What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just finished doing what I do every day about 4 p.m. Brushed my hair, brushed my teeth, touched up my make-up and tidied up my clothes. Checked to see if I had any spills/spots. If I did, I'd change. I do this for my man. Always have.

I have always believed that if your husband spends hours every day working and making a life for us, the least I can do is to give him something pleasant to see when he comes home.

Glenn and I are both retired but he still does many, many wonderful things here. For example, the last three days he's spend a minimum of 7 hours each day on the tractor mowing/bush hogging the property. It's a hot, hard, dirty job.

As I said, I've always done this, especially when Buck and I were married because there were times when he/we held multiple jobs to keep the family fed and well. Again, it was the least I could do.

I learned this from a lady who used to take care of me and my siblings when I was a child. Her name was Mrs. Bencini and she was older than dirt but had the most awesome thick head of white hair. It was like a cloud and she was the gentlest and loveliest lady.

Each afternoon about 4 she'd go to the bathroom, splash some water on her face, comb her hair and put on a fresh apron. She always wore a white uniform (her choice) but her aprons were so colorful and pretty.

One day I asked her why she did what she did and she told me that the man of the house deserved to come home at night and be greeted by a fresh, pleasant face. I never forgot that and have applied that to my life.

Don't know if my men ever noticed. Doesn't matter to me. Perhaps that one day when things seem to have turned to crap, walking into the house to a smiling, freshly groomed wife might make just the tiniest difference. Doesn't cost me anything and it actually gives me a fresher attitude.

I think Mrs. Bencini was a very wise lady.

I bet they have noticed, Katie. It may seem old-fashioned to some, but I think it's a thoughtful thing to do. I'm "retired" now - actually on disability, so I do have some income - but DH does work hard, both at work and at home. When I am in the hospital, he comes over with a carafe of home-brewed coffee, my hazelnut creamer, and the morning paper, every day. So I think that's a great tradition, and I'm going to emulate it. Thanks for sharing your lovely idea :)

Just finished doing what I do every day about 4 p.m. Brushed my hair, brushed my teeth, touched up my make-up and tidied up my clothes. Checked to see if I had any spills/spots. If I did, I'd change. I do this for my man. Always have.

I have always believed that if your husband spends hours every day working and making a life for us, the least I can do is to give him something pleasant to see when he comes home.

Glenn and I are both retired but he still does many, many wonderful things here. For example, the last three days he's spend a minimum of 7 hours each day on the tractor mowing/bush hogging the property. It's a hot, hard, dirty job.

As I said, I've always done this, especially when Buck and I were married because there were times when he/we held multiple jobs to keep the family fed and well. Again, it was the least I could do.

I learned this from a lady who used to take care of me and my siblings when I was a child. Her name was Mrs. Bencini and she was older than dirt but had the most awesome thick head of white hair. It was like a cloud and she was the gentlest and loveliest lady.

Each afternoon about 4 she'd go to the bathroom, splash some water on her face, comb her hair and put on a fresh apron. She always wore a white uniform (her choice) but her aprons were so colorful and pretty.

One day I asked her why she did what she did and she told me that the man of the house deserved to come home at night and be greeted by a fresh, pleasant face. I never forgot that and have applied that to my life.

Don't know if my men ever noticed. Doesn't matter to me. Perhaps that one day when things seem to have turned to crap, walking into the house to a smiling, freshly groomed wife might make just the tiniest difference. Doesn't cost me anything and it actually gives me a fresher attitude.

I think Mrs. Bencini was a very wise lady.

I think Mrs. Bencini was a very wise woman too! I always make sure to freshen up before seeing my Hubby. It is the least I can do. He is always so wonderful to me. I need to make sure that he realizes that I am happy to see him. Sometimes I think the dogs are in a competition with me to impress him more. :D

I am sad today as it is 13 years today since mum and I came home and found that my dear dad had passed away, very sad indeed :(

Mum is away on holiday at the moment but I will be phoning her soon to have a chat as we always like to get in contact on the anniversaries of dad's passing, it makes it feel better when we can both talk about it as it was terrible for both of us the day we found dad, something we both will never forget :(

I must think of all the good times though, it helps :)

I think Mrs. Bencini was a very wise woman too! I always make sure to freshen up before seeing my Hubby. It is the least I can do. He is always so wonderful to me. I need to make sure that he realizes that I am happy to see him. Sometimes I think the dogs are in a competition with me to impress him more. :D

Yes, chopper. Our dog, Harley, thinks I should take second seat to Glenn. I don't mind because she's not allowed in our bed.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm a bit old-fashioned in my relationship thinking but, somehow, it stood me in good stead with 32 years with Buck and, rocking chairs at the ready, another 32 with Glenn.

I am sad today as it is 13 years today since mum and I came home and found that my dear dad had passed away, very sad indeed :(

Mum is away on holiday at the moment but I will be phoning her soon to have a chat as we always like to get in contact on the anniversaries of dad's passing, it makes it feel better when we can both talk about it as it was terrible for both of us the day we found dad, something we both will never forget :(

I must think of all the good times though, it helps :)

Kylie, I know how you feel. My dad has been gone for just over a year and my mom left us 18 years ago (both of them in March). Those anniversaries are always tough. I hope you have (had) a good conversation with your mom. You two have such a great relationship.

I'm trying to watch King & Maxwell and catch up on the latest posts. It's one of those multi-tasking things that rarely work, but I'm trying anyway.

Kylie, I know how you feel. My dad has been gone for just over a year and my mom left us 18 years ago (both of them in March). Those anniversaries are always tough. I hope you have (had) a good conversation with your mom. You two have such a great relationship.

Thank you so much for caring Laurie, it means a lot xxx

This afternoon I got into the kitchen and made some lovely Lemon Cookies, they are so tasty :)

Also made a Quiche Lorraine for dinner, so a big baking afternoon :chef:

There is no way I can forget my mother's anniversary. She died July 4th. I like to think she is watching the fireworks and enjoying them. :angel:

Then there's Christmas Eve morning Addie. We rarely did Christmases in FL but that year was the last before Goober and Loverly started kindergarten, so I made a point of us being there. Thank goodness Himself got to see his Mom before she slipped away from us. What a blessing.

I'm sitting in the sunroom listening to the rain fall. The back half of our lot is all wooded - if I don't trim a branch or two before we build our deck someone can fan themselves with the leaves! It won't be long before I'll have to close the windows because the rain is coming in. :( Unfortunately, this rain means a return of the heat and humidity. :mad:

Just finished helping DH bottle two batches of wine, a lovely Okanagan Chardonnay and a Gewurtztraminer. He is starting a batch of Amarone now. Yum.....hey is it cocktail time yet? ;)

I just pooped myself out and Stirling too. OMG, we are so out of shape. I have to move my composter and some plants, so there is a place to install the compressor for my new air conditioner if it can't go on the wall. I have to move it in any case so the guys have room to work.

Anyhoo, I removed a bit of the finished compost from the bottom and pulled out some weeds, and that was enough to poop me out. Then when I had regained some strength I helped Stirling move a few patio stones, so I will have somewhere to put the plants. Now Stirling is all pooped out and I'm pooped again. I guess I'm going to have to do a little bit every day and hope to have it done by Thursday, 'cause they are coming first thing Friday morning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom