What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(((hugs))) PF

and a cuppa coffee with some cake

cuppa coffee.jpg

Best Rum cake.jpg

Well, I'm into my 4th month living in a trailer and it's been...both fun and not fun. We've had rain to end all rain (over 27 inches last month in my area from what I understand and 16 inches in the month of December), windstorms, and snow (I had about 7 inches in my yard). My trailer leaked, the contractor threw a tarp over it, and we just finished having a week of sunshine, although with cold temperatures. It's hard to cook when your olive oil gels up.

The good news is I may get electricity sooner and cheaper than I originally thought, maybe by the end of summer (please, please, please!). The bad news is how fast things can go south.

I've had a headlight out for a couple months now and I was finally stopped for it and given a warning. I own a PT Cruiser, which means that in order to change out the headlight, the wheel and casing needs to be taken off. That means my mechanic has to do that and that costs $40.

So naturally, this is all after I paid the contractor and bought food, paid some bills, etc. All I could do was explain to the storage people where my stuff was in storage that I wouldn't be able to pay the bill until March when my SSDI comes in. I used that money to get the headlight changed.

Last month I sold a dollhouse on eBay. When I received payment, money had already been taken out so I assumed that was the selling fee. Then, about 3 weeks later, I received an invoice asking for $25, which was eBay's 10% for the dollhouse. I very stupidly didn't completely read the invoice and thought I would pay it in March.

Come to find out eBay automatically takes those fees out through Paypal and when they tried and couldn't, I got an NSF fee. That's when I finally read the invoice through and realized they would keep trying to take the money out.

So now I'm stuck with a phone with no minutes on it and unable to contact either eBay or Paypal. So I went to my bank and the manager there recommended I close my account out so I wouldn't get anymore NSF fees, which could have gone over $200 by the time March rolled around. I did that and then made some fast tracks to the Social Security office to get my SSDI onto a card.

I guess I got there on the cutoff date but in the meantime, it's still possible the SSDI will try to go into my checking account and bounce back to SS, which may take until the 9th of March to get rerouted to my card.

So here I sit, not knowing whether or not I will have money coming in on the 3rd, my bills due, the storage rental fees due, owing the contractor for the last payment, a quarter tank of gas in my car, enough food till just the 3rd, and no minutes on my phone.

You know, if it wasn't so serious, it would be downright funny. Things were going great and then WHUMP! just like that, everything went haywire.

Anyhoo, one of my friends will help me out but still, it's just one more thing to worry about. When the electric goes in, the contractor said if I didn't have enough to pay for it all, I could just keep paying him until it's paid off. I'll do that, but I'm going to negotiate a lower monthly payment. I found I could live pretty well on less than $400 a month (bills, food, gas, propane, laundry, etc), but I think I just found out the hard way that I need a cushion in case things go sideways. LOL

Oh, and it's a good thing I had the headlight replaced. The other one went out a couple days ago. :blink:

Last edited:
Yeah, it's been smacking me upside the head all week. Emotional mess me.

Thanks, Taxy!
The waves of grief smashed me against the rocks all day. My first birthday without my Momma, my 4th without my bro. I am truly alone except for my Dad. I have been on a rollercoaster all week. Hugs to you. Hard to believe two years have passed...

The waves of grief smashed me against the rocks all day. My first birthday without my Momma, my 4th without my bro. I am truly alone except for my Dad. I have been on a rollercoaster all week. Hugs to you. Hard to believe two years have passed...

Hugs back to you. This grief crap is hard.

Hugs back to you. This grief crap is hard.
You got that right. I suppressed grieving for my brother because I had to care for my Mom, so now I'm doing double-time. They say it only hurts for a little while...that's bs. I don't know who they are...or where they got their information. Huge hugs back. I kinda have a sense of what you've been going through.

Last edited:
What Are You Doing?

Putting away my haul from a new-to-me market that I found.
Here "in the middle of the desert", there's loads of Hispanic Market.

I was watching Chef John's YouTube video for Beef And Barley Stew.
Also, the discussion started by Kevin ISO Beef Barley Soup recipes.
Andy lit that lightbulb over my head to use Beef Shank rather than Chuck.
Try and find Beef Shank though!
I called allover town, and then I remembered that "Mexcian Market' that just finished re-doing their parking lot and expanding to the space next door.

FANTASTICO!!!

IMG_5558.jpg

IMG_5559.jpg

They had the most beautiful Beef Shanks I think I've ever seen. But then this is Cattle Country, what with all the Cowboys, Ranches and all.
That is super fresh meat too, very little "bleed", no off smells, nice amount of meat to fat ratio... AND Bone Marrow all the way through, just Chef John said to look for! I must admit though, I was so danged excited at the time, that I totally forgot about that point until I got home to put my stash away :LOL:

Another reason for my giddy demeanor was they also have a cut of Beef that I had yet to find here on the mainland.
We've lived here for going on 13 years and this is the first time I found Flanken Cut Ribs.

IMG_5554.jpg

Why, you ask, am I so excited about that?
KALBI, or Galbi !!!! Korean-Style Marinated Short Ribs OH_MY_GAWD!!! :ohmy:

IMG_5555.jpg

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

I put these guys to soak, with some Noh brand marinade that I had, until tomorrow, when I will grill them to a perfect medium, serve them with some of my Quick Cucumber Kim Chee (or Kimchi-however you like to spell it) and some ever present steamed White Rice :yum:

As I meandered through the store, I found the best looking Guacamole I've ever seen!

IMG_5552.jpg

IMG_5553.jpg

Can you see how 'chunky' that is? SUPER YUMMY!!!
We'll eat the rest of this later with a cerveza :w00t:

IMG_5551.jpg

When I was researching this market yesterday, I noticed a lot of folks recommending the fresh Tortillas … $4.99/dozen, not bad, and they had just made them... they were still hot even after my other shopping!

BUT WAIT!

I had left the house in a hurry, and didn't get any breakfast...

IMG_5546.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg

Carne Asada, Salsa Bar on the side, fresh Flour Tortilla :wub:
I've found my new-go-to for a bite on my own while doing my shopping.

This Market has been added to my "usual stores" as DH refers to my food shopping excursions.

Fresh meats (I'm going back to try their Pork next time), some produce, pantry staples and a small Taqueria with a coupla tables to INHALE your food!
I'm lovin' this market!

Putting away my haul from a new-to-me market that I found.
Here "in the middle of the desert", there's loads of Hispanic Market.

I love those little Mexican grocery stores with terrific meat counters. If you don't know of one nearby try searching Google or Google Maps for "carniceria".

These markets are often very ethnic though. What I mean is, in my experience, the guy behind the counter might not speak any English. I've asked for those beef shanks you're raving about by saying beef and taping my ankle. :)

I pulled the fan out of hood over my stove this afternoon. It needed oiling and
inspection. No problems other than just badly needing oiling. Took the fan blade off and cleaned it of a greasy film and put it back together.

Next, I went outside to inspect the vent exhaust. This time of year small birds try to nest in it. I had some 1/4 inch screen on hand so I measured an cut
a piece that would fit tightly and prevent the birds from getting in there.

Now it works like new and if I need it when cooking it will be ready and dependable.

Then I did a complete cleaning of the exterior surfaces.

You got that right. I suppressed grieving for my brother because I had to care for my Mom, so now I'm doing double-time. They say it only hurts for a little while...that's bs. I don't know who they are...or where they got their information. Huge hugs back. I kinda have a sense of what you've been going through.

I totally understand. It never really gets easier. It's been a year and a half since I lost my husband to cancer (he passed away September 22, 2018) and it not only still blows me away that he's gone, but that it's been over a year already. And, for me, it feels like just yesterday.

I love those little Mexican grocery stores with terrific meat counters. If you don't know of one nearby try searching Google or Google Maps for "carniceria".

These markets are often very ethnic though. What I mean is, in my experience, the guy behind the counter might not speak any English. I've asked for those beef shanks you're raving about by saying beef and taping my ankle. :)

Right!
We have loads around these parts of Cowboyville.
Arizona is Cattle Country, loads of Ranches all around.
But I just never went into a Carnicería before,
WOW!!!
Amazing!
I know a bit of Spanish, understand better than speak, but we got along well today, and I'll tell you what... I can't wait to go back there again!

Nope, I have several that change themselves and I'm waiting to change the last one when I feed the cats. That way I can tell the truth about it's not time, yet!

We don't have many of those new fangled gizmos that change time automatically except for computer/tablet/phones. All appliance clocks have to be done. Already changed the regulator.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom