What is your favorite thing to read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
There seems to be quite a few readers on the forum and I'm wondering, what is your favorite thing to read? Is there a book that you go back to every so often or that you always think of fondly? Is there an author or magazine that never seems to let you down? Do you devour text books like brain candy?

For me, I find myself reading several short stories over and over. Anytime I want something quick to read to remind me of how great writing can be I turn to theses. Most of them are found in the Hugo Awards Volumes I and II which is edited my Isaac Asimov. The other I encountered in a "Years Best" compilation.

Stories and their authors:

Repent Harlequin Said the Tick Tock Man by Harlen Ellison
Breathmoss by Ian McLeod
No Truce with Kings by Poul Anderson
Weir Search by Anne McCaffrey

I also really like an illustrated version of the Norwegian folk tale "East o' the Sun West o' the Moon" done by Naomi Lewis (Author), P.J. Lynch (Illustrator) and George Webber Dasent (Translater). Not only is it a beautiful story but the illustrations are gorgeous! The story is very similar to that of Cupid and Psyche from Greek mythology.

And, of course, being the nerd that I am I've been a fan of The Lord of the Rings since grade school. I really need to go back and read them again. It's been a while.

Well, PAG, now that you mention it, any of Anne McCaffrey's Pern books.

I moved a couple of years ago, so I'm gradually replacing the books. I've replaced my Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein as well as a handful of his other books.

For me, my favorites that I always go back to are:

The World of Pern by Anne and now Todd McCaffrey
The Freedom Series by Anne McCaffrey
The Talent Series (The Rowan, Damia, etc.) by Anne McCaffrey
The Valdemar Series by Mercedes Lackey
The Belgariad & Mallorean Series by David Eddings
Anything by Jack McDevitt

My sister got me a Kindle a couple of years ago, on the promise that I would use it (she took back her 2 gig ipod that I was using as a paper weight:rolleyes: since I didn't know how to use the thing), and I currently have all of the Pern books (with the exception of the Harper Hall Trilogy - still waiting on that to kick over to the Kindle), all of the Valdemar Series books, and most of Jack McDevitt's books loaded on it now. My other books are starting to get raggedy from all the times I've read them. I just can't give them up, to me they are good friends that I like to revisit time and time again.

I read a lot. I average two books a week, every week, and have done so for about 50 years.

Of course, the books that have drawn my interest have increased in depth between 9 and 58 years old, but I have a few favorite authors or editions.

My sister gave me a subscription to "Smithsonian Magazine" about 5 years ago and I read it cover to cover every month. It's the absolute best magazine I've ever read. Wonderful articles and photos!

Pern, Narnia, Middle Earth.

Ellison, Dick, Heinlein...most anything Science Fiction.

Medical novels, Mysteries, Thrillers, Horror, Vampires (NOT Twilight)

Manga...cereal boxes...

Reading the "Coyote" series, by; Allen M. Steele, right now. Four books so far and probably more coming.

It's about another planet that we settle after ruining earth. Darn good read!

They name the new planet; "Coyote".

1. Coyote
2. Coyote Rising
3. Coyote Frontier
4. Coyote Horizon

i read on average six books every three weeks, since i found books by mail . it is a service provided by the county library. my favorite genre are crime stories. real ones and not. i don't like science fiction. i don't like romance novels. well except books by j.d. robb. and they are a bit of both. i only re read when i am out of things that are new. don't let that happen to often.
i just finished My Dark Places by james ellory. it is a true store of the murder of his mother and his search both for her killer and who she was. he was ten when the murder occurred. he has written five or so books. may get one next time i order.

I really liked Stranger in a Strange Land. The only other books by Heinlen that I've read are Friday and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I really liked both of those too.

I love The Harper Hall trilogy. I got stalled on the Pern series after a close friend of mine passed away. He'd let me borrow his collection and I'd just finished reading the third book in the series when he died. I still have them; his family didn't want them back. I should probably try reading them again. He'd be p***ed at me if he knew I was just letting them sit there and collect dust.

One of my favorites that I forgot to mention is Nemesis by Isaac Asimov. Great story!

I really liked Stranger in a Strange Land. The only other books by Heinlen that I've read are Friday and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I really liked both of those too.

I love The Harper Hall trilogy. I got stalled on the Pern series after a close friend of mine passed away. He'd let me borrow his collection and I'd just finished reading the third book in the series when he died. I still have them; his family didn't want them back. I should probably try reading them again. He'd be p***ed at me if he knew I was just letting them sit there and collect dust.

One of my favorites that I forgot to mention is Nemesis by Isaac Asimov. Great story!

The other good Heinlein to read is, "Time Enough For Love," I am a huge Heinlein fan and have read everything he wrote and I had the honor of being friends with his late wife.

Pern, you need to finish at least the Anne McCaffrey stories, i haven't read her son's stories...

I love the urban fantasy books by Charles de Lint, Jim Butcher, and Patricia Briggs.
"The Deed of Paksennarrion" is a really good fantasy book by Elizabeth Moon.
Occasionally I'll read something like "Armor" or "Starship Troopers" and similar military science fiction books.

danbuter said:
I love the urban fantasy books by Charles de Lint, Jim Butcher, and Patricia Briggs.
"The Deed of Paksennarrion" is a really good fantasy book by Elizabeth Moon.
Occasionally I'll read something like "Armor" or "Starship Troopers" and similar military science fiction books.

Thank you for posting! I'd forgotten about Charles de Lint, which is really sad since I loved the three books by him that I've read. I should see if I can find more of his books.

I have almost every book de Lint has written. I have yet to be disappointed. I highly recommend his latest book, "Promises to Keep". It's actually set before almost all of his other books, and provides a great entry point to his Newford setting.

I, too, am a huge reader, 3 or more a week, so thank Heaven for Libraries! I seldom re-read, and read most types of books, romance excepted (just way too predictable). Magazines have been letting me down lately. But my vice is murder mysteries. Love them. Especially McCall Smith's, but really, there are few authors of crime fiction I don't like. I also love memoirs of not-famous people who lived through interesting times and situations.

I can't believe I forgot deLint and Butcher. Patricia Briggs is really nice, have met her at a couple of Cons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom