What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow taxlady, that was possibly the deal of your lifetime.

By that time automatic transmissions had improved so much that it was possible for them to reach well over 300K miles before they would have to be replaced. So the whole auto/truck industry was beginning to turn to them.

The Minister of my Church (where I often cook) is a retired Auto Transmission Engineer from GMC, and we've talked about this at some length and the reasoning for it. The standard has to have clutches replaced and much of that depends on the driver(s) habits. That is hard to forecast where the auto transmission allows a better prediction for maintenance. Also anyone who can drive could usually be taught to drive something like a Step Van.

Another thing was that manufacturers began to offer only bare bones trucks with standard transmissions. To get something nice and well equipped....it only came with an automatic transmission.

Over the long run the cost of a clutch replacement in a standard would pay for the extra cost in fuel the automatic transmission would use. Things like "lock up torque converters" made the car or truck operate like a standard in high gear once at cruising speed. Overdrive options have added increased mileage.

If you were driving it today taxlady, you'd be the Queen of the highway.

See if this brings back some memories

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...EE27A45BCEC1BA564916EE2&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Wow taxlady, that was possibly the deal of your lifetime.

<snip>

If you were driving it today taxlady, you'd be the Queen of the highway.

See if this brings back some memories

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...EE27A45BCEC1BA564916EE2&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Mine was shorter. I had forgotten that access to the engine was inside. That was convenient. I could check oil and top it up, without having to deal with weather. Also, in that era, I didn't really like having strangers check my oil. Too often, the men pumping gas at service stations would try to pull something on the woman, who they presumed wouldn't know how anything about the mechanical aspects of the vehicle.

My back doors were gone. The sink and kitchen counter were across the back. There was also some added storage on the outside, on either side of the back window.

If I were single I could see myself dwelling in a van or in a tiny house, a vast contrast from my current 2- bedroom, 3100 sq/ft home which I’ve lived in with my wife for the last 30 years. I’m a minimalist, and my wife, the opposite end of the scale.

I had a passel of bolting cilantro, so I clipped it to harvest the green seeds and made some pickled green coriander seeds out of them. Supposedly they go in marinades, sauces, and dressings. I can't wait to give them a try. I actually nibble them right off the plant at times.
I wouldn't mind to know more about the uses of it or some of the recipes. Pickled seeds
are a new item to me.
I had pickled mustard seeds for the first time at a Chef's Table event a few years ago, where a local chef gives a cooking demonstration, you get a full meal with wine, and a copy of all the recipes.

They were part of the appetizer plate with other pickled items - ramps and fiddlehead ferns - as well as deviled eggs. They were delicious on top of the eggs. I made a jar months ago. I use them as a garnish on rich meats and sometimes in salads and on sandwiches.

I just found this recipe for them, from Chef David Chang of Momofuku, along with several other recipes that make up a meal. Sounds amazing. Scroll way down for the pickled mustard seeds: https://primandprimal.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/momofuku-barbecue/

Wow GG, thanks for taking the time to mention that for me. And just in time to
get ready for when the garden plants go to seed. I've stocked up on vinegar
as it's been on sale recently (canning season ya know)

Last time I was in New England visiting family my cousin served fiddle head ferns with some sea food items. She said it was something the "Bake Masters" offered on the shore dinners when she was a kid. She got her "Hospitality" from Johnston & Wales and was always on the look out for anything different to work into her party menus. I'm sure she would get a charge out of these pickled seeds.

Beautiful flower arrangements, but agree with most everyone's assessment on those delivered to Kayelle's DIL. The cobalt vase looks really pretty though. I have a ruby glass vase exactly like CG's, but have no talent in arranging flowers. I just stuff them in a glass with water and fluff them a bit like I know what I am doing hoping for the best.

The smoked cheeses look amazing.

I had a passel of bolting cilantro, so I clipped it to harvest the green seeds and made some pickled green coriander seeds out of them. Supposedly they go in marinades, sauces, and dressings. I can't wait to give them a try. I actually nibble them right off the plant at times.

Hi Kathleen! I smile every time I see your name lately as I'm tickled you're back like the old days.

About the flowers for my DIL, I have talked with her and she's crazy about the beautiful cobalt vase so I hope that's where the $ went, and she'll be happy with having it when the flowers are gone.

She's really easy for me to love because she is quite obvious about her love for my son. A MIL, can't wish for more than that for sure.

I really like the idea of the coriander seeds and can't wait to learn more.

Day camp at the beach

Today was the last day before the beaches here on the beautiful Central Coast of California were closed for the holiday. Kayelle and I drove out to a spot on the beach only known to locals. There we set up our day camp.
I had picked up a big sub, chips and a small carrot cake at the market, so Kayelle packaged everything in our Playmate including paper plates, a trash bag and utensils.

We always have two nice folding chairs in the back of her car. Today we added a wooden TV tray and an 8 foot beach umbrella. The site had a K-rail at the end of the lot, and the loops at the end were just the right opening to hold the umbrella. We were there for quite some time, and it really made our day.
Our spirits are renewed. To quote Capt. Ramius of the Red October, (my favorite movie-I even know the Russian dialog) "The sea will grant each person new hope".

Attached is the view we had with Kayelle in our day camp.

Attachments

• daycamp1.jpg
    daycamp1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 80
Road fix, If you could get your wife out there in one of these rolling homes for a few weekends she may come to realize how much the things "she owns" have come to "own her". Quite often people come to this realization shortly after retirement after a lifetime of acquiring "things".

The key to this is not just getting rid of everything, but to get rid of only those things that don't add significantly to your life and bring you joy for having them around. Some people are taking photos of the things they are about to sell and posting them in a photo hosting site and saving them to a jump drive. Then they can always go back and visit them if they feel the need. Have your own little online museum of things you've owned. :)

Then learn to own items which can be used for several purposes. The market is cluttered with so many single purpose items today. These tend to show up in the Holiday gift giving season. Who really benefits from them ? So many of these same items show up in the first yard sales of the spring still new in unopened boxes. Again, who benefits........

Jeff Bezos ?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-01/bezos-s-wealth-soars-to-171-6-billion-to-top-pre-divorce-record

I had pickled mustard seeds for the first time at a Chef's Table event a few years ago, where a local chef gives a cooking demonstration, you get a full meal with wine, and a copy of all the recipes.

They were part of the appetizer plate with other pickled items - ramps and fiddlehead ferns - as well as deviled eggs. They were delicious on top of the eggs. I made a jar months ago. I use them as a garnish on rich meats and sometimes in salads and on sandwiches.

I just found this recipe for them, from Chef David Chang of Momofuku, along with several other recipes that make up a meal. Sounds amazing. Scroll way down for the pickled mustard seeds: https://primandprimal.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/momofuku-barbecue/

I wonder what she would do with my pickled green coriander seeds....

Hi Kathleen! I smile every time I see your name lately as I'm tickled you're back like the old days.

About the flowers for my DIL, I have talked with her and she's crazy about the beautiful cobalt vase so I hope that's where the $ went, and she'll be happy with having it when the flowers are gone.

She's really easy for me to love because she is quite obvious about her love for my son. A MIL, can't wish for more than that for sure.

I really like the idea of the coriander seeds and can't wait to learn more.

It is good to be back. I've missed everyone. :heart: The blue is lovely in a vase. And I will share what I do with the pickled seeds when they are ready. :chef:

Wow GG, thanks for taking the time to mention that for me. And just in time to
get ready for when the garden plants go to seed. I've stocked up on vinegar
as it's been on sale recently (canning season ya know)

Last time I was in New England visiting family my cousin served fiddle head ferns with some sea food items. She said it was something the "Bake Masters" offered on the shore dinners when she was a kid. She got her "Hospitality" from Johnston & Wales and was always on the look out for anything different to work into her party menus. I'm sure she would get a charge out of these pickled seeds.

I think they will go well with seafood! As for a gal who loves her things, some of us are not ready for downsizing so "Don't touch our stuff!" :ROFLMAO:

Today was the last day before the beaches here on the beautiful Central Coast of California were closed for the holiday. Kayelle and I drove out to a spot on the beach only known to locals. There we set up our day camp.
I had picked up a big sub, chips and a small carrot cake at the market, so Kayelle packaged everything in our Playmate including paper plates, a trash bag and utensils.

We always have two nice folding chairs in the back of her car. Today we added a wooden TV tray and an 8 foot beach umbrella. The site had a K-rail at the end of the lot, and the loops at the end were just the right opening to hold the umbrella. We were there for quite some time, and it really made our day.
Our spirits are renewed. To quote Capt. Ramius of the Red October, (my favorite movie-I even know the Russian dialog) "The sea will grant each person new hope".

Attached is the view we had with Kayelle in our day camp.

That sounds like a perfect way to enjoy a perfect day!

Today we are celebrating two birthdays. Scamp, the Schnauzer, turned 15 yesterday and Peanut, our lab/boxer mix turns 14 tomorrow. Doggie celebration dinner is turkey burgers and rice. Dessert will be Frosty Paws doggie "ice cream". Next doggie birthdays are Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, 15 and 19 respectively. IMG_20200703_184533.jpg20200703_184242.jpg20200703_184412.jpg20200703_184433.jpg

I hate to be maudlin... but I have a serious couple of leaky eyes looking at Scamp and Peanut...

Happy birthday guys! hope you have many biscuits under all the birthday wraps!

How fun, Dave! Glad the doggos had a good birthday!

Caffeine Latte de Cappuccino (my Latte kitty) will be 22 years old tomorrow.

They say thank you! They all had a good evening and doggie dinner was a success! All four are quite spoiled. LoL

Please wish Miss de Cappuccino a very Happy birthday from the two and four legged members of the household!

I hate to be maudlin... but I have a serious couple of leaky eyes looking at Scamp and Peanut...

Happy birthday guys! hope you have many biscuits under all the birthday wraps!

How fun, Dave! Glad the doggos had a good birthday!

Caffeine Latte de Cappuccino (my Latte kitty) will be 22 years old tomorrow.

Oh my gosh, roadfix, I swear we heard more fireworks going off tonight than we do when all of the towns around us have official firework displays! The a$$hat next door to us was shooting them off in his back yard. I've been sitting in the sun room reading...and making sure none of them headed into our woods. It was bad enough that a couple looked like they were heading my way! I'll probably have to walk the lot tomorrow to pick up debris because he's too thoughtless to think of it. I might return the "favor" and just pitch them into his yard.

Oh my gosh, roadfix, I swear we heard more fireworks going off tonight than we do when all of the towns around us have official firework displays! The a$$hat next door to us was shooting them off in his back yard. I've been sitting in the sun room reading...and making sure none of them headed into our woods. It was bad enough that a couple looked like they were heading my way! I'll probably have to walk the lot tomorrow to pick up debris because he's too thoughtless to think of it. I might return the "favor" and just pitch them into his yard.

Pitching the debris into his yard seems very appropriate. I hope you do it.

I'm sure there are many homes around here happy that the fireworks were all cancelled. Dogs coming out from under the beds!

We have two holidays, exactly one week apart. June 24th, St John the Baptist is a huge holiday in Quebec, other than essential services, everything MUST (by law) be closed. July 1st the following week is the National holiday.

Because of high winds and dry conditions, at least in my area, all fireworks were banned. I never heard a peep - am impressed that people obeyed!

When I grew up in the 'burbs of L.A., back in the 1950s and 60s, fireworks were illegal because of the fire hazard. The only fireworks we saw were on the 4th of July in parks, supervised by the fire department.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom