What kind of bedspread is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constance said:
I'm sure you're talking about chenille. I love it...it's so soft and comforting.
Chenille can be very lightweight, or quite heavy. I have a robe and a jacket that are both very thick and heavy.
Sizzlin, my daughter had an old, worn out ivory robe that she threw out for the dogs to sleep on. Jamie was expecting at the time, and when her landlady retrieved the robe and asked if she might have it, J had no idea what she had in mind.
When the baby came, the landlady came to visit, and brought the baby a teddy bear she had made from his mommy's robe. It was adorable.

So glad to hear the landlady made such a wonderful gift out of it. Its really amazing what can be made into a teddy bear though...........I know of thing such as a grandfathers favorit flannel shirt, memorable sweaters, etc.... If only I had such a gift to create such things.

VeraBlue said:
chenille??
True chenille is a rather fuzzy and warm material. It certainly may be what texasgirl is talking about, but if she is referring instead to what is known as the Martha Washington type bedspread, the material is not chenille:

[FONT=arial, helvetica] If you find a vintage king size bedspread on one of the auctions, it is probably not technically chenille, but rather the Martha Washington type of fabric which continued to be produced until the end of the last century. Check carefully, as it is often confused with chenille but does not exhibit the characteristic fuzziness associated with true chenille.[/FONT]

woven chenille bedspreads

I thought that you may want to know that these bedspreads are also referred to as "candlewick" bedspreads. The reason ... years ago, the "bumps" on the spreads were the length of a candle wick.

Bates Fabrics used to make these bedspreads as described here. When the company closed, some of the employees started another company called Maine Heritage Weavers. They still make these wonderful bedspreads.

If you contact them, they also will sell pound pieces for those of you with the wonderful gift of sewing skills (which I lack). That way, you could make curtains and pillows (allow they sell those too) to match your bedspread.

The website is www.maineheritageweavers.com.

If anyone has other questions, feel free to email me!

Maine Heritage Weavers makes a "Martha's Choice" bedspread which is chenille. Loops and fuzziness ... woven the same way for almost a century.

lisa@batesmillstore.com said:
Maine Heritage Weavers makes a "Martha's Choice" bedspread which is chenille. Loops and fuzziness ... woven the same way for almost a century.
Thanks so much for the link to Maine Heritage Weavers. The Martha's Choice bedspread is just what I imagined texasgirl was referring to in her opening post. It's good to know that they are still available somewhere, and I have bookmarked the site. :)

But I did double-check with the company and asked them specifically for the fabric content and whether it was chenille. They replied that it is 100 percent cotton and that it is NOT chenille, as I suspected just from looking at the picture of the spread on their site. A Martha Washington bedspread is medium weight and does not have the characteristic fuzzy warmth of chenille.

suzyQ3, thanks for checking this out and setting me straight! I am sorry I misunderstood. I have learned something new (and old). My intention was not to mislead anyone and if anyone wants to know exactly what the Martha bedspread fabric, consists of, I would be more than happy to send them swatches.

Thanks again,
Lisa

lisa@batesmillstore.com said:
suzyQ3, thanks for checking this out and setting me straight! I am sorry I misunderstood. I have learned something new (and old). My intention was not to mislead anyone and if anyone wants to know exactly what the Martha bedspread fabric, consists of, I would be more than happy to send them swatches.

Thanks again,
Lisa
No problem whatsoever, Lisa. I really appreciated the link. I just happen to be very fond of that style of bedspread and was quite sure, even before verification from the company, that it was not a chenille material.

By the way, I do have a chenille throw, so I could definitely compare the two.

Again, thanks so much.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the bedspreads shown in all the links look like what I call matelasse. I think it's a kind of weave. rather than what it's made of.

texasgirl said:
This is going to sound strange to some, but, the bedspreads of old were heavy and really warm, but thin. They were not comforters or normal spreads. They had like looped material with patterns. Anyone know what they are called? I want one and can't find them anywhere. If I knew what they were made of or if they have a name, I might be able to.

Yes, texasgirl, I know what you are looking for. I grew up with these bedspreads. They came in many colors and the designs/patterns that the chenille made were soft, fuzzy and fat (about the thickness of my little finger).

You might try vintage stores, thrift stores, auctions, estate sales and the like to find what you are looking for.

Best of luck in your quest.

mudbug said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but the bedspreads shown in all the links look like what I call matelasse. I think it's a kind of weave. rather than what it's made of.
If you're looking at the Maine Heritage site, two of the styles listed (Queen Elizabeth and Abigail) are noted as having a [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]matelasse (cushioned or padded) weave. The Martha spread is actually very flat but with loops in a pattern. [/FONT][/FONT]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom