What would you expect to find in your kitchen in 20 years ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melordia

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,

I have always been interested in cooking and cooking utensils. Since I started my studies I wished I could be part of the next innovation in the kitchen.

I am now a product designer and I am writing a theses on the kitchen of the future, therefore I was wondering : what does people who cook a lot were expecting their kitchen to look like in 20 years ? Do you believe in what is projected in science fiction movies ? Is it really important for you to have cooking robots ?

I am sure many of you have many stories and/or expectation about their kitchen. Thus, I was wondering if some of you were willing to share their experience here ?

I want a Star Trek style replicator. Once I make something that turns out spectacular, I would love to have a machine that could replicate that exactly. It would also be handy for when a recipe calls for an ingredient one doesn't happen to have. Okay, that's unlikely in 20 years, but, who knows.

Who knows indeed. We have 3-D printers now. All they need to do is figure out how to make things with organic source materials. Should be easy, right? [emoji1787] [emoji1787] [emoji1787]

This will be interesting to watch. Sometimes it tastes like we already have cooking robots. I'm living with my 25-years-ago kitchen plan and it still works great for me. There probably are a few things in this life that will always require the human hand and taste buds.
(Maybe wishful thinking on my part)

Ooh, a 3-D printer for food. I can imagine beautiful, lacy chocolate or other confectionery concoctions. Also, intricate pasta shapes, fancy shapes for cookies, hmm ...

Last edited:
In 20 years many things may change.

One will likely be meat protein which may be made from vegetable matter.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/23/imp...ndustry-will-be-obsolete-within-15-years.html

Vegetables may be produced by indoor grown vertical hydroponics. This may even be a function of our homes as the architecture in 20 years may provide a southern facing greenhouse wall that will provide for garden and passive solar heating.

Youtube video's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27il7qhIcB8

Earthship home solar heating & garden interior photo.

b5da81846f7c97264be5525a9aaad784.jpg

Earthship 101 Youtube (and explanation of what an Earthship home is and can do for the owner) In 20 years architecture may change considerably.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b5/da/81/b5da81846f7c97264be5525a9aaad784.jpg

Computerization in the kitchen will make it a "smart kitchen" as with the
rest of the house. Ron Popeil (of Ronco Products) was once asked what was his favorite of all the products he developed. He stated it was the little needle shaped device that scrambled a raw egg while in the shell. When the shell was cracked it poured a perfectly scrambled egg into the
skillet. But such features will be incorporated into future major appliances. (probably when patents have expired)

hqdefault.jpg

This hood may adjust fan exhaust speed to what is necessary and taking place
with the cooking. Lighting needs similar.

Electrolux (think vacuum cleaners) has a design team who is looking into the kitchens of the future. This stove for example is supposed to have a top you can mold wells in to cook. Once finished the surface returns to normal and you only need to wipe with a wet sponge and cloth to dry.

Electrolux-Heart-of-the-Hom.jpg

Similar with refrigeration. Refrigerated "future gel" may provide a refrigeration panel
on a wall. (without having to open and close the fridge all the time)

images

Bio-Robot-Frigerator-by-Yuriy-Dmitriev-3-889x779.jpg

And needless to say, the microwave oven will have a switch to set from heat to cool, so that a beverage could be cooled...thus becoming a micro-refrigerator.

I've read that a home with a 6 Kw electric solar panel array would be enough to power the home. There would be a battery rack with LiPo type batteries by that time (or maybe something even better).

By that time most of us will have learned more about nutrition and adding items to our diets that may make obsolete many of the things we have known in the past. Soft drinks, dairy products, (we may make them from vegetable or grain items that are healthier) similar with bakery products where we begin to raise crops from other parts of the world that show themselves to be healthier.

One of the big problems in tody's kitchens are the abundance of single use appliances whch simply take up more room than the benefits they offer. Often they are made simply for gift giving or are cheapened to compete against a more substantial makers products. And in time they wind up in flea markets or land fills. Paid TV informercials that use celebrities to pitch these products are largely responsible for the practice. But in 20 years most people may be wiser and look back and laugh at the "Celebrity Chef" trend of the 1900's and early 2000's and how it was replaced by "Celebrity Veterinarians" as more people were choosing to stay single and have pets instead of children. (and avoid costly divorces, child custody issues or choosing to form civil unions as DINK's....double income no kids) But our social culture will have much influence on the kitchen, it's appearance, and equipment. The kitchen has often been referred to as the heart or office of the home.

Last edited:
I made an error in the Earthship link and posted a duplicate photo.

But newer trends in architecture will likely be considering recycling already existing things which are difficult to recycle. Old tires, shipping containers,
components of buildings which will be torn down. Gen Z kids may be looking
at homes like this as an affordable alternative if they don't live in RV's and move frequently looking for a better life.

Earthship 101 part 1. Michael Reynolds Architect. (he started this in the 60's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jdIm7grCY

I visited one in central Ohio near where I used to live. The owner builder had a full commercial stainless steel kitchen from an old Jr High School that was being torn down. Told me he paid $800 dollars for everything including pots, pans, & equipment etc.

RCJoe
although I agree with most of what you've said - I seriously doubt it will all happen within 20 years. Some of it for sure, but the majority to be in an every day home, will take much longer. Cost of updating existing kitchens would be, as it is now, expensive for the average homeowner. There is always the entrepreneur trying to make a buck.

I believe the OP was asking what we "personally" would like to see in our 'own' kitchens. As you've pointed out, a lot of that stuff already exists in spots and places. So what do YOU want? ;)

I, personally, considering that I am 75 years of age, sincerely hope that in 20 years I will still find myself in the kitchen and cooking. :LOL:

I had to go dig out of the basement an electric can opener (wedding gift) just two days ago as my arthritic knuckles refused to let me turn my scissor type grip can opener...:(

Well, if I'm still above the grass in 20 years I'd like to have some of the stuff I posted...or anything like it in the IDSA org website in my Earthship type of home. And hopefully I'll still be able to live on my own then and look after myself. But if I still had the same sort of domestic appliances I have now, I could live with it. (then I could just dream of the future as I did when I was a kid aspiring to become an Industrial Designer)

About the only thing that I saw in this thread that I might have different is the vertical hydroponics! I've always said that my range will outlive me, and I don't want something different there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom