"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
97guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 133
What have you been craving for?

For me, Iíve been wanting to eat a pizza, we rarely eat pizza, maybe 2 times a year so when I do get it, itís a big treat for me, last time I can remember eating one was just a little caesars pan pizza back in April or May.

__________________

97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
Slow cooked, smoked brisket, spicy bbq sauce to go with it, and pecan infused buttered corn bread.
__________________

__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Slow cooked, smoked brisket, spicy bbq sauce to go with it, and pecan infused buttered corn bread.
You can fly from NY to Texas these days. We have airports!

However, real Texas BBQ purists don't sauce their brisket. In some bbq joints, asking for sauce is worse than calling Pork Roll taylor ham.

CD
__________________
ďPeople say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.Ē Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:00 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
For me, Iíve been wanting to eat a pizza, we rarely eat pizza, maybe 2 times a year so when I do get it, itís a big treat for me, last time I can remember eating one was just a little caesars pan pizza back in April or May.
I’ve got to ask: Why is pizza such a rare occurrence in your household? Moses’ sake, it’s the perfect food! It’s perfect because pizza is 1. Not expensive, mostly, 2. Endlessly adaptable* and, 3. It’s healthy (ok, depending on how it’s made)

The definition of pizza has exponentially widened in a relatively short time. Here’s an article on the history of pizza. It’s short, with some interesting trivia and verifiable facts. Unfortunately, the typos kind of undermine its authority.

The point is, there’s no reason to ration pizza toma couple of times a year! People with medical issues? Every element of a pizza can be modified to match any health/medical issue. And once you get rid of the purist attitude that says pizza is is a specific kind of yeasted dough, topped with tomato sauce, grated Italian cheese, a narrow range of herbs and spices, and a fairly limited list of acceptable toppings, you could probably fashion a different and delicious pizza every night of the week, and never consider the phrase “Pizza? Again? Even if you’re a lactose-intolerant, diabetic vegan with high blood pressure and food allergies, there’s a pizza out there for you!
__________________
Dance like no oneís watching, sing like no oneís listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:11 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,667
Oops, back to the topic.

It may be weird, but I crave Jordan almonds. My current dentition can’t handle them.

And yes, I crave a purist’s perfect NY style pizza. Foldable, with perfect ratio of bread to sauce to cheese to toppings. I like pepperoni or mild sausage, mushrooms, black olives and anchovies.
__________________
Dance like no oneís watching, sing like no oneís listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:58 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,632
A real, authentic Philadelphia Hoagie. Not enough to buy a plane ticket, but close.

CD
__________________
ďPeople say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.Ē Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:22 AM   #7
Senior Cook
 
97guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Iíve got to ask: Why is pizza such a rare occurrence in your household?


I think itís because Iím Asian and my wife is Thai, sheís only been in the USA for 3 years and her tastes are not Americanized at all, we eat rice 3 meals a day. We live in California and I introduced her to Mexican food, we have some of the best in the country here and she absolutely hates it. Another reason is that I think pizza is a very heavy meal, once I start eating pizza I really canít stop and I always overeat, I can literally feel the added weight after a pizza meal, might be a placebo effect but Iím pretty certain Iím right. I know a lot of guys that eat pizza weekly or even bi-daily and they are not small in stature at all.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:44 AM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,278
To be able to chew... anything! I am having some reconstructive dental work to prepare for partial plates. At the moment I only have two molars that line up (total for both sides) that I can chew with. After tomorrow when I have my permanent crowns on the lower right, I will have a second set of molars I can chew with - one on each side.

I think the first thing I will crave when I can chew is a mushroom swiss burger with fries and gravy!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:59 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
I think itís because Iím Asian and my wife is Thai, sheís only been in the USA for 3 years and her tastes are not Americanized at all, we eat rice 3 meals a day. We live in California and I introduced her to Mexican food, we have some of the best in the country here and she absolutely hates it. Another reason is that I think pizza is a very heavy meal, once I start eating pizza I really canít stop and I always overeat, I can literally feel the added weight after a pizza meal, might be a placebo effect but Iím pretty certain Iím right. I know a lot of guys that eat pizza weekly or even bi-daily and they are not small in stature at all.
I hope your wife opens her mind up to more new foods. California Mexican, like Tex-Mex, is not necessarily "Mexican." She might like something like ceviche, or other real Mexican foods that are lighter and fresher tasting.

As for pizza, the original Neapolitan pizzas are lighter and healthier than "American" pizzas. Try to find an authentic Neapolitan pizza restaurant, and try a Pizza Margherita. Very simple, and healthy.

CD
__________________
ďPeople say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.Ē Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:20 AM   #10
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,885
Proper northern rye bread with white goat cheese and goat whey spread... that I miss and also lemon tart, yeah I cant eat any of this.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,193
I want to make posole verde. It's my favorite stew but it's been too hot to make it yet. With a high of 66 on Saturday, though, I think that'll be the day!
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #12
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,587
A non Keto diet dinner.
Is it too much to ask for a guilt free chili dog and root beer float?


Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
A non Keto diet dinner.
Is it too much to ask for a guilt free chili dog and root beer float?


Munky.
When it comes to stealing, there should be guilt. When it comes to eating a chili dog and drinking a root beer float every once-in-a-while, there should not be any guilt.

After all, you can stick to your diet 100-percent, lose weight, get in shape -- and get hit by a bus.

CD
__________________
ďPeople say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.Ē Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,505
I've been craving 2 things:

Spinach pies



and

Potato and cheese blintz

Served with apple sauce and sour cream

__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
Rascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Christchurch nz
Posts: 1,383
I don't really crave anything, I have a large range of seafood,beef,lamb, all sorts of small goods and frozen stuff that we like, like chicken croquettes and samosas, meat and vege. We eat pretty well here. I do lots of swaps amongst friends.

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I don't really crave anything, I have a large range of seafood,beef,lamb, all sorts of small goods and frozen stuff that we like, like chicken croquettes and samosas, meat and vege. We eat pretty well here. I do lots of swaps amongst friends.

Russ

What about a good Reuben?
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #17
Head Chef
 
phinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Surface of the Sun
Posts: 1,901
Meat. I've been craving meat. And bourbon. I've also been craving bourbon.
__________________
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I've been craving 2 things:

Spinach pies



and

Potato and cheese blintz

Served with apple sauce and sour cream

Oh my, MsM, you have my mouth watering with both your choice!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 3,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
What about a good Reuben?
I see what you did there...
Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #20
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
To be able to chew... anything! I am having some reconstructive dental work to prepare for partial plates. At the moment I only have two molars that line up (total for both sides) that I can chew with. After tomorrow when I have my permanent crowns on the lower right, I will have a second set of molars I can chew with - one on each side.

I think the first thing I will crave when I can chew is a mushroom swiss burger with fries and gravy!
Well, I got my permanent crowns in so now I have one set of molars on each side that I can chew with. I am not ready for a steak, but I have a few more choices available than before yesterday.

Right now I am craving chicken wings with buffalo blue cheese sauce (I make my own)
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×