What was your favorite childhood breakfast cereal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
expatgirl: Kids here get a free banana when grocery shopping and in some store, they get a fruit or raisins if they "help" the parent out while shopping with own cart.

I am going in to do something shopping tomorrow, I take a picture of the cereal section at my my favorite supermarket.

Tell us baout your favorite breakfast cereal, and why it was your favorite.

When I was a small child, whichever cereal had the most sugar and the best toy inside.

As an older child, right up until current time, I guess my favorite would be Grape-Nuts Flakes. Not Grape-Nuts, but Grape Nuts Flakes. Grape-Nuts are annoying. You pour on milk, take a spoonful, add more milk, take antoher spoonful, add more milk, and on and on, and the crunching will give you a headache. In fact, I am having Grape-Nuts Flakes for breakfast this very morning.

Grape Nuts Flakes are substantial, crunchy, and have a unique flavor that no other cold cereal has. Wheaties would be the runner up I guess. All the other cold cereals, with or without sugar, are like Krispy Kreme doughnuts; they have no substance. I can eat half a dozen Krispy Kremes and not get full and I can eat several bowls of Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Sugar Crisp, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc. and never get full.

..... I guess my favorite would be Grape-Nuts Flakes. Not Grape-Nuts, but Grape Nuts Flakes.

Grape-Nuts are annoying. You pour on milk, take a spoonful, add more milk, take antoher spoonful, add more milk, and on and on, and the crunching will give you a headache.....

Grape Nuts Flakes are substantial, crunchy, and have a unique flavor that no other cold cereal has. .... All the other cold cereals, ... they have no substance. .....

I too liked GNFlakes. My brother liked GN's. Love the way you explain it - it's perfectly true!
Even to the filling substance, other than Shredded Wheat, maybe that's why I liked them. When you finished your bowl you were good, you didn't look at the clock to see if you had time for another bowl.

Coming from Cedar Rapids I ate a lot of oatmeal and still eat it frequently. I did like GrapeNuts, Shredded Wheat, Cream of Wheat, and Cheerios.

My fondest early memory was Quisp, followed by Raisin Bran, then Fruit Loops.

Quisp had a time factor. You put it in milk just long enough to cause thr outer sugar layer to become gooey, but it was still crisp inside.

Does anyone remember a cereal that was a small square of a wheat lattice with a bit of raisin inside? I used to love those, with or without milk.

When you have the munchies :cool: , dry, sweetened cereal is a wonderful thing.

I remember gnawing on frozen fruit pies 'cause that's all my buddy had in his basement fridge that was sweet.
Geez, that was almost 40 years ago. Funny how you remember things.

Last edited:
I like the meusli type cereals with chopped dates and other fruits. My bolld sugar doesn't care for them though. I enjoy Shredded wheat (large biscuit), grape nuts, raisin bran, cooked barley cerials, steel-cut oatmeal, regular oatmeal (not instant), and farina. I'm not crazy about sweetened cerials, though as I mentioned previously in this thread, I did like Life, and still do. But I won't eat it because of the extra carbs.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

I agree about the sweetened cereals and although I like to add some sugar, I've cut way back and sometimes just add honey or real maple syrup.

I never had grits till I joined the army and like them. I'd not had steel cut oat meal or Scottish till about 10 years ago and like it.

Does anyone remember a cereal that was a small square of a wheat lattice with a bit of raisin inside?

Was it this?
12819887913_39c29681c8.jpg

My cereals as a kid were Cheerios and oatmeal. I still eat both today as well as Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Capn' Crunch with Crunchberries. Basically a bowl of sugar. Gee mom, I don't know why I can't sit still and concentrate in school.

CD

As a kid, I had a very sensitive mouth and dry cereal was out. My favorite hot cereal was Cream of Wheat mixed with a little butter and brown sugar, and milk on top.
Once in a while I liked a Shredded Wheat biscuit with hot milk over the top and some brown sugar with cinnamon.

Yup, I think it was Mini-Wheats, but I don't remember the "touch of fruit" name. Thanks.

"Fruit Wheats was a mini-biscuit style cereal with jam or fruit in the center of each piece. The cereal came in 3 varieties: strawberry, apple and raisin".

"One magazine ad from 1987 described the cereal like this: "The cereal with real fruit in every bite. Real Apple. Real Strawberry. Real Raisin. The only thing better than fruit in your cereal is fruit inside your cereal."

Television ads referred to Fruit Wheats as the "In" cereal. In one series of commercials, a boy and his dog embark on a journey to find out, "How do they get the fruit inside the wheats?"

What we got is what Dad liked and while we may have had more than one kind of cereal in the house, only one box was put on the table every morning, which amusingly Mom chose. Cheerios, most often, or Wheaties or shredded wheat. Wheat chex entered the mix when I was a teenager. Occasionally we kids got rice crispies. Mom liked grape nuts, so sometimes we had that. Oat meal w/ brown sugar, malto meal ( I still make malto meal muffins from recipe off the side of the box.) And we had something called Ralston Purina hot cereal. The name sounds like a pet food, it was much like cream of wheat, only a deeper brown color. Very tasty.

We sometimes had sliced fruit on cold cereal, bananas, strawbs or peaches. Hot cereal in winter.

When we visited the grandparents, we had raisin bran ( pretty sure Gram sneaked extra raisins in,) or sugar frosted flakes, never mind what our parents thought!

Back
Top Bottom