What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm on the third floor and I can see the seagulls nesting on the flat roof of the building across the street. Watching the seagulls learn to fly is hysterical. They get up in the air OK, but they come in for a landing, stop short, and tumble head over heels. It really only takes them a couple days to become proficient flyers, but during those couple days, a few babies get stuck on some other rooftop and all you can hear are baby sea gulls crying for mom (or dad) to come rescue them.

Our heatwave here finally broke, so that means tomorrow my air conditioner will arrive.

I'm making up the grocery list for tomorrow. That will take me about an hour or so. Then I think I'll turn in early. I finally got the book "The Big Short" and I'm reading about a chapter or so a night before I go to sleep. I don't know anything about stocks and bonds, so I'm really having to concentrate on that book to understand it. A little of it goes a long way.

In these here parts, if we see sea gulls coming into shore, we know a storm is coming. Our big problem in this building is pigeons. Management had to post a notice for the tenants to stop feeding the birds. So they do it at the back of the building in the parking lot there. Now the tenants that park there are complaining about the droppings on their cars. I can't blame them. Those dropping are very caustic to the car paint. :angel:

I'm taking an hour break from working in the fish room and listening to The Splendid Table. I already moved a 150 gallon shrimp holding container to outside the fish room, filled it with 60 gallons of aged tap and 90 gallons of dechlorinated tap from the hose. I caught and moved a ton of Pearl Goruamis divided among 3 tanks it it. Then I cleaned and squeezed 30 sponge filters and put them back.

My next job will not be fun. I need to kill a whole bunch of adult Angelfish that I have no market for. I hate it but I have to do it. I need the tank space.

I understood roughly none of that, but one question. Can you harvest the shrimp container for scampi?

I am glad you are happy. I order items that I would be taxed on here in Mass. I already have my next order ready to go. I will have the money available next week, and as soon as I am sure it is in my account I will hit "place order."

It is too easy to get carried away on that site. So I now limit myself to how much I can spend on each order.

Last order, I got in a hefty supply of paper dishes. Big ones. small ones for sandwiches, and small bowls. Pirate thinks it is so wasteful. Guess who reaches for them the most. Yeah, Pirate. When I called him on it, all I got was, "Yeah Ma, but I am the one who washes the dishes more than you do." Go ahead son. There is room for only one of us in the kitchen, so do all the cooking you want. Just don't cook for me. He uses too much seasoning, (pepper).

I haven't looked at the food items yet. I think I will take a look. :angel:
Upon delivery I was pleased they did a very good job of packing the order. No crushed cracker boxes or broken jam jars. :)
Better than Amazon prime and much better than Walmart.

I understood roughly none of that, but one question. Can you harvest the shrimp container for scampi?

At first I didn't understand what you were asking but then I figured it out.

I got these 3 150 gallon containers used when I lived on the coast in Mobile. I got them for a bargain price of $100. and the guy threw in a swimming pool pump! He was a scrounger. It didn't occur to me at the time but they might have been stolen.

I breed tropical fish. I don't mess with food fish. I breed the ones that people set a tank up for in their living room so they can admire them. anyone who breeds fish realizes the value of large but manageable excellent quality container. For a long time I just used them to age water. Now I age water with larger containers and these were just sitting around.

The problem is that there is little market down south for tropical fish. Up north it's a different story.

I just culled 90 healthy Angels who were laying eggs like crazy yesterday and Friday. I hardened my heart and got it done. I poured the dead fish on the fig tree. If the dogs find them I hope they don't let me know.

In case you can't tell, I have just slugged down 3 beers is fast succession. I'm about to take a long hot bath. It won't cleanse my soul but it will clean my body.

At first I didn't understand what you were asking but then I figured it out.

I got these 3 150 gallon containers used when I lived on the coast in Mobile. I got them for a bargain price of $100. and the guy threw in a swimming pool pump! He was a scrounger. It didn't occur to me at the time but they might have been stolen.

I breed tropical fish. I don't mess with food fish. I breed the ones that people set a tank up for in their living room so they can admire them. anyone who breeds fish realizes the value of large but manageable excellent quality container. For a long time I just used them to age water. Now I age water with larger containers and these were just sitting around.

The problem is that there is little market down south for tropical fish. Up north it's a different story.

I just culled 90 healthy Angels who were laying eggs like crazy yesterday and Friday. I hardened my heart and got it done. I poured the dead fish on the fig tree. If the dogs find them I hope they don't let me know.

In case you can't tell, I have just slugged down 3 beers is fast succession. I'm about to take a long hot bath. It won't cleanse my soul but it will clean my body.

I am not to fond either of killing living things either except bugs. I don't even drink and I would probably need three beers also if I had to do that. :angel:

The pain of it is the reason that I can no longer breed warm blooded animals. After my husband died I sold all the dairy goats (I was a big deal in the dairy goat show ring once upon a time) It's also why I chose to groom dogs rather than breed them. I have an "eye" and I know how to get the best out of the dog I am presented with.

I thought that by breeding fish I could take what I had and work to make it better. I am a breeder at heart. I have to breed something. I thought that fish would be easy because after all, it's just a fish. It is a lot easier than taking goats to the slaughter house or knocking them in the head and doing it myself. It's only hard sometimes. I put the fish into a bucket with mostly ice and a little water. They say that doing it that way is painless to the fish but I have my doubts although they do die quickly.

Oh well...life is not always fun and joy. It's no bit deal in the full scheme of things...

Somewhere in the last few days, I remember half-hearing a story about a scientific study finding fish recognize people's faces. You think it's true?

In my experience? Just a guess. Skillet, they weren't angel fish, but relatives I suspect.

We posted at the same time, Liz! So sorry for the demise of your fish. :(

Last edited:
Don't mourn them. It was necessary so I did it. I have more to do in tomorrow but I'll have to buy another bag of ice. The bucket has to be mostly ice and just a little water if death is to be quick.

I have a ton more fish that I will now tank space for. Ill euthanize the ones that I can't sell while they're small. I'll get off my arse and sell them small on Aquabid. (I suck at advertising and selling. I hate having to do it but my feed back is 100% positive so I guess I'm good at it.

I did the right thing. It's unimportant that I hated doing it. Either the dogs will find the dead fish and eat them or they will decompose and fertilize the fig tree. I'll have breeding tanks available!

Here's a pic of my Discus tank. I didn't have to kill any Discus. My local fish store will buy my cull Discus.

Attachments

• DSC_0463.jpg
    DSC_0463.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Never had pet fish but there was a big brown trout that used to laugh whenever I showed up with my fishing pole. I'm sure he recognized me.

Crying. We were horrified and sickened by the Orlando shootings.

Then I picked some purslane from the tomato bed, not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but they taste good.

Crying. We were horrified and sickened by the Orlando shootings.

Then I picked some purslane from the tomato bed, not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but they taste good.

I am with you on that. I just hope and pray that Trump doesn't use this horrendous tragedy in his campaign. My stomach just wants to churn when my mind wanders to Florida. I try not to think of it. Pirate watched the news around six o'clock. There are still families who aren't sure about their child. Alive or dead? It seems that no one has bothered to get names except that of the killer.

I want to find a channel that only tells you happy news. Animal Rescue may be it for me. They never show a failed rescue. :angel:

Somewhere in the last few days, I remember half-hearing a story about a scientific study finding fish recognize people's faces. You think it's true?

Not only can some fish recognize faces, they can also at times recognize what they perceive as a threat and in some cases will react.
When I was a kid we had a walking catfish as a pet. He also had a small hole in his head. Mom said it was from a disease he had recovered from. Dad said it was from a 22.
Anyway, the fish liked us kids. Sometimes if we opened the tank to feed him, he would jump on our hand to be let out. We would play with him for a bit then put him back up. Note: I think it was either 150 or 200 gallon tanks. One of the big ones.
One evening, we had just put the fish back in his tank but hadn't closed the lid yet. Dad came through the front door drunk and in a mood. He made the mistake of yelling at us kids. Next thing we saw was a catfish come flying out of the tank, slide down the arm of the couch and start chasing dad. Of course, our cat came flying out of the other room and started chasing dad. He opened the front door and took off. The fish and the cat were hot on his heels. Dad ran out in the yard. The animals stopped at the edge of the porch and just glared at him. He could not get back on the porch because of teeth and claws. US kids went out, picked up the fish and told the cat she had done good.
I wish I had a video camera back then.
The catfish got put in his tank and the lid shut. The cat stood at the door until dad apologized and started acting civil.

Now that is a great story. Would you object to me posting it to my fish forum? They will love it.

I'm doing nothing right now. I worked hard all day long for 2 days straight in the fish room. The fish have all been separated by strain into heir own tanks. All tanks have been perfectly scrubbed down. Sponge filters have been squeezed, Magnum filers changed out and Cloroxed. And 90% water change was done on all the tanks. I'm whupped, but I'm proud of myself.

Now that is a great story. Would you object to me posting it to my fish forum? They will love it.

I'm doing nothing right now. I worked hard all day long for 2 days straight in the fish room. The fish have all been separated by strain into heir own tanks. All tanks have been perfectly scrubbed down. Sponge filters have been squeezed, Magnum filers changed out and Cloroxed. And 90% water change was done on all the tanks. I'm whupped, but I'm proud of myself.

Feel free to post it to the fish forum.
I still giggle at the sight of a 6'5 man running away from the catfish.
That occurred sometime between 1976 and 1979.

Not only can some fish recognize faces, they can also at times recognize what they perceive as a threat and in some cases will react.
When I was a kid we had a walking catfish as a pet. He also had a small hole in his head. Mom said it was from a disease he had recovered from. Dad said it was from a 22.
Anyway, the fish liked us kids. Sometimes if we opened the tank to feed him, he would jump on our hand to be let out. We would play with him for a bit then put him back up. Note: I think it was either 150 or 200 gallon tanks. One of the big ones.
One evening, we had just put the fish back in his tank but hadn't closed the lid yet. Dad came through the front door drunk and in a mood. He made the mistake of yelling at us kids. Next thing we saw was a catfish come flying out of the tank, slide down the arm of the couch and start chasing dad. Of course, our cat came flying out of the other room and started chasing dad. He opened the front door and took off. The fish and the cat were hot on his heels. Dad ran out in the yard. The animals stopped at the edge of the porch and just glared at him. He could not get back on the porch because of teeth and claws. US kids went out, picked up the fish and told the cat she had done good.
I wish I had a video camera back then.
The catfish got put in his tank and the lid shut. The cat stood at the door until dad apologized and started acting civil.

I can't tell if you're serious or kidding but puts me in mind of a catfish Woodie Guthrie once met. Wrote about it in a song called Talking Fishing Blues. Seems he caught this giant catfish, saddled him up and rode him to town.

Back
Top Bottom