What did you do for your mom today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I have to say that I did NOTHING for my mother today. I live a long way from her, and did all I can and called her yesterday (I have a fair number of siblings who do live near her). But I do have a God-mother whose son died young, and I called her and we chatted for an hour or so (and, yes, I sent cards to both). I'll be seeing my own mother in a few days.

When I lived near my mother, I'd go to her house and make a huge meal for my entire family.

What did you do for your mother!

We my girls and I stopped by church and said a prayer for mom, then we went to the cemetery and brought her her favorite flowers, roses.That is all we could do, to remember her and say I love you.
kadesma

For Mom

Like many, we live far from both Moms. We sent them flowers and called. Both Mom's seem to appreciate it.

~Kathleen

When I was shopping last week I saw a beautiful navy and white caftan in the style my mother likes so I got that and sent it to her with a card. She received it on Thursday and called to say she loved it. Yesterday I called
to wish her a happy Mothers' Day. She said she was wearing the caftan and loved it. She had my sister take a picture and send it to me. She is 92 years old and always tells me how much she loves me but it makes me sad when we leave her, she cries. That really gets to me.

Speaking of such things, I cannot think of stuff to buy for my parents any more. I used to love to send Mom flowers, and she used to love to receive them. Then for several times in a row, the delivery-person just left them on the door step if no one answered the door. In Florida. In the summer. In 90 plus degrees heat and not in the shade. After having several $50 or so (by the time you pay delivery, taxes, etc, even the cheapest arrangement will cost that) gifts ruined, my mom (who loves the flowers, as does my father and the rest of the family) asked me not to send flowers again. And that isn't even talking about companies that put them in the mail, those arrive looking like someone put them on the ground and slept on them in their sleeping bag. It breaks my heart that I can't seem to sent Mom flowers any more. I don't quite "get" how I could manage to send flowers from Hawaii for a decade and have them arrive OK, but can't phone in an order from her local florist without it being left outside to completely ruin in the heat.

I thought of her all day, as I've done every mother's day for the last 28 years. How can it be that long ....... yesterday, and forever ago. I was her late in life baby, and nobody has ever had a better mother. When people would say.."she must have been a 'mistake'" her comment was always, "she was my blessing".
I've never forgotten that, and my feelings were the same. She gave me the very best upbringing.."roots and wings". I remember Mama.

My mom's birthday is a week before Mother's Day, and we always combine the two.

This year, my brother, sister and I gave her a dumpster!! We rented a dumpster for a month, and my sis and I have been helping her clean house and throw things away. (She is not a hoarder, but she lives in the country and has no trash pickup--garbage goes into a compost pile, some stuff is burned, but lots of stuff kind of piles up.) We threw away years worth of magazines, clothes, shoes, appliances.

She was tickled, the three of us had a couple of days of laughing and working, and she has a cleaner house.

Back
Top Bottom