What winter greens and fruit do you grow in your backyard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boufa06

Executive Chef
Currently have chillies, basil, mint, lemon grass, rose geranium and aloe vera growing in pots before the cold set in. Once our countryside home is ready, will be planting walnut, pomegranate, quince, endives, kale, cauliflower, leeks etc.

Avacados is the only edible thing growing in my backyard. We used to have a huge mango tree but had it cut down because we landscaped.

I only grow veg in the summer. It's far too cold and wet to enjoy any garden chore in our winters! My Dad used to grow winter cabbages, potatoes and things like brussel sprouts.. it was torture as a child to be sent out to cut down frosty stems of cauliflowers!

I bring a pot of parsley, a small rosemary plant and some thyme into the conservatory and grow them on the windowsills.

Nothing, this year......my gypsy life style! My parents have winter chard, but the chickens got everything else.

currently I am harvesting carrots, celery, spinach, kale and broccoli. I had to swaddle most of these plants to get them through the hard freezes we have already had. The kale is the only plant that will winter over with no protection. I keep the carrots covered in the garden and dig a few when weather allows.

The only thing I brought in this fall is a geranium plant that I brought back home from Denver this spring. I repotted it and it is doing beautiful. I trimmed it back a little, but you should see the beautiful red flowers on it. And its got lots of new buds.:)

Back
Top Bottom