What do you do for a living?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If work sucks, you are in the wrong job.

Once I became an empty nester, I enjoyed my work. It got me out of the house, (which I don't do much of now) and I made some very nice friends. I got to work in so many different companies all over Boston, and in some I made a idfference. That is probably why I do so much for the residents here. It keeps my mind occupied and thinking. If I were still part of the working world, I could take off the winter and still collect my SS with no penalties.

My original grand plan was to work until I was 72. Then partially retire and do volunteer work for the Boston Symphony and Boston Ballet companies. That way I could get to see all of their preformances free. :angel:

I do what I do well. I work for a school district. My title is Autism Program Tutor but that can be misleading. What I do is more of a coach position. I travel to 20 different schools and coach others on how to work with kids with autism spectrum disorders (ASD). I help with programming and classroom strategies. It is a rewarding job, even though it can be quite stressful at times. Most days are very satisfying because I make a difference.

I was a Mystery Shopper for a movie theater that was near us for a few years. They changed hands and the program ended. I loved doing that. I actually belong to another Mystery Shopper site but haven't done any of theirs yet.

That is great Barbara, I agree, it is fun

The only thing that is a bit long winded is the reports afterwards....with some of the jobs they have soooo many questions and they take forever to type it all up

I do what I do well. I work for a school district. My title is Autism Program Tutor but that can be misleading. What I do is more of a coach position. I travel to 20 different schools and coach others on how to work with kids with autism spectrum disorders (ASD). I help with programming and classroom strategies. It is a rewarding job, even though it can be quite stressful at times. Most days are very satisfying because I make a difference.

Kudos to you kid. :angel: And one for you and the kiddies. :angel: :angel:

Unemployed cabinetmaker/engineer for 3 years now. I call myself a stay at home Dad now. I am self employed part-time flipping stuff like gym equip and doing small odd jobs. Maybe I should switch to semi-retired.

Unemployed cabinetmaker/engineer for 3 years now. I call myself a stay at home Dad now. I am self employed part-time flipping stuff like gym equip and doing small odd jobs. Maybe I should switch to semi-retired.

I had a job once for a cabinet maker. I loved the smell of the wood in the workshop. And I used to love to go out there and watch the skill the men used in doing their craft. :angel:

Registered Nurse taking care of the Elderly and fighting to get them their Gov't Benefits.

Addie said:
Kudos to you kid. :angel: And one for you and the kiddies. :angel: :angel:

Thanks Addie. I learn so much from the kids I service each day. It's really a win/win.

Thanks Addie. I learn so much from the kids I service each day. It's really a win/win.

Wish my Nephew had someone like you when he was in school, Chopper. Poor kid had a tough time with only his family understanding his problems.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Wish my Nephew had someone like you when he was in school, Chopper. Poor kid had a tough time with only his family understanding his problems.

My son struggled in school too. I wish I knew then what I know now. At least I advocated for him, and I had pretty good instincts even before we knew that he had Aspergers Syndrome (also on the autism spectrum) and before i was trained.

I'm in the medical administrative field. Used to book operating rooms at a big urban hospital until my husband & I moved to rural British Columbia. I spent a year looking for work & have since been working for a speech therapist while doing various other clerical tasks around the health unit.

After spending the year not working, I admit that I did not miss working at all. I surprised myself by discovering I really loved being "Susie Homemaker" - keeping the house clean, reorganizing, making meals, etc. My hubby & I joke that he needs to make more money so I can be a "stay at home mom" to our cats.

I am a retired chef/caterer/cake decorator, though I still do a few cakes here and there (that may change thanks to another health discovery) and consult for caterers. I will put their event menus together with quantities, directions, and supply/food lists together for friends in the business. I am finding it more fun than work, though I only do it once in awhile.

I am being "wooed" into another business by a photographer friend of mine where I would design and make crocheted or sewn baby props for photographers. Again health is a big factor so I am not making a firm decision until the new year. I did post a couple pictures of my designs on my profile.

I'm a cake decorator in a grocery store. Didn't think that this is where I'd be at this point in life, but to be honest I really enjoy my job. The benefits are good and I'm treated well. I consider this industry quite stable in this economy, and I'm with a very stable company. Luckily this is a profession that I can get a job in any grocery store easily, good decorators are hard to find, that and we have so many grocery stores in this area that it is kind of ridiculous.

My friends want me to start a bakery, I don't know if I have the nerve for the financial side of things. Financial uncertainty stresses me out.

I'm a cake decorator in a grocery store. Didn't think that this is where I'd be at this point in life, but to be honest I really enjoy my job. The benefits are good and I'm treated well. I consider this industry quite stable in this economy, and I'm with a very stable company. Luckily this is a profession that I can get a job in any grocery store easily, good decorators are hard to find, that and we have so many grocery stores in this area that it is kind of ridiculous.

My friends want me to start a bakery, I don't know if I have the nerve for the financial side of things. Financial uncertainty stresses me out.

You are right for the uncertainity in this economy. We still don't know where it is going. Until we do, stay put. At least you have a job. :angel:

I was a website designer/ web technologies manager for many years. I left my job in March for medical reasons. I went to culinary school for a couple months, but my health worsened and I had to withdraw. Now I'm on disability and figuring out what to do next.

I am a registered nurse (retired) and am in my second year of my second career as a Sign Language interpreter. I am currently working for an agency at the local community college and also substitute for a local school system which gives me a variety of folks to work with from preschool to high school. I am pursuing national educational interpreter certification and hope to complete that with the help of my mentor some time next year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom