What are your all time favorite aromas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Ciao, Good Morning,

What are your all time favorite Aromas and why ?

My favorite aromas include the following:

A noble nosed Reserva or Gran Reserva Red wine; cinammon with spiced apple as in home baked spiced apple pie; An Espresso, a tiramisu´s espresso and black chocolate aromas, jasmine flowers, rose water used in pastries, orange flower water used in pastries, garlic sauteíng in olive oil ( with gambas al ajillo = tiny shrimp with garlic in earthenware as a Tapa ) and freshly grated ginger, which I use to make an herbal infusion ... and most of all, home made Bolognese Sauce and Fiore Sardo Pecorino aged ewe milk cheese at a Sardinian Dairy ... Why ? Aromas are subjective, parallel to art or music, or likes and dislikes ... they are memorable, they are hedonistic, they are pleasing or mal-effecting ... so be it ... that these are mine ...
Kind regards.
M.C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fresh Brewed Espresso & Coffee

Thanks so much for all the replies so early in the morning ... I know P. Fiona mentioned it is 6.45am over in Montana ... 15.00 hrs here in Madrid ...

We are all clicking with mutual scents of the world´s loveliest ...

There are so many lovely natural fragrances of herbs, and gastronomic combinations ...

Ciao, have lovely morning,
Margi.
Margi.

I'll agree with coffee. Even when I didn't like coffee, and now that I rarely drink it, the smell has always been one I loved.

Freshly mown grass. It just smells like summer to me.

Now, it just goes to show how different we all can be. Sandalwood incense, any incense, really, nauseates me. Mostly because I smell it and think of my druggie ex husband. The entire purpose on incense in the early 70s, I think, was to mask the smell of pot, which is another hated odor (refuse to call it a fragrance!). The sense of smell is a very strong one in your brain and can lead to many memories, more than a photo or a taste.

@ Claire: thanks alot for your feedback

Most oven baked items have lovely aromas: Roasts, loaves of bread, home made pastas like baked lasagna, pizza, fruit pies, chocolate cakes, quiche, meatloaf with Bolognese, roast country ham, turkey etcetra ...

Thanks again,
Margi

Now, it just goes to show how different we all can be. Sandalwood incense, any incense, really, nauseates me. Mostly because I smell it and think of my druggie ex husband. The entire purpose on incense in the early 70s, I think, was to mask the smell of pot, which is another hated odor (refuse to call it a fragrance!). The sense of smell is a very strong one in your brain and can lead to many memories, more than a photo or a taste.

I burn insense quite a bit. Mainly because my old house has a damp basement and the smell can get a bit musty. Plus, a 90 lb Malamute who goes outside regularly and a cat. As far as pot goes, haven't had to mask that smell since the 80's. I don't have the time, or many brain cells left to waste.:wacko:

Last edited:
Coffee

Home fries sizzling away on a cold winter morning.

Bread baking.

Chili sauce bubbling away on the stove in the fall during canning season!

1. Bread baking. Makes me think of one of my Grandmas who was always baking bread.
2. Spaghetti sauce on the stove. Reminds me of Mom who loved spaghetti more than anyone I have ever known.
3. The smell of a basement. Reminds me of my Grandpa and Grandma's house where the chest freezers were that housed the boxes of frozen blueberries!
4. Coffee. It is funny because I don't like to drink it, but it smells SO good!

Last edited:
As Margi wrote, just about anything roasting in the oven
Freshly ground coffee
Freshly ground coriander
Live basil
Stew, while it's cooking
I'm sure there a lots more that I'm not thinking of right now.

My fresh rosemary plant.
I have a Phalenopsis orchid, which, when it blooms, has the most delightful rose-lime fragrance.
Cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, star anise, cloves.
Apple butter.
Turkey and dressing cooking at Thanksgiving.

The smell in my grandparents garage when they were alive. It was a combination of oil paintings and my grandmothers 63 Buick Riviera which she gave me. Everybody loved that car.

White truffle oil. It has been getting a bad rap lately but I still love it.

The first smell of pine trees/dirt when hitting the mountains I grew up in.

An intoxicating womens purfume. I will compliment you if are wearing one.

A good port wine.

Back
Top Bottom