What do you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clutch

Washing Up
I did a search for this to see if it was already done, which it prolly was, but there was like 12 pages of stuff to go thru and I really didn't have time.

So, what do you do for a living?

I work as a Peri Operative Tech (OR Grunt, LOL :LOL: ) and am starting out as a financial advisor.

Do now? Or what led me to where I am? That's a neater question, I think.

Me. Trained/educated as school teacher/sociologist/writer. In the past I worked as an identifications tech for the F.B.I. in Washington, D.C. Property management officer for a trio of apartment complexes in suburban Maryland. In-home daycare provider. Civilian employee acting as a department secretary for a navy installation.

Designed and sewn wedding gowns. Merry Maids office manager/supervisor. Computer company collections manager.

Currently own and operate an interior design business and write a syndicated column for U.S. newspapers.

Other than those jobs, nothing of any note.:LOL: Just tryin' to make a livin' and not be bored.

Oh, best job of all... wife and mother. Been doing that for nearly 38 years.

Last edited:
Well, since you wanted to go there:

Greasy spoon local chicken place (Chicken Coupe), Edwards/Stop and Shop, IHOP, Burger King (almost every single one in Monmouth County over the course of 3 years, scattered within and during the next few jobs), Toys R Us overnight, Kmart (two days worked, paid for three. Hey, I ain't complaining), Pep Boys, TGI Fridays, Path Mark deli, Barnes and Noble, Sears, Bayshore Community Hospital (2 1/2 years) and with CitiGroup (technically) about 4 years, but only recently realized, as with my past, I'm the only one who can do for me, no one else will, nor with they help me get where I need to be.

That's a few too many jobs for a 22 year old and it's weird going back and seeing the same kids I worked with 3-4-5 years ago working in the same place, not doing much with their life but struggling to afford a child they weren't ready for. I made a promise to my GF because she want's to have a child before she hits 30 (she's 26 as of September), that this will be my year.

My goals are to be making 3 times what I am now, being able to get us a place, getting myself a new truck and help her get back into school to change her career, by the end of the year. Oh and also to put a ring on her finger, on her 27th birthday.

Countdown Clock

Clutch said:
I did a search for this to see if it was already done, which it prolly was, but there was like 12 pages of stuff to go thru and I really didn't have time.

So, what do you do for a living?

I work as a Peri Operative Tech (OR Grunt, LOL :LOL: ) and am starting out as a financial advisor.

Somebody posted a link where you take a test to see if you are a male or female. We listed all this stuff there. Our lives are entwined in the recipe post we make and the laughter that we share. NOYB (none of your business!)

I run a courier service with 18 employees and over 20 vehicles. In my spare time I play in my woodshop or work on my house.

Cool thread.

Healthcare software company, work on interfaces between our database and other vendor databases. Involves programming, analysis, travel, and I also do some of our training.

I herd cats and beat my head against a brick wall all day. :angel: (Well, that's what it feels like. I'm a 4th grade teacher).

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
I herd cats and beat my head against a brick wall all day. :angel: (Well, that's what it feels like. I'm a 4th grade teacher).

:) Barbara
Hey, Barbara. Thank you for doing a very difficult job. I remember what it was like to be 10-years-old. Fun but not easy for my adults.

Oh...and about the cats. Kinda like 4th graders sometimes.

StirBlue said:
Somebody posted a link where you take a test to see if you are a male or female. We listed all this stuff there. Our lives are entwined in the recipe post we make and the laughter that we share.

Like I said, sorry. I did search for it, I was just making a specific post.

NOYB (none of your business!)

Stripper?

If you didn't want to answer, you didn't have to post at all.

Clutch said:
Like I said, sorry. I did search for it, I was just making a specific post.

Stripper?

If you didn't want to answer, you didn't have to post at all.

Actually, Clutch, I find it fascinating to learn what paths we take to get where we get. Many of us may spend thousands of dollars on a college education only to discover that that is not where we want to go. Curious, isn't it?

At any rate, all the things we do/learn along the way are what turn us into the people we are. I'm using some of what I studied and a lot more of what I LEARNED along the way. Sometimes life is the best teacher. Also the most challenging taskmaster. No matter...the best lesson is to keep learning from what is thrown in our path.

Okay, life, it's your serve.

Katie E said:
At any rate, all the things we do/learn along the way are what turn us into the people we are. I'm using some of what I studied and a lot more of what I LEARNED along the way. Sometimes life is the best teacher. Also the most challenging taskmaster. No matter...the best lesson is to keep learning from what is thrown in our path.

Okay, life, it's your serve.

Growing up quick, with no one to turn to, seeing your father beat your mother from as far back as you can remember and taking drunken beatings just for playing as any child would, let alone the other abuse I received, makes for one **** of a person. Just ask my GF.

Since 11, I was the man of the house. Since 14, I have worked for and bought EVERYTHING I own. Was a bit of a pot head for a little over a year (just before I turned 18) and was heading towards becoming an alcoholic, just as my father. Than one day I woke up and realized, "My problems are still here, slapping me in the face. Pot and booze ain't the solution." I got off my *** and decided to fix things. I got straight, worked on getting a better job so I could make a little more and get myself into college to do something with my life. Still haven't made it to college, but I am working on that. I have a steady job at a hospital and I'm building a career in finance. I have plans to open a diner and progress into a resturant from there. Considering most of the people who have been thru what I have, or anything near it, are eiother druggies or in jail, I think I did a pretty good job of turning around everything life has thrown my way. I still have the constant BS whenever I start to get ahead something goes really wrong, mainly my cars.

There are still times where I put my shell back on and start to push my GF away cause the main thing I learned growing up was I can rely on no one but myself and I have never needed anyone but me. I was in and out of relationships cause girls would become attached to me and I didn't know what to do so I would disappear. I've almost done it to my GF many times and I'm so glad she stuck thru for me. I've never been able to tell anyone what filled my childhood until her.

Clutch said:
Growing up quick, with no one to turn to, seeing your father beat your mother from as far back as you can remember and taking drunken beatings just for playing as any child would, let alone the other abuse I received, makes for one **** of a person. Just ask my GF.

Since 11, I was the man of the house. Since 14, I have worked for and bought EVERYTHING I own. Was a bit of a pot head for a little over a year (just before I turned 18) and was heading towards becoming an alcoholic, just as my father. Than one day I woke up and realized, "My problems are still here, slapping me in the face. Pot and booze ain't the solution." I got off my *** and decided to fix things. I got straight, worked on getting a better job so I could make a little more and get myself into college to do something with my life. Still haven't made it to college, but I am working on that. I have a steady job at a hospital and I'm building a career in finance. I have plans to open a diner and progress into a resturant from there. Considering most of the people who have been thru what I have, or anything near it, are eiother druggies or in jail, I think I did a pretty good job of turning around everything life has thrown my way. I still have the constant BS whenever I start to get ahead something goes really wrong, mainly my cars.

There are still times where I put my shell back on and start to push my GF away cause the main thing I learned growing up was I can rely on no one but myself and I have never needed anyone but me. I was in and out of relationships cause girls would become attached to me and I didn't know what to do so I would disappear. I've almost done it to my GF many times and I'm so glad she stuck thru for me. I've never been able to tell anyone what filled my childhood until her.

Good for you, Clutch. At an early age you have learned some very hard lessons. Even though I don't know you personally, I'm so proud of you and you should be patting yourself on the back for your accomplishments and strength. You have provided a "ground" for yourself.

I'm glad you have a GF who is part of your support system. Lean on her and allow yourself to be vulnerable. That is not a sign of weakness. It is a sign of having a heart. You have been strong for many for a long time. Her support will only double, or more, your strength. Let her in. You will be amazed at how strong and loving you can be with help.

I speak from a similar experience. I took care of my 4 siblings when I was 10-years-old because of an extremely dysfunctional family situation. Drugs, booze, etc. Hang in there. It can, and will, get better.

I'm retired but I've been fooling around developing a self help program (we need another one of these) called Spiritually Creative Destiny. Just for the heck of it and it's been fun so far......

Thanks Katie. She has opened me up. I have never loved anyone the way I love her. I think it's mainly cause I was scared of losing those I loved or them turning out to be something other than what they seemed. There is never a moment while we are together when I don't wanna just grab her (and most of the time I do) and squeeze (lovingly, of course) and kiss her.

Spirit, there is only one problem with "self help", it's NEVER the person helping themselves. It's someone else telling someone how to help themselves. I mean no disrespect, I'm sure your group is amazing. Just pointing that out. LOL.

What exactly is "Spiritually Creative Destiny"?

Last edited:
I love reading the stories of where you started and how you came to be where your at now.... I'll spare you mine....

what I do now is MQSeries... aka Websphere MQ. Fun fun!!!!

Back
Top Bottom