What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i watched "the terminal" this morning.

i forgot how much i liked this mostly forgotten tom hanks movie.

and stanley tucci is a great actor.

We watched Les Miserables last night, what a beautiful story. I hadn't seen other versions or even a stage production, so the story was new to me. It was my partner's first show that he saw on broadway.

Russel Crow's voice was a bit hard to deal with especially in contrast to the other talent in the movie, but I enjoyed him in the role otherwise.

I watched Meet the Spartans last night. I was going to follow it up with 300, but then I saw Heavy Metal was on. An oldy but a goldy.

I'm not sure which one that is... I'll YT it.
I've got one in my head right now I don't know who sings it. I should get the soundtrack someday, but so many times they leave songs off the soundtrack that are in the movie.

I hope you all don't mind, but I have a point of discussion. I'm puzzled why so many people watch a movie or read a book more than once? I've always wondered about this. There are so many books to be read and so many movies to be seen I don't understand why so many people repeat their experiences when they have already "been there, done that". It seems like a waste of time to me as long as I have an intact memory. With very few exceptions, I want a new experience with both books and movies. I'll admit I reread a favorite book of mine recently, that I read over thirty years ago and it was a wonderful revisit although I had forgotten much of it so that's an exception. On the other hand, I just don't understand seeing or reading a story I remember well. Maybe someone can enlighten me. By the way, I don't have a DVD or book library for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
I hope you all don't mind, but I have a point of discussion. I'm puzzled why so many people watch a movie or read a book more than once? I've always wondered about this. There are so many books to be read and so many movies to be seen I don't understand why so many people repeat their experiences when they have already "been there, done that". It seems like a waste of time to me as long as I have an intact memory. With very few exceptions, I want a new experience with both books and movies. I'll admit I reread a favorite book of mine recently, that I read over thirty years ago and it was a wonderful revisit although I had forgotten much of it so that's an exception. On the other hand, I just don't understand seeing or reading a story I remember well. Maybe someone can enlighten me. By the way, I don't have a DVD or book library for obvious reasons.

Once you have read the story (seen the movie) you know how it ends and the obvious storyline can no longer distract you. A second read/watch...then you can go past the obvious, look at the characters closer, notice things you missed the first time around. Many times I have reread/rewatched and made new discoveries in the story or been made to change my impression of the meaning the author intended.

For me, I don't watch many movies a second time, but there have been a few exceptions, for example The Hobbit, which I have seen 3 times now, LOTR I have seen 4 times....the films have to be very good, entertaining or funny for me to watch again, but I do and enjoy them as much the other times

With books however, I only like to read a book once and then not revisit them

great stories bear repeating.

and when you smoke pot during the first few go 'rounds, it's almost like it never happened before, but you think you're a genius because you can see the plot lines ahead of time, lol. :cool:
:mrgreen:

Last edited:
There are just some movies or books that need repeating, sometimes several times.

Last night we watched Melancholia for the first time (and the last for me..)

Sometimes a movie is just that good....

American Winter Documentary Review:

The documentary recently aired on HBO this month. It looks at 8 families in Portland Oregon who are struggling to get by in the 2011-2012 winter months.

It was totally honest and sad at times to watch. One family had the power turned off for a while, job problems with a few of the families, another family winds up in a shelter, etc...

nonprofit organization 211info in Portland gets used by some of the families to make it through the winter.

Updates at the end were promising for all families, but how long will some of the improved situations last though?

I say the documentary is a must see.

I've been on a Mel Brooks kick lately and just bought the entire collection on Blu-Ray. We watched "History of the World" last night. Tonight I think it will be "High Anxiety", which I have never seen.

For the same reason you listen to the same song again and again. It leaves you with emotions. Have you never said, "Oh, turn that up, I love this song!" Every Christmas you sing the same carols that you have sung for years.

Twelve Angry Men with Henry Fonda always reminds me of just how a jury should work and how personal hidden feelings can come into play. The Magnificant Seven sends a strong message of caring for the underdog. And some musicals just makes you feel happy. And you know all the songs along with the words. You have the luxury of singing along in your home. Can't do that in the theater.

You also will watch a movie again if there is someone you want to share those emotions with. You enjoyed it so much you want someone else to enjoy with you.

I have lost count of how many times I have read My Friend Flicka. I first read it in the fifth grade. It turned me on to reading because it was a story with a powerful message of love within a family and of animals. I have read the Kent Chronicals twice because of my love of American history. All eight books. :angel:

Ok, I think I'm understanding a little better now, that for some people repeating a movie or book is like listening to a musical piece over and over. Thanks Addie.
I know this is the movie thread but thanks Addie for the Kent Chronicle books recommendation. I just ordered the first in the series for my Nook as I too love to read American history. By the way, have you read From Sea to Shining Sea by James Alexander Thom? It's my all time favorite historical novel, based on fact.
http://www.jamesalexanderthom.com/sea.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom