What is your favorite mustard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
andy, if you get the chance (gourmet stores have samples available often), try the maine maple champagne mustard that i've mentioned, on a grilled chicken breast. it's more like a dipping sauce than just a straight mustard.

katluvscake said:
You know I am going to jump on the honey mustard loving train even though I think that honey mustard is mostly mayo.

What kind of honey mustard are you buying that contains mayonnaise? :ohmy: Honey mustard dressings (like for salads and dips) will contain mayo, but regular honey mustard should not.

I don't know if yellow mustard should be allowed to be called mustard, it's... it's... well it is anything but mustard.

Big Dog, go to Lunds and look for Collemans, it is made in England. That is real mustard. If you like it hot, you'll love that mustard.

I, guess, that tells you what mustard I like.

You're right, CharlieD. Coleman's English mustard (best powder but they also make a smooth mustard sauce too) is so versatile - you can use it in salad dressings, as a 'crust' for lamb or beef. Hot and flavoursome. It's now a huge conglomerate but was started by a Mr Coleman who used to boast that 'it's the mustard left on the plate that makes my fortune' or words to that effect!!

Ishbel said:
...who used to boast that 'it's the mustard left on the plate that makes my fortune' or words to that effect!!

Interesting how stories change over time to the point where you can't be sure what to believe.

I learned the it was Mr. French who said, "I don't get rich from the mustard people eat, I get rich from what they leave on their plates."

Regardless of which version is correct, the sentiment is valid.

Until recently, French's mustard was hardly available in the UK - so I suspect that either Mr French stole the idea off Mr Coleman or they both used the same PR company :cool:

I have since found out that a reason that French's mustard is more commonly available here in the UK is probably because French's is one of thebrands owned by the British company Reckitt Benckiser.

Last edited:
CharlieD said:
Big Dog, go to Lunds and look for Collemans, it is made in England. That is real mustard.

You can get both the powdered and creamy kind of Coleman's at Cost Plus World Market.

GB said:
I love all types except for the neon yellow kind.
I totally agree~!

I love mustards that have other goodies inside, like the cranberry mustard I use for pork roasts, the hot spicy mustard I like to use on chicken when grilling and the sweet honey mustard I use in salad dressings.
Horseradish mustard is a great way to kick up your deviled eggs!

My favorite Mustards are BEAVER Cranberry Mustard which I always put on Turkey, and Private Selection Raspberry Honey Mustard. I also like the packets of Onion Sauce from BK ... Well ok it's Cheese and Horseradish, but it makes me think of Mustard.
I love Grey Poupon too, and sometimes carry a container of Grey Poupon Dejon mustard into a fast food resterant, and ask "Do you have any Grey Poupon ?" When they tell me no I say, "That's all right I brought my own." ;^{)

I found a new favorite!!! Madison Street Mustard. Great balance and they have little thingies that pop when chewed. Soooooooo GOOD!!!
1.gif

It's got to be good old Colemans English mustard. The kind that takes the top of your head off.

Ive only ever tried Colmans mustard, im quite happy with it so i havent found the need to experiment with other mustards

:) I love mustard.My aunt in Germany says if you add a bit of mustard to your cucumber salad you wont get heartburn.It is a natural anti inflamatory as is pineapple so next time you pull a muscle have some but not together[unless you want to:ROFLMAO: }

:) Dont have the amounts and still cant recreate what my aunt made it was so good.Anyway here are the ingredients sliced onions soaked in some kind of German Herb vinegar a few minutes,a pinch of sugar,a little squirt of mustard, salt and pepper then she would add some milk and then sliced cucumbers.I think she may have used some Knorr Aromat seasoning as well.
She made salad some what the same way so simple but so good

I have 3 kinds of German Vinegars I think she may have used Hengstenberg which is seasoned with fine herbs.
I also have Kuhne Salata which also has herbal extracts
and Henstenberg Altmeister also seasond but with what I dont know with what.
I wish the heck I had paid more attention cause I loved, loved,loved that salad could eat it all day.
If any one knows the exact recipe please help.

Back
Top Bottom