What to do with 100 lbs of taters??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farmer Jon

Sous Chef
My dad has a friend with a trucking company. One of his trucks had an accident with a load of potatoes on. I ended up with 100 lbs. Ive had them in my back room in the basement for a couple of months now. they are starting to grow. In need to do something pretty quick. I just blanched and froze 30 lbs. I don't want to can them. Any other ideas?

Hi Jon, nice to see you again. To bad you kept those spuds too long. Plain potatoes don't freeze well so if you don't want to can them I'd give away what you can't use.
Before long, they'll be ready for the compost pile.

Wow, that's a lot of potatoes.
If you have a bunch of large square/rectangular dehydrators you could blanch slices and dry them, or blanch and shred them and dry or freeze them.

It's getting to the time of year very soon to plant potatoes, so you could take some of them that are growing and plant them in ruts, then hill the dirt up around them. You really are a farmer, yes? You could package the growing one's in 5 lb containers for smaller gardeners to buy them for seed?

Nice to see ya!

If you knock the sprouts off of them they will last a little longer.

I agree with blissful, share them with your friends and neighbors, you will get more than a hundred pounds of potatoes in return!

Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days. :innocent:

Last edited:
Nice to see ya!

If you knock the sprouts off of them they will last a little longer.

I agree with blissful, share them with your friends and neighbors, you will get more than a hundred pounds of potatoes in return!

Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days. :innocent:

I know you shouldn't, but I store mine in my less moisture crisper drawer in the fridge. In the winter, due to age, I keep my apartment quite warm. There is no cool place. I keep an eye on them and should I see any sprouting, I immediately knock the sprouts off and it does stave off going soft.

But 100 lbs? I would make new friends real quick and make my neighbors very happy.

I plan of planting a bunch of them.

I didn't know if I had to blanch them before dehydrating them. I was thinking about trying to dehydrate to make instant potatoes.

Some of you may remember that my son has many food allergies. He can eat taters and he loves them. We buy instant just for him. He will want a snack and grab a potato. Instant is faster. 2 year olds are not known for patience.

I know the stink of Rotten potatoes very well. In my trucking days I hauled a load that had gone bad at a warehouse. My trailer stunk for weeks.

Thanks everyone. I will try not to be gone so long next time.

I plan of planting a bunch of them.

I didn't know if I had to blanch them before dehydrating them. I was thinking about trying to dehydrate to make instant potatoes.

Some of you may remember that my son has many food allergies. He can eat taters and he loves them. We buy instant just for him. He will want a snack and grab a potato. Instant is faster. 2 year olds are not known for patience.

I know the stink of Rotten potatoes very well. In my trucking days I hauled a load that had gone bad at a warehouse. My trailer stunk for weeks.

Thanks everyone. I will try not to be gone so long next time.

Yes Jon. We have missed you. I realize that planting time is coming. And in the Fall it is time for harvest. But somewhere in between please do drop in and let us know how you are doing. We really missed you. :angel:

Do you like potato gnocchi? How about kartoffelklosse (German potato dumplings about the size of a baseball) or rellenos de papa (latino stuffed potato dumplings)? Once any of these are cooked they freeze well.

Do you like potato gnocchi? How about kartoffelklosse (German potato dumplings about the size of a baseball) or rellenos de papa (latino stuffed potato dumplings)? Once any of these are cooked they freeze well.

My Mother used to make German potato dumplings. They were always my favorite if she made a pork loin roast with gravy and sauerkraut with it.

They never had the chance to meet the freezer :pig:

What is the most popular frozen potato product? Pommes Frites!

If you don't already have one, go buy yourself a french fry cutter and start squeezing potatoes through it, bagging them up and freezing them.

My Mother used to make German potato dumplings. They were always my favorite if she made a pork loin roast with gravy and sauerkraut with it.

They never had the chance to meet the freezer :pig:

Yeah, but the OP has 100# of potatoes!:ermm:

My grandmother's were stuffed with an herb bread cube mix with onions, celery and poultry seasoning. The onions and celery were finely chopped and sauteed in butter, seasoned with the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. The bread cubes were added and mixed with the veg. If they weren't moist enough more butter was added until they were. These were always served with sauerbraten and extra dumplings were made for breakfast the next day. The extras were put in the fridge overnight, sliced 1/2" thick and fried, you guessed it, in butter. Perfect with eggs and sausage or bacon.:yum:

Boil all the potatoes, cube when cooled and place in a 55 gallon bowl along with 5 gallons of mayo, 1 gallon of mustard, lots and lots of chopped onions and celery...you'd have enough for the entire town:LOL:

Seriously, I like the soup kitchen idea.

The soup kitchen got a crap ton already. My brothers and my sister and I split up what was left. I do believe we are going to try some potato dumplings and sauerkraut.

The wife is making a big potato salad for this weekend. Along with beef stew in a dutch oven over the fire. A bunch of us crazy Nebraskans are going camping over Easter weekend.

I just thought of something. Has anyone ever had potato candy? My wife is from Kentucky. My mother in law makes the best tater candy. It don't sound very good but its to die for.

Just saw how to make hash browns for the freezer. Bake the potatoes until they are 75 to 80% done. Refrigerate overnight. Then grate them. Spread onto baking sheets and freeze for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Pack into freezer bags.

Back
Top Bottom