What are your all time favorite aromas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4meandthem & Kayelle: very subjective like music

I respect the right to free press and free thought ... thus, it is not impolite.

You both have the right to your own viewpoints ... and thus, thanks for sharing ...

Aromas are very subjective ... I like ginger, mango and peach ... Each to his own with respect to other views and happy at the table is my adage.

MC.

Babies, especially right after a bath with baby shampoo
Rain
Orange rind
Cinnamon and nutmeg
Cloves
My husband's deodorant
Cucmbers
Lettuce
Puppies and kittens right after a bath (weird, I know)
Apricots
Strawberries
Baking bread
Tree leaves
Pine needles (but not when they are burning)
Rosemarey, oregano and basil
Browning sausage with sage
A charcoal grill
Campfires
A freshly lit match
Snow
Wet tree bark
Cooking mushrooms

Some have memories attatched, some take me to a certain place and some I just plain really like.

It's been so long that I, too, forgot laundry dried in the sun. I haven't had a clothesline in years, but the scent of going to bed on sheets fresh from the clothesline ... Heaven!

The old Albany County Public Library in Laramie, Wyoming. Oak, wood polish and Dusty Books!

Almond, ameretto, I usually have soap with an almond scent as well as hand cream

Bread baking
thanksgiving cooking
cookies baking
sea air (as long as I'm not near a clam flat)
freshly washed linen (if I ever get wealthy enough to have a maid, I'm going to insist on freshly washed sheets daily :LOL:)

You are detailed oriented - nobody mentioned linens

@ Jonny,

Funny, nobody mentioned fresh bed linens ... you are quite detailed oriented.

The exotic scents of vanilla, peach, coconut, mango, sandalwood, pear, saffron, rose water, orange water, Indian spices, musk, jasmine --- always fascinating.

M.C.

@ Jonny,

Funny, nobody mentioned fresh bed linens ... you are quite detailed oriented.

It's quite funny but I'll be very detailed again :LOL: The reason I like so much the smell of fresh bed linen is because here in Moscow most people live in apartments so you can't hang out your sheets to dry and get that fresh air smell and believe it or not I miss it :ROFLMAO: Now I buy all sorts of fabric softeners and conditioners just so I can be close to that smell when you get tucked up in bed at night when it is minus degrees outside:)

The exotic scents of vanilla, peach, coconut, mango, sandalwood, pear, saffron, rose water, orange water, Indian spices, musk, jasmine --- always fascinating.

M.C.

Mmmmmmmm I think some of those scents would give me a very peaceful sleep;)

Moscow ? Aren´t you in UK ?

Jonny,

Moscow ?

I have never been to Russia ... I thought you are from the UK ? London ?

In Spain, and Italia too, everyone hangs their sheets and laundry for that matter on a clothes line, on an enclosed terrace or outside their windows !

I have a loft apartment so, I hang on inside clothes line machine and open window in spare bedroom. I cannot hang outside as I have no height on the dining room level - kitchen level.

M.C.

Jonny,

Moscow ?

I have never been to Russia ... I thought you are from the UK ? London ?

In Spain, and Italia too, everyone hangs their sheets and laundry for that matter on a clothes line, on an enclosed terrace or outside their windows !

I have a loft apartment so, I hang on inside clothes line machine and open window in spare bedroom. I cannot hang outside as I have no height on the dining room level - kitchen level.

M.C.

Yes, Moscow, Russia!:) I'm English, born in Kent, England but moved here to live and work almost six years ago and now they can't get rid of me:LOL:

I have a balcony but to be honest if I hung it out there it would smell more of fumes than freshly mown grass:ROFLMAO:

Almond, ameretto, I usually have soap with an almond scent as well as hand cream

Bread baking
thanksgiving cooking
cookies baking
sea air (as long as I'm not near a clam flat)
freshly washed linen (if I ever get wealthy enough to have a maid, I'm going to insist on freshly washed sheets daily :LOL:)

My mum was Danish. It's typical (or was) in Teutonic cultures to "air the bed linens", e.g., most people have heard of Germans hanging the feather bed out the window. Danes make sure to open windows before making the bed.

It keeps that just-washed/sun-dried smell going for longer. ;)

Last edited:
Baby Powder
Chocolate
Fresly ground coffee

I worked in an old building that used to be a chocolate factory for more than 100 years. On warm days before they would turn on the AC, you could smell the chocolate in the wood as the building warmed up. I used to buy all my kids Easter candy there at half price. They always got the biggest solid chocolate bunny. :yum:

Crisp sheets hung out to dry on the closeline
Freshly mowed grass
The smell outside after it rains with a cool breeze.
Being in the field during harvest in the fall with the smell of upturned black dirt & corn shucks.
The smell of alfalfa & hay while bailing.

Back
Top Bottom