to save working on them until the evenings when there's not much else to do....lol

Back
Top Bottom