What are your thoughts on the hardcore gaming community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Wickipedia:

Hardcore gamer is a widely used term applied to describe a type of video game player. There is currently no unanimously agreed upon definition for the term. Some describe hardcore gamers as those whose leisure time is largely devoted to playing video games. This type of gamer prefers to take significant time and practice on games, in contrast to a casual gamer. Many hardcore gamers pride themselves on mastering the rules or use of a game, although this is not a strict requirement. Conflicting opinion argues that it is not so much the time spent on games however, as casual gamers can spend hundreds of hours on games without ever mastering them. Competition is another defining characteristic of hardcore gamers, who often compete in organized tournaments, leagues, or ranked play integrated into the game proper. In this light, professional gamers can be seen as an extreme example of hardcore gaming. It's also been said[by whom?] that "core" gamers or hardcore gamers is someone that plays a variety of games, master a large amount of games, and know a lot about the industry and history of video games

Video Gaming really never crossed my mind.

I immediately thought of LARPs and those folks that play. I think it depends on your experience what comes to mind. Then there's D&D and so on.

Thanks GrillingFool, thats a fair point.

Bigjim68, yeah I did mean video games, although luckily my course is about communication so i can explain a simple mix up

Andy, I'm not the best at explaining my self, as you can see however, thanks for telling me so I could fix the opening post.

GB, thanks thats very useful opinion, and I did edit my post to include those terms after i realised what Andy meant

Thanks GrillingFool, thats a fair point.

Bigjim68, yeah I did mean video games, although luckily my course is about communication so i can explain a simple mix up

Andy, I'm not the best at explaining my self, as you can see however, thanks for telling me so I could fix the opening post.

GB, thanks thats very useful opinion, and I did edit my post to include those terms after i realised what Andy meant

Gaming, the same as any hobby or pastime, that encompasses a person's entire being is bad. It's an addiction.

I feel the same way about a gamer who only plays games the same way I feel about someone who just reads books all the time. They need balance in their lives.

At first I thought this wasn't a good topic for Discuss Cooking, but under the heading, "Discuss Life" I guess it is valid. After all, look at it. 27 posts to a question posted an hour ago sounds like people do have opinions the OP may find useful.

Personally, I don't think it does the kid any good except for learning to use war-like killing machines, and keeping the kid off the streets while playing the video games.

Personally, I don't think it does the kid any good except for learning to use war-like killing machines, and keeping the kid off the streets while playing the video games.
There have actually been many studies done that shop that video games are good for people (in moderation). They improve hand-eye coordination, concentration, problem solving, and many other things.

Brain dead video games.;) Got a few early 20's still living at home in our community that are perfect examples of "hardcore gamers". They remind me of the hardcore "stoners" that I knew in high school back in the mid-'70's. Most of the "stoners" actually graduated though.:)

Craig

Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or haven't had enough coffee yet to make sense of this thread.:blink: Why is this not spam?

Why is this guy here, and what does this have to do with cooking?
A brand new poster starting out with this kind of a question, is beyond ridiculous on a cooking forum, in my humble opinion. :censored:

Grrrr.....pass the coffee.

Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or haven't had enough coffee yet to make sense of this thread.:blink: Why is this not spam?

Why is this guy here, and what does this have to do with cooking?
A brand new poster starting out with this kind of a question, is beyond ridiculous on a cooking forum, in my humble opinion. :censored:

Grrrr.....pass the coffee.

Which is why I usually don't post when I first wake up. I'm not civilized yet.

My first reaction was the same as yours, but after reading all the posts, I gathered that it's a subject DCers want to talk about. 27 posts in just an hour!

Last edited:
It struck me as a little odd as well, but the OP seems polite and genuine so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. He does not seem to be here to sell anything or cause any trouble. I believe him when he says he is in school and working on a project. A cooking site is a weird place to come to get opinions on gaming, but then again he did say he is looking for different opinions. If he went to a gaming site it would be pretty obvious what kind of responses he would get.

Sorry if I didn't sound "civilized". You should have read what I deleted. :LOL::devilish:

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: I do that too. It helps to get the grouchy out and realize just how grouchy I am, then NOT post it.:ROFLMAO:

BTW, I've come to realize that the grouchiness is usually associated with pain, rather than anything bothering me in my life. I usually hurt worse in the morning.

Last edited:
The OP is definitely not trolling here. I can usually smell a troll from a mile away.
I like traditional board games like Scrabble. The younger video game community produce great drone pilots though, if they ever decide to do that.

I have never been good at sports like hand ball because of poor vision, but once a girlfriend pushed me into a game of paddleball at the beach and I was suddenly returning most of her serves. I finally figured out that I had learned to point and click from using the computer and that made my reactions a lot better.

I'm definitely a non-traditional 50 year old...
I play a fair amount of first person shooter games, but so far only WWII ones.
My wife and I both like Co-op screen Dungeon and Dragon type games
(sword and sorcery, hack and slash)..
And we both are somewhat addicted to Rock Band, which is like Guitar Hero.
Apparently we are somewhat unusual there... we actually strive to get better,
and are now on Hard difficulty level. I have new respect for rock band musicians now!
(We went on our honeymoon to Vegas 10 years ago, discovered we both liked video games, came home and bought a PS2.
Ten years later, we went back for our anniversary, discovered Rock Band, came home and bought a PS3!!! )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom