What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Andy, I just got home from ny son's house with three steamed lobsters that didn't get eaten. I will crack them tonight and place the meat in small amounts in the freezer. Lobster salad on a toasted hot dog bun, lobster salad in a scooped out tomato, and I am sure I will find other uses for it. :angel:

Sounds good to me Addie. Enjoy.

I just got back from my son's house. I got a lovely soft warm shawl which I just love. It is so warm. There was a second shawl, but it was striped black and brown and not as pretty. So my DIL loved that one and is going to keep it for herself and get me another one in a different color from the one I love. I also received from my son's in-laws a lovely blue (my favorite color) fleece long robe with blue leopard print slippers. And my son and his wife ( whom I adore) gave me a lovely picture of my grandson with Santa. I don't know what he said to Santa, but he has him laughing. The frame is very heavy.

Come time to sit down to eat, and I got very sick. I was beginning to think I had the flu. It just hit me out of the blue. I was looking forward to the meal. I didn't even get to eat my lobster. So I brought it home along with two others. And a big plate of food. I am feeling much better now, but I sure would like to know what hit me. I am feeling very weak and beat up right now.

My son married a great girl. I just love her and her parents. I have 17 grand and great grand children. But this youngest one has to be my favorite. Yes, I do have a favorite. I admit it. He is so smart and bright. And well behaved. He is three y.o. and speaks three languages. He speaks English to my son, Italian to his mother and Albanian to his grandparents. My son has him enrolled for piano lessons. He can spell and do math. So learning to read music should come easy to him.

I had a great day, (except for getting sick.) :angel:

My sister surprised me with a call this morning - she wasn't doing Christmas but wanted to wish me a good one and we talked for half an hour. She sounded really good and happy. I haven't talked to her in a couple of months. I don't want to lose contact with her but also want to give her space as she deals with things in her own way. She was happy to hear about my improved health and told me she was also diagnosed with prediabetes and is cutting back on sweets. She, and my nephews are my only family.

We had a lovely lunch with TB's parents and then he left for work just after 2. They stayed another hour and we had a wonderful chat. I said to them as they left that I was really glad they came because they are my parents. Then his Mom gave me an extra hug and said "and you are our daughter". I had to get inside quick as the tears flowed down. They always blamed me for us eloping and it wasn't until a couple of years ago TB finally straightened them out that it was all his idea and I wanted to call them. Ever since then we have grown much closer and to be called a daughter without the "in-law" was huge!

I am just sitting here now with my puppies relaxing and waiting for TB's call on his lunch break. I was really worried I would be totally depressed this Christmas, but it has actually been one of the best ever!

Wow, that's huge, Laurie. What a great Christmas. I can't imagine what you felt to finally hear those words.

I'm waiting for my bread to cool. It's nice to fall back on an old friend (my bread machine) since the store was closed today. I haven't used that thing in probably 1-1/2 years. Looks like the yeast still works :chef:

Attachments

• bread.jpg
    bread.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Now where is that thread on how long yeast lasts? :LOL:
I'll bet this yeast was at least 2 years old. I had it stored in the freezer in an airtight canister.

I am now drinking a cup of coffee that I made using an Eko-Brew refillable K-cup. It's passable. The cup said to fill it between 2/3 and 3/4 full. 3/4 tastes better. 2/3 was too weak. That first cup found the sink.
Now if I was really feeling ambitious I would see how many cups of coffee I can get out of a 1lb canister compared to buying actual K-cup coffee. That's a pretty big if...

even double-acting yeast wouldn't produce the kind of results you have pictured in your mile- high bread loaf! a beauty, btw.:) how does it taste? it wasn't hollow inside, was it, pac....:)

Last edited:
I'm relaxing with a cup of tea this morning. We were able to celebrate my youngest grandson's fourth birthday with him on the 23rd. He picked hamburgers as our meal, and of course, ice cream cake! Christmas was wonderful. My other grandson had a part in the Christmas program at church on Christmas Eve, so we all sat proudly in church watching him (dressed as a cow in the manger) singing songs. After church we had a wonderful spread of crab dip, smoked salmon, meatballs, crackers, cheese, and all sorts of other goodies. We listened to Christmas music and read "'T'was the Night Before Christmas." The kids left out the cookies we had made the day before for Santa, and ran off to bed. Christmas morning was quiet at first with the monkey bread filling the house with wonderful smells of cinnamon, but after breakfast, the presents called all to the living room, and the quiet went away. What a wonderful time we had with family! I couldn't have asked for a nicer time. We went outside and flew rockets, we played with toys, we read books, we had a beautiful meal staring spiral ham, and the trip home was snowing, but we beat the bad roads. Now all is quiet and others went back to work this morning. I am sitting here alone playing with the iPad that I got for Christmas, and drinking tea I got as a gift from my dear DIL. Life is good, and I have so many things to be thankful for. I hope all of my DC friends had a peaceful and beautiful Christmas too.

I am sitting here enjoying the peace and quiet of a "Boxing Day" morning. Enjoying the clean house that I was mostly able to do myself except for the vacuuming (a Christmas present of magnum proportions since I haven't been able to do much cleaning for awhile now), reflecting on the "cheats" to my diet that have me feeling a little less than perfect this morning (some blueberries and sparkling apple juice among others - items that contain sugar that my body is rejecting right now). All the plusses of the season and of family outweigh a little nausea and grumpiness and the world is good!

Now for some ginger tea and rice cakes with pumpkin butter! YUM :)

those galaxies have been enormously popular this season-- have gotten as big as ipads, from what i hear. you made out really good, gg. and a bottle of godiva, too! i hope you are feeling as good as you are sounding in your posts, gg.:)

I'm keeping an eye on the Weathernetwork on TV. There is a storm warning with 15-25 cm (6"-10") of snow expected with winds gusting from 50-70 km/hr (~30-45 mph). Of course, that means blowing snow and lowered visibility, especially on highways through flat stretches. Most of our trip home is on the highway through flat areas.

I am so glad that I have AWD, ABS, and really good winter tires. It doesn't hurt that Volvos are made in a country with winter weather similar to what we get here.

I have been happily crocheting something for ME for a change. I got this absolutely gorgeous hand dyed wool but was only able to get one skein (it was a limited time offer and orders were so plenty that she had to spread it around). I knew it wasn't enough to make the slippers I wanted but I found a beautiful pattern for fingerless gloves and went for it. My hands get cold inside - when I am crocheting, typing, just sitting or even driving until the car warms up. I don't want to where gloves in the house and regular ones are hard on my arthritic fingers.

I just finished one and am excited to finish the second. I will post pictures then. It is so nice to take some time for me! :)

Last edited:
I'm watching it snow. Rumor has it we've got some kind of winter storm moving into the area. I'd have to agree.

Back
Top Bottom