What kind of bird is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
What kind of bird is it?

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 210
Ring necked dove. :)
They are abundant here, and a pair are now building a nest in one of my trees.

Last edited:
We have doves out here in the MA frontier, too. Mourning doves. I have yet to see one cry, so I don't know why they're considered "mourning".

I know, I know, it's because of the sound of their call. :-p

They're called mourning doves because their cry is quite mournful, almost sad. We have several "couples" who, every spring, nest in the fruit trees next to our front porch. I enjoy their call, but am occasionally saddened by it. You know what I mean, then, Cooking Goddess. Hard to describe.

They're called mourning doves because their cry is quite mournful, almost sad...
Guess you couldn't read my fine print, Katie. ;) We actually have had up to 9-10 mourning doves in our back yard at a time. They do some "calls", but most times they are so busy picking seed from the ground they are quiet.

I have to admit, they are so much prettier to look at than the city pigeons that were so prevalent in our yards back in OH.

I also rather like the fact that right next to where it says "what bird is it?" I can tweet it!

Although being a dove I assume it coos more than it tweets..

What kind of bird is it?
It's a collared dove. I have a pair in my garden every spring. They were on the drive when I came home this evening.

They've only nested in Britain since the 1950s and are a fairly recent arrival in the US!

Last edited:
It's a collared dove. I have a pair in my garden every spring. They were on the drive when I came home this evening.

They've only nested in Britain since the 1950s and are a fairly recent arrival in the US!

Ring-necked doves are commonly a uniform, pale grey, which seems to be what Charlie photographed. Collared doves are darker and a bit larger. They both display the same sort of dark slash on the back of their necks.

I was in Miami. Not sure if I ever seen them in MN. But it's true they are very pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom