What Else Do You Make Besides Food Stuffs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wood working. But what I really enjoy is cigar smoking. Or to keep it with the tread theme I should have said i like to burn things ;):LOL:, You know I'm joking, right?

What did you use for painting inside the groove. I just started doing some carving and am having really hard time with painting.

Don't recall. Probably india ink, which bleeds out into the grain. You let it dry and then sand or scrape the piece, which removes some of ink outside the cuts.

I love seeing quality woodworking. I one made a thee masted clipper ship, making my own rat lines, tackle, making billowed silk sails, staining the wood, etc. It took me months. I was very proud of it. The, I was discharged from the Navy, and decided to move my family from San Diego to Spokane. The navy was paying for the moving company. As everything was being packed up, the movers saw the clipper ship and stated that I
'd better let them move it so it would be safe. I did that. Big mistake. It arrived in Spokane just smashed beyond repair. I no longer had the woodworking tools, or the time to construct a new hull. I couldn't get insurance reimbursement as I had only material costs, and the time and effort couldn't be priced.

Moral of the story, If you spend the time to make something nice, don't trust it to just anyone. Bitzer, and Charlie, both of you are skilled woodworking artists. Show us pictures.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Using my drill for eggs, I thought to make some name plaques for his rabbits.
Mr. Crowley had to become a Mrs. [emoji849] and need to try and enlarge Mary on a Cross a bit. Started this during the summer but life seems to get in the way of a lot of my projects.
Anyhoo.. getting there slowly but surely. 20211209_092320.jpg

I haven't been doing any 'crafting' in months!
My time has been dedicated to my elder Mother and her care,
but now that she is in her own apartment, I have oodles of time on my hands.

IMG_1338.jpg

I love love love Dollar Stores, Dollar Tree in particular.
Awhiles back, when they first put out their Easter/Spring goods,
I scooped this up, thinking at some point I'd be able to complete this project.

IMG_1339.jpg

How stinkin' cute is that?!

IMG_1340.jpg

Now I need a new project to make!!!

HEH! I just noticed that his bow tie is crooked :LOL:

I'll get some pictures later to show off this skill. Have you any idea how challenging it is to tie a trico, or blue winged olive on a size 20 hook (tiny hook) when your eyes can't hardly see the hook eye? And a scud on a 22 hook (even smaller. When my eyes were still good, the smallest hooks I tied on were 28's. And yes, these tiny flies can catch big browns, rainbows, bass, etc. The largest streamers I've tie are in size 2 hooks (about an inch and a half long, and very sturdy).

Anyone else work with very small items, say a hobby in watch repair, or jewelry? I've done silversmithing, and made rings with silver bands, with ruby, Safire, jade, carnelian, fire opal, onyx, and emerald as the stones. Some were faceted stones, while others were cabochons. I also made pendants.

I'll get some pictures later to show off this skill. Have you any idea how challenging it is to tie a trico, or blue winged olive on a size 20 hook (tiny hook) when your eyes can't hardly see the hook eye? And a scud on a 22 hook (even smaller. When my eyes were still good, the smallest hooks I tied on were 28's. And yes, these tiny flies can catch big browns, rainbows, bass, etc. The largest streamers I've tie are in size 2 hooks (about an inch and a half long, and very sturdy).
Hey, Chief. Have you thought about getting a magnifier with a light? I did a quick search and there are desktop versions as well as floor models, like this. It might be helpful.
2022-03-05-09-09-54.jpg

Sent from my SM-T380 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

My SIL has one of those and uses it when doing counted cross stitch or working on a quilt. She finds it very helpful. It's even good for reading tiny tiny print on warning labels!

My SIL has one of those and uses it when doing counted cross stitch or working on a quilt. She finds it very helpful. It's even good for reading tiny tiny print on warning labels!
Ha, my doctor and I were both trying to read the tiny dosage print on a med sample the other day! [emoji16] I wonder if they have portable versions.

Ha, my doctor and I were both trying to read the tiny dosage print on a med sample the other day! [emoji16] I wonder if they have portable versions.

There are small magnifiers with a built in light. I have one.

But, there is a workaround if you forgot your small magnifier. Take a picture with your phone and then zoom in on the picture. I haven't had the need to do that yet, but I'm keeping it in mind.

There are small magnifiers with a built in light. I have one.

But, there is a workaround if you forgot your small magnifier. Take a picture with your phone and then zoom in on the picture. I haven't had the need to do that yet, but I'm keeping it in mind.
You're right! I've actually done that with my smartphone. When I need service on an appliance, the service company needs the model number. I've taken pictures of those, since they're usually very small *and* in an awkward place.

That cell phone camera comes in handy when you want to check the price of a grocery item on the top shelf. Snap a picture of the tag you can't see and *voila*, you can get the price.

I promised pictures. There's over $200 worth of flies there, if you average out the costs to about 2.50 per fly. Some of them are worth about 1.50, while others can be purchased online for about 7.00 per fly.

Just for reference, the one in my hand is a size 10 hook. A size 22 is very small, while the largest streamers in the box, and the crayfish are tied on size 2 hooks.

I have 4 other fly boxes completely filled, and given to my son. This box is for my DIL.

Attachments

• 20220305_222559.jpg
    20220305_222559.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220305_222613.jpg
    20220305_222613.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220305_222634.jpg
    20220305_222634.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220305_222622.jpg
    20220305_222622.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220305_222640.jpg
    20220305_222640.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220305_222648.jpg
    20220305_222648.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220305_222831.jpg
    20220305_222831.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220305_222905.jpg
    20220305_222905.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220305_222913.jpg
    20220305_222913.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 27
I just started the fourth novel in my Immune Response Science Fiction Series. I haven't written in a while. It's a lot of work Five pages takes three hours when you have to create dialog, expanded story line, and stay true to the previous work for continuity.

Just finished two new coptic binding books for an artist friend with her paintings printed and adhered to the covers.
bookspaintgardenlettuceasparagus-009.jpg
bookspaintgardenlettuceasparagus-007.jpg

bookspaintgardenlettuceasparagus-006.jpg

I create websites for fun.
2weeksinsrilanka.com and foodquizzer.com are two examples. Foodquizzer is an idea I got from here. The sites are still not really active. I add some content when I have time, maybe once every 3 months or so. lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom