What is this noise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
For the past couple of days, I hear what sounds like a plastic bottle/jar exploding. I had some 4 l jars I hadn't washed...thought that was it. Well, the jars are washed, lids are off, and I heard this sound again today. Any ideas what I should look for now as the culprit? I do have a propane furnace, but it is off since I've been doing my "let's see if I can heat with only wood this year" trial (and it has been a trial). Could the propane furnace be the source? Plumbing (water in the line/expansion?) This happens usually around 5-6 p.m. and it is just one "sorta" bang (it sounds the same as when I toss--don't hate me--a plastic bottle in the woodstove as fire starter). Any ideas what could be causing this?

For the past couple of days, I hear what sounds like a plastic bottle/jar exploding. I had some 4 l jars I hadn't washed...thought that was it. Well, the jars are washed, lids are off, and I heard this sound again today. Any ideas what I should look for now as the culprit? I do have a propane furnace, but it is off since I've been doing my "let's see if I can heat with only wood this year" trial (and it has been a trial). Could the propane furnace be the source? Plumbing (water in the line/expansion?) This happens usually around 5-6 p.m. and it is just one "sorta" bang (it sounds the same as when I toss--don't hate me--a plastic bottle in the woodstove as fire starter). Any ideas what could be causing this?
Does it sound like water hammer? You know, that sound the pipes make when there is air in them.

I would check the hot water heater myself. If it's old it could be on its last legs. Our last one was making some very strange popping and banging noises before we replaced it.

I get loud popping/banging noise coming from my refrigerator - usually at night. Don't know the cause, but it operates fine.

I get loud popping/banging noise coming from my refrigerator - usually at night. Don't know the cause, but it operates fine.

This gets my vote as well. Most freezers have an auto defrost cycle that runs daily. You could have some ice formed or maybe it's the defrosted drips hitting the drain pan or something else related to that process.

This gets my vote as well. Most freezers have an auto defrost cycle that runs daily. You could have some ice formed or maybe it's the defrosted drips hitting the drain pan or something else related to that process.
That could be my little freezer. The hot water tank is on a timer and not "on" when I hear the noise AND the noise originates in the area where the little freezer is. I've almost emptied it and can finish doing that tonight. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom