What are you most afraid of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
Well, it's Halloween time and I was wondering what you are most afraid of.

I am deathly afraid of an edge. I have been to the top of Mt. Evans and Pikes Peak in Colorado, but I cannot go near the edge. Even if I am watching TV and someone is going near an edge on top of a building, I am sitting in my chair, just hanging on. I even start to cry. What the heck is wrong?:cry:

Mine is really funny, even I have to laugh, but I hate downward hills! On horse's it is worse, when their heads reach down and you are looking along that long neck through the ears and there is still further to fall, but there is a hill I drive home down where I have to really grit my teeth, and quite frankly even walking down a steep hill I get a little hot and bothered.....now that's mad huh?? Its kind of like being scared of heights, except I am ok with heights, if I am facing up hill! It was hilarious when I used to compete cross couyntry and showjumping with horses, I rode really confidently towards the jump (I like the reach up into the air, however high) and then looked panic stricken on the landing, then struggle to get together for the next jump when you have to do it all again. Thats why I gave up on the idea of three day eventing.....I knew I would never cope with ski jumps and serious drops! lol

I agree with that JoAnn - can't do the edge thing either, I am NOT a mountain goat!

I've been held up a gun point (chrome 357 revolver), and I'm still cancer free one year after diagnosis etc. last year. Not much to be afraid of after those; except fire and drowning.:) :(:wacko: Okay, I'm scared to death of the whacky crazy suicidal maniacs on the highways these days!:ohmy::ohmy::w00t2::censored:

I am afraid of heights and I'm afraid of suffocating. When I have a stuffed up nose, I freak out. I won't lay down to try to sleep.

I'm afraid that if something serious happened to me while dh is at work and the kids would essentially be left all alone. I get these terrible thoughts of what could happen to them. It's not as bad as it once was. Aidan is old enough now that he'd be able to take care of his little brother until dh got home or someone came to call.

I'm not a big fan of heights either.

Not a whole lot of anything in this world, really.

Been held up (Not fun, but was more angry than scared).
Not afraid of heights (I DO go right up to the edge - Even hang over it if I can get away with it)
Not afraid of bugs/snakes/etc.
I once filled out a bunch of entries to go to Australia and hop in a shark cage with Great Whites swimming around - didn't win :(

Have swam around in Hawaii looking for reef sharks (never found any)

About the only thing I ever truly was afraid of was dissapointing my parents. I like to think (and I'm also pretty darned sure) I didn't.

John

BEES!!! I could be on the 2nd floor of a building and if a bee came near me I would want to jump off. In Costa Rica I found a tarantula in my bed, nearly stumbled over a crocadile, saw all kinds of snakes, but BEES..... no thanks!!!

Ronjohn,
Were you snorkling or scuba diving? I have been on several shark dives (scuba diving) in the Bahamas and it was incredible, I've been dying to go again, but I wouldn't reccomend looking for them while your snorkling.

Neat question. As an adult it's interesting that we are still afraid of things. When we're children we always looked up to our parents to "take care" of protecting us from those things that made us afraid. We never considered that our parents had fears, too. Just different than those of childhood. And some of them the same as in childhood, too.

As for me, I can't stand bridges.:( Can't drive over them. When I'm a passenger, I freeze up. Can't speak. My hands sweat. I can remember, as a child, there was a big bridge we traveled over fairly regularly. As soon as I saw the approach to the bridge I'd hunker down on the floor in the back seat until we were well across it.

I don't know where my bridge phobia came from. I don't ever recall having a bad experience that could be connected to a bridge or bridges. Just me bein' me.

That's interesting. I have the bridge phobia too. I dream about falling off of them all the time. I had to get DH to drive me to jury duty because I couldn't deal with the old bridge over the Cumberland River. I can drive over most of them, but not the old, narrow high ones. I also hate heights and snakes. Eek.

abjcooking said:
Ronjohn,
Were you snorkling or scuba diving? I have been on several shark dives (scuba diving) in the Bahamas and it was incredible, I've been dying to go again, but I wouldn't reccomend looking for them while your snorkling.

Both times in Hawaii I was snorkling. I'm pretty much fearless around water (have been most of my life). I grew up as a competitive swimmer, and was swimming as early as I was walking. Much to my parents chagrin, If there was a lake or river around, I was usually going in! (Including my parent's favorite - a jump into the water about a mile upstream of Niagra falls)

Never saw any sharks while snorkling though. An eel or two, some puffer fish, and huge sea turtle in Maui, but no sharks. My wife wasn't/isn't amused when I take off like that.

John

Something bad happening to my kids, hubby, parents, & the rest of my family, spiders (if you wanna see me have a huge hissy fit & go bonkers, just let me think there's a spider near me), hights, clowns, & last but not least, small dark spaces.

Being isolated without an escape route. I'm the guy who sat closest to the door in class. I don't ride long rides at amusement parks (I will do most any kind of rollercoaster, though). I even freak out when there are long distances between exits on the interstate sometimes. I'm always looking for an escape route.

In Yosemite Valley there is a trail next to one of the falls that goes more or less straight up. Some of the path is made of steps carved into the rock with a steel railing providing a hand hold to prevent falling over the cliff. Hikers are cooled in the summer by the mist from the waterfall. When my sons were small we all hiked up to the top for a picnic and the younger boy rode most of the way on my shoulders. It was a spectacular day that became a very pleasant memory.

Years later I dreamed that walking up those steps, each hand holding on to an ankle, I slipped on the wet rock. When I reached out with one hand to keep from falling, my son fell over the railing.

Ever since that dream I've been afraid of heights.

Big things...like the Hoover Dam, the Eifle Tower, the Tappan Zee Bridge, ice bergs, the Grand Canyon. The only reason I ever went into the Twin Towers was because there was booze on the top floor.

Heights
Spiders or anything with more than 4 legs for that matter
Snakes or anything with no legs except dolphins and manatees
Death
And another vote for clowns. Those things are evil.

17efmd8.jpg
I grew up watching Bozo. He wasn't scary. Of course, I'm of Transylvanian descent. Not much does scare me.

BC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom