What Keeps Away Flys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Keeps Flys Away?

• Citronella candles!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smoke!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • The Army!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Taking a Shower!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Fly Swater!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I drink a lot and I dont notice them!

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My sister SWEARS by hanging a few water filled plastic bottles around her porch works. I haven't tried it, but, several other people have told me the same thing.

texasgirl said:
My sister SWEARS by hanging a few water filled plastic bottles around her porch works. I haven't tried it, but, several other people have told me the same thing.

???? never heard this before...the flies go into the bottles for the water then drown???

Or maybe they go to the water and see their reflections and die laughing :ROFLMAO:.

Every time I am bugged by a pesky fly and I grab a fly swatter, the stupid thing hides until I put it down!

:) Barbara

I love the jedi mind trick you do with flies at night.
Turn off all the lights, then turn on the one light near the front door. They'll follow you. Then, open the door, turn on the outside light, and turn off the inside light. They'll fly outside.
"Go to the light, Carol Ann!" Oh, I guess that's poltergeist.

Not sure about the water bottle, just know that she swears by it, and there are never any flies around her porch.

Water in ziplock bags hung at the door works. We use them on the bbq trailer.

:ermm: SC, I HATE those deer flies. Mosquitoes don't really bother me but those darn deer flies find me and BITE! You're right, they bite through clothes! No matter what repellent I use, they still bite me. They are the worst around here in September so I don't get in the woods much then. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them...

Hubby loves to fish...and I love to read so we go out in the woods and I sit and read while he fly fishes the little streams up in the hills. Those flies found me on one of our September trips and they literally drove me to tears. I was swatting at them with a magazine (it was almost a giant flyswatter!), doing everything I could think of. If I moved around, they followed me. It could have been a horror movie...I was soooo happy to see hubby and get out of there!

What we have been told about the bags of water is: The reflection the fly sees of himself is so much LARGER, and he thinks it's another fly. The fly is scared off by the bigger fly.

Interesting! I know that when we went down to San Diego several years ago (well, about 22 years) for our friend's 100th birthday party, everyone in this one neighborhood had a plastic jug or glass jar of water in the middle of their yards. We asked someone about it, and they said it is supposed to keep people's dogs out of the yard. They said it works.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom