What is most unusual in your Kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Morning,

Which statue, or decorative item or fixture is most unusual in your kitchen that friends, visitors and family always comment on ?

*** I have a Caganer ( www.caganer.com ) which is an artisanal figurine which originated in Catalonia, in northeast Spain. The statue was given to us as a Christmas gift, by a well known Chef who is also a long standing client of mine.

These figurines, imitate political leaders, actors, male and female and animal species. They depict, a someone or a creature with their underwear pulled down -- doing their toilet business discreetly. They are meant to bring luck to the owner ... and they are commonly placed near logs or Christmas trees in Catalan homes.

It is quite a conversational piece ... It is on my lamp table by my handcrafted wooden sofa bench ( near wood ) ... he is quite funny !

Happy Holidays,
Margi.

Last edited:
Nothing really unusual in my current kitchen, but in previous kitchens I had a big sign that I got from work. We sold this type of "California Goldminer Sourdough Bread" and when the sign was taken down and going to be thrown away, I snatched it, looked pretty cool in my kitchen. I still have the sign, but nowhere to actually put it in this house.

I also had "french style" patio doors in my apartment. I made an awning to go over the doors (inside), I made the small breakfast/dining area, look like a cafe.

Decor? Not so much there but I do have some cooking tools(?) that get comments.

On top of our refrigerator I have two standard clay house bricks that are each wrapped in heavy-duty aluminum foil. They came from my old house and I use them to cook "things under a brick."

Also, in my utensil crock on the counter between the stove and sink there are a couple plastic/nylon paint scrapers. They're used to safely scrape bits from my Teflon pans when I wash them.

Another somewhat strange thing is a clear glass clown-shaped bottle, about 6 inches tall, with a red plastic hat, which is the cap. In it is a clear green liquid. That liquid is "magic formula.'

All it is is water with a wee bit of sugar, just to make it slightly sweet. Whenever a youngster, usually a grandchild, has a boo-boo or is hurt in some way, they get a spoonful of "magic formula" to make them feel better. It's amazing how well it works. All it really does is distract the child for a moment, which allows them to forget just how seriously they've been injured.

I've had this little clown bottle since my children were toddlers. They're now in their 40's. It's surprising how many hurts good old "magic formula" has cured.

@ Bake Chef,

I truly like the Bistro Café idea for a kitchen ... of course, this depends on the amount of room and perimetres, view, lifestyle etcetra ...

However, sounds wonderful ...

Thanks for posting.
Buona Pasquas. Feliz Pascuas.
Happy Holidays.
Margi.

We have a Gaggia automatic espresso machine that takes up a big chunk of real estate on the counter. Everyone always asks what it is. :)

215340e.jpg

There is no decor in my kitchen. The only thing I can remember people commenting about is the fact that there are two refrigerators. They are too polite to comment on anything else. :LOL:

My kitchen is filled with clutter of all kinds. It is very small and seems smaller still because it has floor to ceiling shelves filled with dishes and antique cooking items. First people comment on the collection of Portmeirion china or the collection of antique tins. Then as they look around they notice the cast iron pig made by a local foundry at the turn of the century or the biscuit cutter with an egg shaped handle from the Egg Baking Powder Co., or a hundred other such things. The brave ones comment on the cast iron trivet with a swastika in the center. The trivet has nothing to do with Nazis, it predates all of those troubles and is a symbol of family unity and prosperity. Sometimes I wonder what will become of all my precious junk!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good Evening from Gargano,

Firstly, it is always enjoyable to read everybody´s anecdotes and comments ...

Aunt Bea: " what is one´s junk, is one´s treasure, and what is one´s treasure, is one´s junk " ... The cast iron Piglet, sounds wonderful !

Tax Lady: 2 Refrigerators !! I have never seen this in my life ...
Are you telling us the truth ? Why 2 frigerators ?? Well, now, I do know that some people who own 1 family houses, have an extra frig in their basements for guests --- and extra food ... for storage ...

Steve: Wow, that is a small espresso / coffee maker ... Perhaps, it is time, to charge taxes for that counter space ... Is there any space is the question ! Gorgeous machine however ... How is the Espresso ?

Kindest.
Margi.

Last edited:
Steve: Wow, that is a small espresso / coffee maker ... Perhaps, it is time, to charge taxes for that counter space ... Is there any space is the question ! Gorgeous machine however ... How is the Espresso ?
Margi, the espresso is fabulous, thank you! I bought it used almost 10 years ago. We take good care of it and it's held up very well, but I sometimes worry about being able to find parts should it need repair. Gaggia no longer makes this model, though I still see them selling on eBay from time to time.

Over the years, I've learned to make almost any Italian style coffee drink. The only problem is that guests will sometimes ask if we have any "regular coffee." I try to explain to them that at our house espresso is regular coffee. If they still complain, I hand them a jar of instant coffee, and let them make their own. ;)

What's unusual in my kitchen is the lack of 90-degree corners to any counters with cabinets underneath. My DH designed and built this kitchen (only took him 8 years, start to finish....).

Here's an example: this counter, for the doorway heading into the dining room, had to be angled, which necessitated an angled cabinet beneath. This one has two strangely-angled pull-out shelves, one for the food processor, one for the mixer.

slideoutshelf.JPG

Last edited:
Yup, really, two refrigerators. We each had one when I moved in and I like having the extra space for food, especially since I live in the suburbs and stores are not around the corner.

Margi, the espresso is fabulous, thank you! I bought it used almost 10 years ago. We take good care of it and it's held up very well, but I sometimes worry about being able to find parts should it need repair. Gaggia no longer makes this model, though I still see them selling on eBay from time to time.

Over the years, I've learned to make almost any Italian style coffee drink. The only problem is that guests will sometimes ask if we have any "regular coffee." I try to explain to them that at our house espresso is regular coffee. If they still complain, I hand them a jar of instant coffee, and let them make their own. ;)

Give the guest a lungo, it's easy enough to add some hot water to an espresso. It will be more like regular coffee. I drink lungos all the time, because I find I can taste subtle flavours in the coffee that way. Espresso courto is so intense I miss the subtle stuff.

I picked up this terra cotta cooker from Italy that is supposed to contain volcanic ash. It is a bugger to clean, so I only used it once. It looks cool hanging form the range hood...

Attachments

• 9256_1_ac7556.jpg
    9256_1_ac7556.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 156
Nothing fancy, but I guess it would be the Swedish Love Knot on the kitchen wall. It has a little card that says, "According to tradition, if you hang a Swedish Love Knot in your home your family will have good health and happiness throughout the years!" I can't even remember who gave it to us (a wedding gift, I think), but since my grandparents were from Sweden, I especially love it.

I've done that. Most coffee shops in this area sell those as Caffè Americano, or just plain Americano. Basically, as you say, a lungo with hot water added.

I don't know what the exact difference is between a lungo or allongé and an Americano, but if I'm in a coffee shop the lungo or allongé always taste better than the Americano. :LOL:

I don't know what the exact difference is between a lungo or allongé and an Americano, but if I'm in a coffee shop the lungo or allongé always taste better than the Americano. :LOL:
I know what you mean. Americanos (Americani?) in coffee shops always taste bitter or burnt to me. I've read that it stems from using water from the boiler of the espresso machine. Not the way I would make it at home.

Last visitor in my kitchen commented on how to "clean" my Debuyer pans so they would shine like new...they hang above the sink. I had to explain how they were seasoned just right for cooking and that they were used regularly, not for show.

Back
Top Bottom