What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie said:
I did temp work for more than 20 years. I loved it. You can't get fired, only released. And in between jobs, I would collect unemployment. Some jobs weren't as temp as I would have liked. But the pay was good. I worked at Wyeth Pharmaceutical for more than three years. Some jobs were fun and some monotonous. I am one of those folks that like filing. I like making order out of chaos. And most files in big companies are a disaster. :angel:

I worked far a temp place for a while. I never heard (or thought of) collecting unemployment in-between jobs.

I worked far a temp place for a while. I never heard (or thought of) collecting unemployment in-between jobs.

You temp agency will not fire you. The company only notifies your agency that they no longer need your services. The regular worker returned to work, they filled the position from within, any number of reasons. You are now available for additional assignments. So technically, you are actively seeking employment. One of the conditions of receiving unemployment benefits. You will still have that initial waiting period, but that only happens once in any benefit year. The rest of the time, you can receive a check each week that you don't have an assignment. Your agency is your employer. Not the company they assign you to. I never went without a paycheck. Even if it was an unemployment check. Unless you prove to be totally unsuitable (such as theft) to be placed in an assignment, the agency cannot deny you benefits. :angel:

Addie said:
You temp agency will not fire you. The company only notifies your agency that they no longer need your services. The regular worker returned to work, they filled the position from within, any number of reasons. You are now available for additional assignments. So technically, you are actively seeking employment. One of the conditions of receiving unemployment benefits. You will still have that initial waiting period, but that only happens once in any benefit year. The rest of the time, you can receive a check each week that you don't have an assignment. Your agency is your employer. Not the company they assign you to. I never went without a paycheck. Even if it was an unemployment check. Unless you prove to be totally unsuitable (such as theft) to be placed in an assignment, the agency cannot deny you benefits. :angel:

I'm kind of ok with the fact that I never filed for unemployment. We made it through those difficult years.

I have done nothing but relax on the recliner all day today as my shoulder was ever so sore after my body massage yesterday...I am thinking I should not have let her near my recovering shoulder :rolleyes:

I have done nothing but relax on the recliner all day today as my shoulder was ever so sore after my body massage yesterday...I am thinking I should not have let her near my recovering shoulder :rolleyes:

Didn't your doctor tell you it would take a while for your shoulder to be completely healed? (If I remember correctly.) Treat that should as if you just had the surgery yesterday. And do that everyday until you get the all clear from your doctor. :angel:

We just had a magnitude 4.5 mN (3.9 on the Richter scale) earthquake with an epicentre very close to the Island of Montreal. It was at about 20 past midnight EDT. I was afraid something was wrong with my house. I was quite relieved that it was just an earthquake. Earthquake Report (2012-10-10)

We just had a magnitude 4.5 mN (3.9 on the Richter scale) earthquake with an epicentre very close to the Island of Montreal. It was at about 20 past midnight EDT. I was afraid something was wrong with my house. I was quite relieved that it was just an earthquake. Earthquake Report (2012-10-10)

They must have felt it in Vermont. My granddaughter lives there. Now grant you 3.9 is not that large unless you are at the epicenter, but when you are not used to earthquakes, it can be unsettling.

I was living in Tacoma in May 1980 when Mt. St. Helen erupted. About nine months later she started to rumble again and there was an earthquake located in Centralia, WA. Mt. St. Helen was an inconvenience. The earthquake was not. My kitchen and son's bedroom went in one direction, the liviingroom and my bedroom went the opposite. The next thing, I was looking at the stars. Time to head back to Boston. :angel:

They must have felt it in Vermont. My granddaughter lives there. Now grant you 3.9 is not that large unless you are at the epicenter, but when you are not used to earthquakes, it can be unsettling.

I was living in Tacoma in May 1980 when Mt. St. Helen erupted. About nine months later she started to rumble again and there was an earthquake located in Centralia, WA. Mt. St. Helen was an inconvenience. The earthquake was not. My kitchen and son's bedroom went in one direction, the liviingroom and my bedroom went the opposite. The next thing, I was looking at the stars. Time to head back to Boston. :angel:
The Richter scale was designed for California. So the mN scale, designed for the type of quakes we get on the East Coast, is what it would feel like if the East Coast quake was in Calif.

I grew up in California. I have felt lots of tremors and I was visiting family during the Northridge quake. I woke up and saw the dining room light swinging and thought, "An earthquake?! I haven't even been here for 24 hours yet."

This one felt very different. It felt like heavy machinery was being dragged across my neighbours floor, upstairs. I live in a townhouse, so my neighbours' houses are attached to mine.

Back in the '60s there was a big earthquake in Mexico City. I felt it in school in the San Fernando Valley (L.A.). None of my classmates did. I said, "It's a big quake, very far away." I looked at the time and watched the news that evening. The quake happened at about the time I felt it.

You know! Even if you have never felt one before. Many, many moons ago, (only 1 kid) my husband and I were watching the baseball game on TV. All of a sudden we felt the room moving. I knew instantly it was an earthquake. Sure enough, later that night it was reported on the news. We have a fault off the coast in the Atlantic. Out by Georges Banks. It was the very first one I experienced. :angel:

Didn't your doctor tell you it would take a while for your shoulder to be completely healed? (If I remember correctly.) Treat that should as if you just had the surgery yesterday. And do that everyday until you get the all clear from your doctor. :angel:

Thanks Addie, I certainly will :)

So glad everything is fine there Taxy...I bet it would have been a bit scary though :ohmy:

Sitting here trying to motivate myself to go into work a bit early (doesn't look like it's gonna happen :LOL:)

tomorrow starts a vacation, I had time that needed to be used up before the end of the year (4th quarter time off gets put out next week, so I'll have more to try to take). We are going away for a couple of days, spending a night in the mountains then heading to Charlotte, for shopping (kitchen stores for me!). It'll be a nice couple of days away from home, then home to chill and bake a bunch for the blog!

I'm trying to wake up. I'm on my first double espresso allongé and it hasn't kicked in yet. I have to get ready to go to the Danish Club luncheon. I also have print out name tags for all the attendees.

I'm sitting here pouting about the snow flying outside. I know it won't last but I'm irritated to see it so early anyway. I was sitting outside in capris on Saturday for goodness sakes! The birds are all poofed up like little puffballs, guess they're feeling the cold too.

Just went to my kitchen thinking I would like a spoonful of marmite since I was in the mood for something salty. I also wanted to put cream on my hands while I was there. Not thinking I opened the marmite, stuck in my fingers and proceeded to rub a blob of marmite on my hands lol!
The lights are on but nobody's home!

You can feel the seasons changing here too. Long sleeves and socks had to be added to the wardrobe yesterday.

Sitting wondering what to "attack" today. We were up at "oh-dark-hundred" to go to Glenn's final appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon after his knee replacement surgery last month. Yeah! He got a 100% on his exam. Both the surgeon and Glenn were all smiles. His knee is waaaaay more functional than it was before the surgery and some of his back pain has subsided, due certainly because he's walking more normally.

Glad he had such a good experience because I'm next in the hot seat in November when I have to have a knee replaced.

It's a beautiful day and I might do some "fall" decorating around the front porch and entryway. That won't take me very long, which means I'll still have plenty of the day left to do something.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get up the energy to get my day started but I have been trying to fight off a migraine for two days so am quietly sitting at the computer with a cup of ginger tea.

I'm trying to get up the energy to get my day started but I have been trying to fight off a migraine for two days so am quietly sitting at the computer with a cup of ginger tea.

Sorry to hear that :( Migraines are nasty! Have you tried rubbing some peppermint oil on you temples? It really helps to relieve the pain and if you don't have the oil on hand steaming yourself with mint or drinking a cup of mint tea and inhaling the steam works too.
Hope you feel better soon!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom