What is generally the difference between cheaper vacuum cleaner and more expensive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
What is generally the difference between cheaper vacuum cleaner and more expensive one? Say a $50 one or one that is D**** for $500

Honestly speaking I have never used a vacuum cleaner in my life time. My parents did not use them too and said they were useless...

Recently I am experiencing serious moth problem that is very annoying and frustrating. I just have endless dust that I think I cannot clean them up by simple dusting. I really need a vacuum cleaner to help me out

What is generally the difference between cheaper vacuum cleaner and more expensive one? Say a $50 one or one that is D**** for $500

Honestly speaking I have never used a vacuum cleaner in my life time. My parents did not use them too and said they were useless...

Recently I am experiencing serious moth problem that is very annoying and frustrating. I just have endless dust that I think I cannot clean them up by simple dusting. I really need a vacuum cleaner to help me out

Google top rated vacuum cleaners.
Keep in mind though some reviews can be deceptive.

$50.00 your looking at cheap. Buying belts/bags for them can be a hassle and you'll most likely have it for a month. Replacing them can cost as much as the machine. Bulk pack.
I live with pets,a good vacuum is a must here.Bought an electrolux with hepa filters, canister. have had it for years with no issues.
The filters can be cleaned with soap and water. Except one. I use a air compressor to clean that one in particular.
Best of all no bags!;)
Munky.

The differences are generally quality of materials, accessories included, and power. Ours has a special brush for picking up pet hair, extensions and special brushes for vacuuming baseboards, ceilings, walls and inside window frames. There are other types of brushes, too.

The differences are generally quality of materials, accessories included, and power. Ours has a special brush for picking up pet hair, extensions and special brushes for vacuuming baseboards, ceilings, walls and inside window frames. There are other types of brushes, too.

Oh yeah the attachments are a must have!
Got those to.
I like the one we have. You just step on a button and it cuts the pet hair off the roller. Height adjustment is something to look for also.
Love the light for cleaning under furniture. Those dust bunnies can and will be sucked up.:cool:

One set wonders are a waste. Might as well use a broom.:ohmy::ermm::LOL:
Munky.

The differences between those kind with bags and those without are something you want to look at. The kind with bags are easier to use, as when you empty out those bagless canisters into the trash, it's messy. Not that bad, if you can do it outside, like I do, then hose everything out, but if you live in an apartment, this can be a problem. Also, try to see if there is a place you can check them out, to see how loud they are (or if you have Consumer Reports, see if they have the model, with the decipels listed - some models are so loud (and I don't mean just shop vacs) that you need hearing protection! Do you have rugs, hardwood floor, or both? For hardwood, you'll want to see if the brush can be turned off, as it can scratch the floor, if it is being rolled around with the hose being used - many of them can't be turned off, though you can raise them some. Things to think about, though the cheaper it is, the less the options.

Kenny, do you have pets? Do you have carpets?

If not, a vacuum that does not need bags etc., the type that GG mentions, with a canister you empty after each use, should be plenty good enough for you.

I actually have a couple of vacuums. One I use for carpets (dog and cat hair) and another I call an electric broom. I use the broom for the hard wood floors. It is light weight, I empty the canister after each use (I use an old toothbrush to clean the little bag of dust).

I love this little broom - it actually comes apart from the long handle and you can use it as a hand vac. It is also called a Stick Vacuum. My daughter who has no pets also has one and loves it. She got hers for about $25 - I waited too long and paid $30 for mine.

No pets- no carpets? get a stick vac - cheap, easy to grab and use, won't break your back.

If you are trying to get dust off the tops of various types of cabinets and shelving, then a vacuum with a hose is a must. I seem to remember seeing vacuums that had both a head attached to the end of the vacuum and a hose for higher up places.

Kenny, do you have pets? Do you have carpets?

If not, a vacuum that does not need bags etc., the type that GG mentions, with a canister you empty after each use, should be plenty good enough for you.

I actually have a couple of vacuums. One I use for carpets (dog and cat hair) and another I call an electric broom. I use the broom for the hard wood floors. It is light weight, I empty the canister after each use (I use an old toothbrush to clean the little bag of dust).

I love this little broom - it actually comes apart from the long handle and you can use it as a hand vac. It is also called a Stick Vacuum. My daughter who has no pets also has one and loves it. She got hers for about $25 - I waited too long and paid $30 for mine.

No pets- no carpets? get a stick vac - cheap, easy to grab and use, won't break your back.

Hello

I have no pets or carpet and will possibly never have them in the future.

I have never had a vacuum cleaner because I live in apartment but
recently experiencing serious moth problem that has been annoying
me for months. That's why I am thinking about getting a

Does handheld vacuum cleaner work as good as the one sitting on the floor?

Does the effectiveness of a vacuum cleaner only or largely depend on the
power of it?

LOL... roadfix, I don't think someone looking for an under $50 vacuum would be too interested in a house system, especially in an apartment if there was such a thing available.

Kenny, moths can come in with certain foods (such as flours, rice) I've had those ruddy things and they do/did drive me crazy. Very annoying.

Actually a hand held could probably be of help. Just so long as you empty it and dump your garbage right away.

A handheld battery's power probably affects only the length of time it can run. I doubt it affects the strength of the suction. They are going to sound a bit noisy, mine does, if it is a really wimpy sound then maybe the suction is not all that great. If you can try it in the store, just put your hand over the intake while running and see how hard it grabs onto your hand.
I would hazard a guess that even a slightly wimpy suction will be strong enough to suck up a moth. Or if it has a pointed nozzle would be great in corners.

they all suck. The more expensive they are, the better they suck. Dyson is the best sucker. You turn it on and you can feel it suck itself right into the rug. If you really want to spend some money, get a Kirby. They do EVERYTHING!

LOL... roadfix, I don't think someone looking for an under $50 vacuum would be too interested in a house system, especially in an apartment if there was such a thing available.

Kenny, moths can come in with certain foods (such as flours, rice) I've had those ruddy things and they do/did drive me crazy. Very annoying.

Actually a hand held could probably be of help. Just so long as you empty it and dump your garbage right away.

A handheld battery's power probably affects only the length of time it can run. I doubt it affects the strength of the suction. They are going to sound a bit noisy, mine does, if it is a really wimpy sound then maybe the suction is not all that great. If you can try it in the store, just put your hand over the intake while running and see how hard it grabs onto your hand.
I would hazard a guess that even a slightly wimpy suction will be strong enough to suck up a moth. Or if it has a pointed nozzle would be great in corners.

Hi could moth come from food??

In my situation the moths are almost always found in my bedroom where I would eat, but never store food. In the kitchen where I store food, I never see any moth....

Could they come from other sources?

I have been cleaning up every day now and cleaning out the dust for weeks but they are still appearing in my bedroom......

Does anybody know if a vacuum cleaner around 1500W could suck dust and dirt trapped in the slit of floor plates?

Hi could moth come from food??

In my situation the moths are almost always found in my bedroom where I would eat, but never store food. In the kitchen where I store food, I never see any moth....

Could they come from other sources?

I have been cleaning up every day now and cleaning out the dust for weeks but they are still appearing in my bedroom......

Check your closet and drawers They love your favorite sweaters :(
Moths don't like Lavender or Cedar.

We once had a moth infestation. It was only in one room. My son had a bird. The moths liked birdseed. I know you don't have pets.
Back then I was running a zoo! Cockatiel, Guinea pigs, dogs and a cranky little crab that liked to climb out of the aquarium. That party ended when the dog ate it. LOL!!!!:ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:
I make up Lavender satchels and keep them in the closet and dresser drawers.Also sprinkle the lavender seeds around the corner floorboards.
My nice replaced cashmere sweaters are in airtight zippered plastic bags.
Ended that problem.
Except my sons are still living at home. Working on that solution...
Stop feeding them? :blink:

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-moths#removal

Check your closet and drawers They love your favorite sweaters :(
Moths don't like Lavender or Cedar.

We once had a moth infestation. It was only in one room. My son had a bird. The moths liked birdseed. I know you don't have pets.
Back then I was running a zoo! Cockatiel, Guinea pigs, dogs and a cranky little crab that liked to climb out of the aquarium. That party ended when the dog ate it. LOL!!!!:ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:
I make up Lavender satchels and keep them in the closet and dresser drawers.Also sprinkle the lavender seeds around the corner floorboards.
My nice replaced cashmere sweaters are in airtight zippered plastic bags.
Ended that problem.
Except my sons are still living at home. Working on that solution...
Stop feeding them? :blink:

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-moths#removal

Hello....

I may probably have the same case as yours... Only one bedroom I can find moth here, and the problem is serious. They "hang" themselves on the wooden furniture. But this room never stores any clothing. I have been
fighting them for weeks but they never seem to go away.

I don't have or use a vacuum cleaner. Is it high time to get one? Is a vacuum cleaner useful? When I was a kid my parents always said to me that vacuum cleaner is not useful... they like to clean with damp cloth....

I felt like dying after cleaning with cloth for an hour

Kenny, not being nosy, but just exactly where are you?

far east is not very helpful for us to try and help you find a solution. Depending on where you are could change our answers.

Munky, have you hung garlic around your sons' necks? LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom