What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Home. :heart: What a great place to be, right Laurie? So glad you finally got your freedom. And it's nice to see you have a doctor being very cautious. That has to make you feel extra good about going home. Hope you're getting lots of snuggles from Monkey and Violet.

Being fairly artistic, colours are important to me. I didn't realise that when I planted a pink hydrangea plant near a japanese acer (dark red/copper leaves) that it would be a bit of a colour clash. It has settled in so didn't want to uproot it.

I thought something blue inbetween these 2 clashing coloured plants would be a good idea. However, I couldn't get blue flowers to grow in between them so I hit on the idea of covering a long wooden post with some bright blue cloth to go inbetween them and be complimentary! Result! :)
This tells you how to change pink hydrangeas to blue.

How to change the color of hydrangea flowers. - YouTube

Lots of other articles about this on Google.

I am not sure - the surgeon talks so fast. But all I know is whatever he was looking for went up and I got to go home. I didn't have a shot, a transfusion or surgery. I left about 5:30 and got home at 6:30.

The reasoning behind a possible second surgery was that there was extra bleeding during the first and he was worried it was seeping. But my vitals were fine and I was feeling great. He was just being extra cautious, which, after some of my other experiences was refreshing.

Well, I think I will cuddle with my fur kids and go to bed. Night all. I am glad this experience is all over.

I'm glad it's over for you, too, Laurie. I hope you had a restful night :)

Thanks Mad Cook....yes I do know about alum sulphate. The thing is it is only sold in huge bags and my bush is quite small. You only need 1 tablespoon of it per year (so the colour change is very slow anyway). Upshot is I am reluctant to buy a big bag of something I only need a small quantity of.

I heard that rusty nails do a similar thing... Have those around the base of the small bush - to no effect.

Anyway, problem now sorted since - as mentioned - now have a lovely bright blue post inbetween the 2 clashing coloured plants.

Thanks for your post though.

I've had great success just using plain old used coffee grounds to turn our hydrangeas blue. After my morning and afternoon pots, I'd just take them out there and place them discreetly under the leaves and in about 3 weeks they did turn brilliant blue.

Which reminds me I should start that again...we have guests coming that are avid gardners and would love to see that.

As for what I'm doing, I'm home for day 3 with a sick child. Taking them to the clinic this afternoon (dh's work has their own clinic...hoping we like the Dr. and that ds doesn't have strep!) Then hopefully I'll do more tomato sauces.

Take care everybody!

Our container vegetable garden experiment this year has succeeded beyond our wildest dreams so...

Today I will occupy myself by preparing lots of eggplant Parmesan (some to eat, some to freeze), a bunch of stuffed green bell peppers (some to eat, some to freeze, a quantity of yellow squash casserole (some to eat, some to freeze), and can about a half gallon of my oven-roasted tomato sauce. I've decided I'm going to put the tomato sauce up in half-pint jars this time. I've discovered that since it's just the two of us I don't always need a full pint when I need tomato sauce and I am loathe to letting something that good go to waste.

Should be a pretty busy day. Thank goodness the weather is unusually mild and dry. Heating the kitchen up won't be such an uncomfortable experience.

P.S. Laurie, I'm so happy you're home. There's no place like home!

... As for what I'm doing, I'm home for day 3 with a sick child. Taking them to the clinic this afternoon (dh's work has their own clinic...hoping we like the Dr. and that ds doesn't have strep!)
Hope your Little is OK, or will be soon.

Once again I'm stalling and avoiding real work. I still have my plants to repot, and I must finish cleaning the basement and all the nooks and crannies in the house so I can have my garage sale in September. But, times a wasting, so off I go!

Enjoying a quiet night at home - no hospital, no screaming kids (as much as I love them I am glad they are home) and my furbabies by my side. All that is missing is my TB but he will be home in a few hours.

Glad you are home, Laurie.

I've been trying to make 14-day pickles and am on day five. I wish I could find Momma's recipe. She used alum in her pickles...so I am using a few recipes and am trying to wing it. :)

Glad you are home, Laurie.

I've been trying to make 14-day pickles and am on day five. I wish I could find Momma's recipe. She used alum in her pickles...so I am using a few recipes and am trying to wing it. :)

Thanks, Kathleen. My Mom used to make those pickles and used alum. I have her recipe cards. I should look and see if I can find it in there.

The Femme Fatale of Buxton Lane

I think I have an admirer!

Bloke-next-door-but-one has chatted to me on occasions when we've met in the lane. This last week I've been stripping the rainforest (the front garden) and he's stopped and engaged me in conversation for a hour at a time every day. Today he's offered to repair the stone wall at the front of the house, lend me his lawn mower, offered me cuttings of his buddleia and ...... take me to Scrabble Club (I assume the last is about the board game and not something one wouldn't like one's mother to find out about)! But when he passes with his wife I just get a shifty look and a muffled and embarrassed "hello"

Be still my beating heart!

The down side: He's married. He's probably in his 70s. He is not in the least bit desirable and he's shorter than me (I am a shallow person!).

I just don't know where I get all this mysterious allure from.....

Last edited:
Taking a little break. We just had a bit of lunch and I've cleaned the kitchen up after making two generous trays of stuffed peppers. We'll have one for supper tonight and the others have gone into the freezer.

After I finish my little "feet up" time, I'm going to head to the kitchen to dice up 3 pounds of bacon ends and fry them up. I parcel them out in equal quantities and use them in assorted recipes, not the least of which is one of our favorites, bacon-and-egg bread. I'll get about 4 nice baggies of crispy bacon bits.

Resting my feet, too ;) I went downtown to take care of a matter for the civic league and picked up a few items at the Feed & Seed store, including a jar of pickling spices. I'm going to pickle some of these darn cucumbers tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2014-07-20 17.37.54.jpg
    2014-07-20 17.37.54.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 177
Looks like it's break time for a few of us around here! I'm resting my arms from drying my hair (need to get this mane chopped this fall) before I head out to go to three stores to do the grocery shopping I was able to knock off at one. Danged Family Feud! At least while I'm making the Aldi's run I can also return a pair of jeans to Target and stop at Lowe's. They're all at the same exit of the freeway.

These jeans are the strangest pair I have ever owned. When I bought them they were a nice length - just overly-long enough to allow for a bit of shrinkage. Even though I wash jeans in cold water I swear they shorten up a bit the first few times. Well, this pair grows! What was an inch above the ground is now ready to drag on the ground, even when I wear the exact same pair of shoes each time. :wacko: Himself suggested I just keep them and roll them. Um Honey? They're bell bottoms! Not gonna work...

Back
Top Bottom