What are you doing New Year's Eve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Nowadays almost everyone I know does nothing special. This year I actually have a party to go to (hope I can stay awake that long!).

New Years Eve is also our wedding anniversary. Years ago we used to go with friends to Nick & Tonis in Easthampton but the place is not the same since the owners death some 7 years ago. Like many of the places in the Hamptons it has become too shishi. We also used to frequent John Duck's in Southampton,but alas this 100+ year old establishment is out of business. This year we'll be settling for dinner at a small place liked by our friends on the North Fork near East Marion.
I'd rather dine at home on shrimp, lobster, and draught beer but the ball and chain rules.

Bill, if you've never been, we adored the lobster rolls at the Love Lane Cafe in Mattituck.

New Year's Eve? my favorite thing to do is have people over for munchies, conversation and good wine. So that's what will be happening tomorrow night. :) I found a truffle in my fridge that should have been used a year ago, and think I'm going to use it in some truffled grilled cheese sandwiches. (among other tidbits). and at midnight, always Blackeyed peas.

We are having a couple of friends over from Montreal, and will be smashing two massive pomegranates up .. usually in the bathtub, but since I'm redoing the bathroom at the moment, the seeds are not going to fly there... NO WAY!!!!

We do it to bless the house for the new year... the more of a mess you make, the more blessed you will be!! And we have two huge ones.. bigger than my hand! Hehehehehe. Maybe on the front step. Away from the car.

Actually, the group we hang out with (we have a group who variously meet for an hour at our "third place" on Fridays, and take turns hosting brunch once a month) are meeting at one of our homes (we considered doing progressive, but decided that was too much driving and parking in a very old town where parking is a pain). One of our group has a huge home that was a rambling wreck and I think are looking forward to showing off their latest improvements. We're all pitching in with the food, each is bringing a bottle of bubbly. The thing is that my norm is to be in bed at 9 (no, I don't go to sleep that early, I just escape into silence and a book at that time). So naps will be in order.

Babetoo, I once had a cat who loved wine and beer. If I threw a party and had guests who didn't like cats all I had to do was sprinkle a little on a piece of bread and put it somewhere, and she'd happily lick at it for hours.

Working from 8:00AM until just after midnight this evening. The life of a Chef...
Wishing all of you a happy and very safe New Year.

Glenn and I will be celebrating our first New Year's Eve together. Also, the first one as a married couple. Neither of us has any desire to go out and, due to the rural aspect of our area, there is really no place to go that would be nearby. The closest place of any kind is nearly 50 miles away, so we're going to spend it together, in front of the fireplace with a bottle of bubbly. I can't imagine anything any better.

I am staying home and enjoying the company of my dog. It is just too much to be driving around at night with all the other folks on the road. Plus, the roads tend to be icy and snowy this time of the year and I just feel safer staying home. I bought some munchies (shrimp skewers, cheese, salami, and crackers, etc.) to enjoy.

We were supposed to spend it at our friends' house, but James didn't feel well and we stayed home. We ate ham, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, and rocky road ice cream for supper. Then we watched the time count down online and had our midnight kiss. Then we watched the 3rd Mission Impossible movie. :cool: I missed watching the ball drop in New York, but we no longer have satellite, and the local stations weren't coming in tonight, but other than that, it was a good New Year's Eve for us.

Happy New Year everyone!!

:)Barbara

We unexpectedly had quite a few people over. We did nibblies and games all evening. Had a couple of younger kids who were pretty cranky so my daughters were so helpful and kept them entertained. I am so grateful to have such caring kids.

we went to a buddies where a few people were. there were margaritas & daquiris, non-alcholic for the kiddos, a few snacks. a couple brought thier 2-month-old baby, so i held him & fed him most of the nite. he snoozed & snoozed. :)
was me & jake's 9th anniversary, we weren't trying for reservations, so last nite was chix for me & meatloaf sammich for him. we're going for an early dinner this afternoon, then cooking pork roast later on.

The party our friends threw was wonderful. We've been to some good ones in the past, but this was the best. Yes, it does help that it is within walking distance ... we don't have to deal with what my husband calls "amateur drinkers" on the road, unless they actually run us down. It was the first time in years that I was wide awake, kicking, eating, and still socializing at 1 a.m. Hubby and I were determined not to leave early, which took some planning (ironically, going out to lunch, a bit of a hike back and forth at sub-freezing temps) left us both able to take an afternoon nap. A friend from France had bought us a can of pate that was way too big for just the two of us, and told us to share it, so I had no cooking to do. It was all so lovely.

Back
Top Bottom