What flowers to grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I'm loooking to maybe plant some flowers soon and one of my goals would be to be able to pick some of them to put on my table inside. It cost a bundle sometimes to buy some flowers to put on my kitchen table or counter top. It would be nice to be able to just go into my back yard and pick some say once a week for my table.

What kind of flowers are good to grow that I can pick like this? I live in New England as a fyi.

Zinnias are easy to start from seed and come in a zillion colors and shapes. Like most all flowers, they need lots of sun.

I am a southern gardener now, but I have lived in the north--lupines, daisies and delphiniums would probably work for you, peonies, lilacs and roses are nice.

Because I work for Extension, I always recommend that people with gardening questions call their local office. Google "New Hampshire extension" and add the name of your county to your search. (Because we are a state/county/university operation, we are often hard to find in the phone book!)

You can plant flower bulbs. Some are continual bloomers. The cut flowers can last up to a week or longer.

Cosmo's and baby's breath are real eye catchers. Easy to grow. I'm not a rose person. As a matter of fact 2 more to dig up and they are out of my backyard for good! ;)

Wild flowers are easy to grow. Most hardware stores usually have sales going this time of year on seeds. They're usually stocked with your zone area already. Takes the guess work out for you.

You can have a look around here. Type in your zone and see what they recommend.

Wildflower seed mixtures specially formulated for the Pacific Northwest

Munky.

I'm with sparrow on the extension call. I've gardened in Florida, Hawaii, here in Illinois, and container gardened in Virginia, and I swear by giving them a call before you get started for any hints about specifics to your region. Also find out if your community has a gardening club, and/or get to know neighbors who have something you like. I've received many starter plants/bulbs from people who were separating or buying and had to buy more than they could use. Her in NW IL I like day and Asiatic lilies for arrangements.

If you have an herb garden, don't forget marigolds and nasturtiums for pretty color and a bit of snap for salads and presentations.

I agree, zinnias and cosmos are very easy to grow and produce the first year. You will need to replant them every year. You can also get some daisy and cone flower, and black-eyes-susan plants to put in. They should come back every year and will multiply.

I love the miniature Marigolds in mixed colors. A walk around the garden with a cup of coffee, deadheading the Marigolds early in the morning....Sweet.

Hydrangeas are gorgeous and they smell so nice :) Peonies are also a good choice, but make sure you pick the ants off before bringing them in! lol.

Back
Top Bottom