What was the first book series you ever read and how old were you when you read it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
I was in 4th grade, so I was about 9 or 10 years old when I read the "Freddy the Pig" series.

It was a series much like "Animal Farm", in that all the animals could talk. Freddy was the youngest and smartest of all the pigs on the Bean Farm in upstate New York. I loved that series and read every book. The animals get into all kinds of delightful adventures and talk freely with the humans who are involved with the stories.

I would suggest this series to anyone who has children of about 10 years old who like to read.

The first series I read was the Mouse and the Motorcycle series by Beverly Cleary. I was 10ish. Those books were awesome.

I havent thought about those books in a long time. Im gonna have to see if I still have em.

Last edited:
I'm sure I read books that were designed to help kids learn to read, but as far as a series, that I actually wanted to read, had to be the Shannara series by Terry Brooks/Goodkind. I was 17. Now if we want to talk about authors, Alistair MacLean. Several movies have been based on his books, "Ice Station Zebra", "Where Eagles Dare", "The Eiger Sanction", "The Guns of Navarone", "Force 10 from Navarone" and "Breakheart Pass" are probably the best known.

Craig

I think the first series I ever read was James P. Hogan's "Inherit the Stars" science fiction series. I don't recall exactly how old I was, but it was sometime in high school, so maybe 16 or 17. I stopped at the third book, because it was a number of years between the time the third and fourth books came out and by that time I would've had to go back and re-read books 1-3 to remember what last happened.

Actually, now that I think about it, I probably read Asimov's "Robot" series first.

I was in 4th grade, so I was about 9 or 10 years old when I read the "Freddy the Pig" series.

It was a series much like "Animal Farm", in that all the animals could talk. Freddy was the youngest and smartest of all the pigs on the Bean Farm in upstate New York. I loved that series and read every book. The animals get into all kinds of delightful adventures and talk freely with the humans who are involved with the stories.

I would suggest this series to anyone who has children of about 10 years old who like to read.

He wrote a story that was the basis for the TV show Mr. Ed. He lived about fifty miles from where I live.

I know I read all the Dick and Jane's, and likely other primary things. The first one I remember devouring was The Chronicles of Narnia in grade 3. From age 7 on I think I've read them more times than I can count. I still love them. The next series I read was A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.

Dick and Jane, Wrinkle in Time, Dr. Seuss, But an actual series...I began reading, The Hobbit, aloud when I was 5, it took me a year. After that I started the 3 books of "The Lord of the Rings." I also started reading the PERN novels by Anne McCaffrey around the same time.

I know it is going to sound cliche, but The Hardy Boys. I was in grade school. Don't remember what grade or how old, just the teasing. Kids can be so cruel. I don't really remember reading for fun much after that until high school.

Little House series, I was pretty young too. The Bobsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Anne of Green Gables series ( probably my fave). I also remember reading my grandparents' copies of original Wizard of Oz series, which had 4 additional books, I think. I too started reading at a very early age.

Last edited:
I read a lot when I was a kid. I played a lot, too, but I read a lot. It's what you did back then.
My first "series" was "The Happy Hollisters", all 31 or 32 of them.
I don't think those Big/Little books were considered a series, since each book had a different story, but I read a bunch of those, too.
And then about the time I was 14 maybe it was The Edge series of books. A very hard edged series of westerns based on a guy called Edge.
Quite a bit different from The Happy Hollisters, lol.

When I was in second grade the teacher read us those Little House on the Prairie books... no need to read those ;^)

Those are the completed series books anyway. There was a sprinkling of Hardy Boys and others mixed in. Including A Wrinkle in Time, which I didn't even realize was a series. I guess maybe I read the first one? It had a blue cover I remember.

I read a lot when I was a kid. I played a lot, too, but I read a lot. It's what you did back then.
My first "series" was "The Happy Hollisters", all 31 or 32 of them.
I don't think those Big/Little books were considered a series, since each book had a different story, but I read a bunch of those, too.
And then about the time I was 14 maybe it was The Edge series of books. A very hard edged series of westerns based on a guy called Edge.
Quite a bit different from The Happy Hollisters, lol.

When I was in second grade the teacher read us those Little House on the Prairie books... no need to read those ;^)

Those are the completed series books anyway. There was a sprinkling of Hardy Boys and others mixed in. Including A Wrinkle in Time, which I didn't even realize was a series. I guess maybe I read the first one? It had a blue cover I remember.

I remember reading some Tarzan Big/Little books but those Hollisters were just a little too happy for me.:ermm::LOL: As a kid Huck Finn was my all time favorite. I think every kid should read it. I am not sure if I was a kid today reading with an electronic device would have the same feeling of adventure I got from some of those old musty books that we read at camp on rainy days.

Funny, I read the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books when I was an adult. Had to find out what everyone was talking about:LOL:

Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon, then jumped from the kids' department of the library in one fell swoop to Perry Mason. I was bored with the kids' stuff, went through the YA, and into the adult when I was something like 10. Mom used to say that we didn't move because Daddy got orders, we moved because Claire used up the base library. Oh! I forgot. Wizard of Oz. Very disappointed, and to this day I think they're more in the fantasy genre that adults might like (although I've not re-read them in my adult life, just that I found them confusing when I was 8 or 9).

Oh, I forgot about Laura Ingalls Wilder! She was great because she wrote at different levels as she went along (much like Harry Potter series). I think I was 8 or so when I read my first, and when I hit, I think it was called, "These Happy Golden Years" I was older.

Dad had to sign me up and give his "permission" for me to browse and check out books from the "adult" section of the Public Library. It never failed, I would get held up at the desk by another librarian thinking I had swiped my Mom's library card. I had to get books at the library, I had already read all the one's at home...

The first series I read was the Little House series. But I was in the sixth grade before my foot ever touched the floor of a library. I never knew what that room full of books was. (Thank you public schools system.) Isn't it amazing that a public school could have a library and a child could attend that school and walk past that room day after day and never even be told what the room was much less be allowed to enter it?! I mean, how many people can remember the exact first time they heard the word "library?"
Sorry, got on a rant there, but I mean, really...

Oh, how sad! neither of my parents are readers, but thank heaven when they realized I was (I remember it, although couldn't tell you when it was, probably when my 2nd grade teacher told them I was woefully deficient in math, but very advanced in reading), the library was the next stop, then the BX for a set of flash cards! I'm exaggerating of course, but definitely close together. Probably the flash cards first. During the school year I had to concentrate on school, but in the summers I got a biweekly trip to the library. Heaven!!! My mother's cry was, "Claire, get your G-D nose out of that book and go outside and play! NOW!" She loved that I read, but she'd been an athletic kid (I had two left feet and a bad sense of balance and bad depth perception. To this day, throw me a ball and my instinct is to put my hands over my face and duck to make sure it doesn't hit my glasses and give me two black eyes!).

There are times that I wonder what Mom thought when she realized I was so different from her? She did "go with the flow" (we're talking early 60s here, not in a hippie atmosphere, certainly not in the military) and make sure, although they couldn't afford to buy them, that I had all the books I wanted to read ... as long as my homework was done!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom