What's your definition of home made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
I always thought it was something you make that does not include a preboxed product (i.e. cake mix, pasta mix, etc).

Someone recently told me I was wrong. That the type of cooking I am referring to is called from scratch, but home made stuff has boxed ingredients.

thoughts??

I always considered homemade and made from scratch the same ..... something you made at home that wasn't prepackage

I don't agree.. you make them
for the people you love.. that puts the "heart" right back in.
: )

Putting my signature aside for a moment, for me, "from scratch" means the ingredients you use in a recipe are at or near the lowest level of processing. That is, individual ingredients from individual sources that someone else did not do any prep. for you.

for example:

flour
butter
milk
seasonings
mushrooms

NOT

A can of cream of mushroom soup.

I see this as different from "home made" where mom or dad makes a meal for the family that may include some prepackaged foods.

...and please, let's not get started on Semi-Home Made.

According to some definitions I looked up homemade is [size=-1]made or produced in the home or by yourself; "homemade bread"

From Scratch means - [/size][size=-1]from the beginning; "he baked the torte from scratch" .

BUT - if I baked a loaf of bread in my bread machine using a boxed bread mix I still might say it was homemade but NOT from scratch.

If I baked chocolate chip cookies from a boxed mix I don't think I'd be inclined to say they were homemade - only if I made them from scratch would I say they were homemade.

Technically - I guess they would be homemade according to the definition. It just has to be made at home or by yourself.
[/size][size=-1] [/size]

kitchenelf said:
Boy, I'm with you there - :LOL:

guyyyyyyys, lol.:LOL:

any-hoo, homemade to me is Grandpap's ham 'n cabbage, Dad's roast chicken or Mom's Swiss steak.

corazon90 said:
Aparantly, my cookies are homemade with no heart.:(
I will eat your cookies then. If someone gave me cookies with heart in them I think I would lose my lunch :-p

To me, home made is something made in your home. This does not mean opening a can, adding water and heating. There has to be some prep and cooking involved. I do not think that restaurants can have home made food. That is just my opinion of the definition.

Home made for me means taking the basic ingredients and making the dish. For instance, I am constantly flummoxed here when recipes state 'a yellow cake mix' or a 'white cake mix'.....:mrgreen: My recipes start - 'cream together the butter and sugar, add eggs then flour'!

I don't consider anything from a mix homemade. To me, scratch and homemade are the same. That doesn't mean I don't ever use a mix, but I don't tell anyone it is homemade, if I did.

So I'm not the only one who, when serving a dessert or whatever from a box, put the little disclaimer of "oh, I didn't make these from scratch" or something like that...I have to admit, it's kind of like admitting guilt to something for me, that is...I kind of hang my head, hope nobody will notice it's not from scratch.

I like taking shortcuts sometime and I don't think it is anything to feel ashamed about. Some of the things I most enjoy may be something that wasn't made from scratch. We aren't all good at the same things. One thing about making from scratch is we know exactly what is in the recipe.

Home-made in baking I agree with Ishbel...but I'm not above opening a can of diced tomatoes rather than starting with fresh...and I'm sure not going to go pick the green beans off the vine....lol. I don't make my own pasta either...yet I call my pasta dishes home-made...so do you think we think of "home-made" more when we think of baking?

KAYLINDA - I tend to think in reference to baking too - there I will make a distinction. Homemade spaghetti sauce will have canned tomato sauce and tomatoes in it but it's still homemade.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom