What Did We Ever Do Before Fast Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our rare fall-backs were either take out pizza or Chinese. But Mom cooked almost every night of her life, so we didn't go out to eat much at all, except for special occasions. We almost never eat at a fast food place these days. The one exception is Chick-fil-a, and only when we're on vacation.

mobbq5.jpg

Anyone remember signs like this?...
Remember it? I see one just like it each time I go to shop at Aldi in Dayville, CT. Zip's Diner is right across the street. New England is littered with diner's.

I was a regular patron of the first A & W fast food shop opened in Canada...I'm still a regular at A. & W. restaurants to this day !
Loved A & W so much I had one of their mugs - the heavy glass one you could kill a person with. :ermm: The root beer seemed to taste better from their mug. Haven't been to one for years, so I thought I would look them up. The nearest one isn't close, but we could make it fit into a very circuitous route home after doing a grocery run to Aldi. They open for the season on March 7th; their Fridays special will be clamcakes and chowder. Might make a run sometime during Lent.

This reminds me of an article I read on Serious Eats recently, by the author of "Drive-Thru Dreams: A Journey Through the Heart of America's Fast-Food Kingdom."...
I read that book last fall. It was really interesting and entertaining.

I think about the days before fast food, take away, and delivery.

When I was growing up we didn’t have access to those types of food so we scrambled an egg, opened a can of tuna fish or a can of beans and made some toast instead of spending twenty five or thirty dollars for a mediocre meal.

Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy the unlimited choice and availability but sometimes I think we fail to appreciate the cost involved.

It's quite nostalgic to think about the days before fast food took over. Those small, family-owned eateries with simple "EAT" signs by the road definitely had their charm. It's interesting how they were often reminiscent of rail road dining cars, perhaps a nod to the predominant mode of travel back then.

It's quite nostalgic to think about the days before fast food took over. Those small, family-owned eateries with simple "EAT" signs by the road definitely had their charm. It's interesting how they were often reminiscent of rail road dining cars, perhaps a nod to the predominant mode of travel back then.
Pennsylvania's rich history with such places adds a touch of authenticity to the dining experience. Speaking of enjoying a good watch, have you ever tried exploring the world of Korean cuisine? A modern twist on a classic favorite, the Korean corn dog recipe could be a delightful adventure for your taste buds.

I think about the days before fast food, take away, and delivery.

When I was growing up we didn’t have access to those types of food so we scrambled an egg, opened a can of tuna fish or a can of beans and made some toast instead of spending twenty five or thirty dollars for a mediocre meal.

Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy the unlimited choice and availability but sometimes I think we fail to appreciate the cost involved.
We rarely went out. When traveling, we would stop at truck stops and roadside diners. Once, we had to travel on a holiday. Everything was closed so Momma suggested we find a hospital as they had cafeterias. Momma was resourceful.

Something quick was what you listed along with toasted cheese or bowl of canned soup. Breakfast for dinner was always a possibility.
To this day, I absolutely love Mom and Pop diners or drive-ins.

To my way of thinking, before the fast food's of the A & W era - people just didn't travel like they do now. Family's grew up and stayed in the same area or not too far away.

Fast food places were called Diners back then.

As cars became more and more popular/affordable and teenagers also had cars as well, the fast foods catered as much to them and the now burgeoning distance travelers.
I think true fast food places could almost be categorized as usually being a franchise.

I can still remember eating at drugstore counters and booths with the individual jukeboxes! $.25 got you 4 or 6 songs. ;)

I agree with @dragnlaw , the automobile had a lot to do with how America eats.

In the late 50s and early 60s my grandmother became a fan of the Sunday drive.

Those Sunday drives were purely recreational and the destination was usually a restaurant or diner.

Quack’s Diner, now Quack’s Village Inn, was one of her favorite destinations.

1691871060221.jpeg

Last edited:
I am not too sure what you guys are talking about. Are you talking about food trucks?

I am not too sure what you guys are talking about. Are you talking about food trucks?
I don't believe so. I don't think they qualify as diners. Kinda fast food, although most food trucks these days have elevated "foodie" menus.

Oh WOW... I want that seafood platter, shrimp, scallops, clams, scallops again, and a fish I think. couln't get past the scallops. :LOL:
I like all of the elements breaded and fried except for the scallops (if they are referring to sea scallops and not bay scallops). I love my sea scallops seared.
20230618_041204.jpg

Last edited:
I don't believe so. I don't think they qualify as diners. Kinda fast food, although most food trucks these days have elevated "foodie" menus.
I see.

From the way people are talking, I kind of get the sense that they are talking about an earlier era.

There is a place nearby that has a nostalgia theme, they have burgers and fries and shakes. This is probably what the original poster is talking about.

I see.

From the way people are talking, I kind of get the sense that they are talking about an earlier era.

There is a place nearby that has a nostalgia theme, they have burgers and fries and shakes. This is probably what the original poster is talking about.
Agreed. Food trucks were not a thing back then. Diners still are, however.

I see.

Yes, we are. Go back to the beginning posts and there are a couple of definitions of how we think of "fast food".

Before 'fast food' came along eg. MacDonald's, KFC, Wendy's, etc. most people ate in 'diners' - also known as 'greasy spoons'. No table cloths, nothing fancy, where truckers and traveling salesmen would eat while on the road, as they were the only ones usually traveling distances from home.

Even Food Trucks are fairly new, springing up from the need of high rise office workers in cities.

Even Food Trucks are fairly new, springing up from the need of high rise office workers in cities.
Good point. I hadn't thought of office workers but I did notice that food truck food isn't cheap even though it doesn't come from a real restaurant that has overheads such as rent, facility, nice place settings, real waitresses..etc. I think it's oriented towards people who make a comfortable living such as office workers working downtown, which is also where I tend to see these food trucks.

Hmm, we think of food trucks as being something newish in Montreal, since they weren't legal until recently. But, we did have a form of food trucks since at least the 1970s. They didn't make any food. A large van would show up in the parking lot of an industrial area or an area with a lot of offices and very few, if any, restos nearby. They sold packaged sandwiches and meals, desserts, soft drinks, juice containers, snacks, salads, maybe microwaved soups, etc. Overpriced, uninspired, but handy. They would open up one side of the truck, so you could see the stuff they had.

Ditto taxy, but w also did not call them food trucks but Canteens. They came twice a day, 10ish and about noon, sometimes 3 times a day but not always. When they llifted the side panel, they could dispense hot - cold beverages, donuts, limited hot meals like pizza slices or things that they brought from their warehouse and wrapped were kept warm.
The drivers had their own territories; would keep tabs on credit purchases, knew all our names. I saw one warehouse worker have a $75.00 tab at the end of a week. Don't think he hit the bars that weekend! LOL

Only ever really remember seeing "food trucks" at fairs or gatherings of some sort, where the venders could stand inside and cook.

As to what is available now in Montreal - since the 90's the furthest I went was the "West Island" - that was my 'downtown'. Where I met taxy a couple of times for lunch eh? Then we hit the Asian market.

Ditto taxy, but w also did not call them food trucks but Canteens. They came twice a day, 10ish and about noon, sometimes 3 times a day but not always. When they llifted the side panel, they could dispense hot - cold beverages, donuts, limited hot meals like pizza slices or things that they brought from their warehouse and wrapped were kept warm.
The drivers had their own territories; would keep tabs on credit purchases, knew all our names. I saw one warehouse worker have a $75.00 tab at the end of a week. Don't think he hit the bars that weekend! LOL

Only ever really remember seeing "food trucks" at fairs or gatherings of some sort, where the venders could stand inside and cook.

As to what is available now in Montreal - since the 90's the furthest I went was the "West Island" - that was my 'downtown'. Where I met taxy a couple of times for lunch eh? Then we hit the Asian market.
You're right. They were called canteens. I couldn't remember what we called them. And as to the food trucks in Montreal, I have only heard about them. I haven't seen them yet.

Back
Top Bottom