What Else Do You Make Besides Food Stuffs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the fly rod is complete, with the reel loaded with backing, flt line, leader, and tippet. All that's now needed is for someone to tie on a streamer, or nymph. and go fishing. This rod is for my son's dental business, to attract customers. It's worth $700 + in parts, labor, and tax. My son ordered it and stated he will pay full price for it. Of course I'll be giving him a disount.:D It came out gorgeous.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• 20210826_165517.jpg
    20210826_165517.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210826_165532.jpg
    20210826_165532.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210826_165543.jpg
    20210826_165543.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210826_165630.jpg
    20210826_165630.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210826_165636.jpg
    20210826_165636.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210826_165646.jpg
    20210826_165646.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210826_165716.jpg
    20210826_165716.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210826_165745.jpg
    20210826_165745.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 47
Well, the fly rod is complete, with the reel loaded with backing, flt line, leader, and tippet. All that's now needed is for someone to tie on a streamer, or nymph. and go fishing. This rod is for my son's dental business, to attract customers. It's worth $700 + in parts, labor, and tax. My son ordered it and stated he will pay full price for it. Of course I'll be giving him a disount.:D It came out gorgeous.

Not being a Fishermen myself, I can still appreciate the workmanship Chief.

Not being a Fishermen myself, I can still appreciate the workmanship Chief.

Thanks Kgirl. Sometimes taking the time, bent over the workbench to put on the guide wrapping thread, or glue on parts, and other meticulous tasks, made my neck, and back hurt. But everything had to be perfect. It was both a labor of love, and an exercise in making functional art. I have tons of patience, and have worked with meticulous things all of my adult life, silversmithing, electrical component troubleshooting, soldering, etc. And because of the nature of most of the jobs I had, if things weren't perfect, it could put lives at risk. But this was different. It's a reflection of me, giving my best to one of my boys. It had to be the best that I could make it.

Do we have any fiction writers, or someone who can illustrate covers? I have several novels that I would like to e-publish, 3 SF, and 2 fantasy. I'm looking for someone who can proofread, and who can make constructive comment on the content, pointing out any inconsistencies, or how to flesh out the characters. I was told by a professional agent that my stories are very good, but that the characters were a bit two dimensional, and needed to be fleshed out some. I've re-written the fantasy novel that was looked at several times, to make the characters better. I would consider a writing partner.

Apart from cooking...
I´m a qualified TEFL teacher, I teach English as a foreign language at all levels, from zero beginners to advanced, and I also teach GMAT, GRE, SAT, TOEFL and IELTS exams.
I coach students who are entering university, or doing a postgrad, with their entrance essays and personal statements. Writing is what I love, so I teach them how to write a convincing essay to at least make the right impression.
I´m also an orchid fanatic - there are hundreds of different varieties here in South America - although I´ve had some setbacks in the past year because I was away for 4 months and the gardener didn´t water them.Never mind - recuperation time is here.

With twigs from local shrubbery, I've been making pencils.

CbbUy4N.jpg

It's not difficult, given an extra-long drill and the proper leads, and I enjoy giving them away to dinner guests and friends.

EuPy77d.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

I enjoy crafting and using those crafted items to decorate our home.
I saw this idea a coupla years back, but could never find the large wooden letters.

:idea:

Why not look for them long before the holiday!
I bought these 3 back in I think it was May or June and just put them away.
Broke them out the other day, painted them, embellished and hung them today.
Too cute.
The table décor I've had for years.
Ceramic Pumpkins with metals stem and leaves.

I haven't done any of my crafters for some time now, I've just had too much on my plate, so to speak. ;)

I enjoy crochet, beading, and photography. Not sure if photography counts as making stuff, but it gets me out in nature.

All the guides are now wrapped on my premium rod blank. I just need my son to verify that they are aligned perfectly. This rod cost me about $530.00 to build. It's going to be a Christmas gift for my daughter-in-law. She's such a good wife to my son, and mother to my grandkids, she deserves it. If I was selling it, I'd be asking $700.00 for it. This rod is my masterpiece, not as much bling, but a serious fish catching tool.:mrgreen: I was going to sell it at cost to my other son, but he can build his own rod if he wants.

DIL will have to purchase a reel, and fly line, leader, and tippet. I have the backing already.

Woodcarving. A doorpost to repel demons—

OPjvh8A.jpg

A waka huia (feather canoe) a Mäori-style treasure box carved with a traditional koru pattern.

dOmfAWY.jpg

Little stuff—

U5bMGRq.jpg

Last edited:
I love the way this rod turned out. The pictures don't show it well. The wraps were made with natural white silk thread, and turn transparent when the epoxy is applied to the guide wraps, creating what is known as an invisible wrap. you can see the guide feet through the wraps, and epoxy as if looking through glass. I was extra careful winding the thread onto the guide feet, making sure the tread wound smoothly, each strand laying flat against the rod blank, with no crossed, or overlapping threads, o thread nibs, etc. I made this one as perfect as possible. My son has better than normal vision, unlike me, and so I had him verify that all of the guides were perfectly aligned. I had already measured the correct distances from each guide, using the tip as the starting reference. I did what's called a 2 line static test, where a short line bends the rod tip to 90 degrees, with a 2nd line running from the reel, through all of the guides, with just enough weight to pull the line taut. Then you check that line to verify that the guides are spaced to distribute the stress evenly down the blank, and keep the line from contacting the blank at any point.

Of course the same attention was given to gluing on the cork grip, reel seat, and fighting butt.

A lot goes into crafting a custom rod. I made sure that with this rod, everything was perfect.

I put the same effort into all of my custom rod builds. I've just not used invisible wraps before. That attention to detail is the difference between a $50 rod from the department store, and my average price of $800.00+ for my builds. Plus, I use top of the line hardware in my builds. It typically costs me about $550.00 for the blank, and all of he parts, and another $200 + for the reel.

When you figure that avid fishermen will spend $30,000 on a good boat, the price of a custom rod isn't so great.

Chief, I understand pride in workmanship, but when you add up the figures, you are only making $50.00 a rod? Not even 'guesstinating' at the hours!

Did I miss something here?

Used to make string instruments. Here's a simple dulcimer I built for my mother. The sides, back, and headstock are from old Honduras mahogany bookshelves salvaged when a college building was demolished. Beaut instrument wood: rang like a bell. The top is Sitka spruce with guitar-style braces. Fingerboard is curly maple.

7YbCKgX.jpg

vzhDOQ9.jpg

I built several, just for fun and to learn the craft. When I finished one, I'd sit on the plaza at the uni and play it: usually took less than an hour to sell.

Last edited:
Woodcarving. A doorpost to repel demons—

OPjvh8A.jpg

A waka huia (feather canoe) a Mäori-style treasure box carved with a traditional koru pattern.

dOmfAWY.jpg

Little stuff—

U5bMGRq.jpg

What did you use for painting inside the groove. I just started doing some carving and am having really hard time with painting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom