What's Your Favorite Way of Storing/Organizing Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LVDeb

Cook
Lately, I've been taking screen shots or downloading PDFs and I'd like to have a physical way of storing them. Haven't decided on that system yet.

What do you all do/use?

I use Copy Me That. It's online, but you can download all of it and print it if you want to. ATM, I don't want to. I'm happy to have it in the cloud and searchable. I have it on my 'puter, on my phone, and on my tablet. I use it on my tablet when I'm cooking. I got so tired of paper printouts. Yes, you can write notes on them and I used to do that, but finding the one I wanted could be a PITA. Finding stuff in CMT is easy. I write notes on the recipes in CMT. It also makes it really easy to share recipes when someone asks for one.

Edited to add: I'm not sure if you can download all of your recipes in the free version. I used the free version for a number of months and liked it so much that I decided to get the paid version. It's not expensive.

Last edited:
I use CMT to collect internet recipes from different sources in a standard format. If I make a recipe that’s a keeper, I transfer it to a MS WORD document in my standard recipe format for filing in my recipe book. I don’t rely on the internet for long term storage.

When I try a recipe I write it on notepaper.
After I've made it 3 times and want to save it, I write it on a notecard, covered in cellophane.

I put them on the front of the refrigerator. The refrigerator is a revolving bunch of recipes, always changing.

Both are filed in the recipe box and I throw out the notepaper ones when they are old and never used, or copied onto the notecard.

I use an app called Paprika (https://www.paprikaapp.com/). I have both desktop and mobile versions (total cost: $30, although it goes on sale periodically), so it's installed on my laptop, tablet and phone. It syncs automatically between them and I have backup software on my laptop that is running constantly, so I will never lose the recipes. Btw, they're saved as html files (the same format web pages use), not in a proprietary database, like the last software I used.

One of the best things about it is how easily it downloads recipes from web pages. Then you can edit and clean them up (use your preferred terms, etc) before saving them. I love that I can make notes for next time and have them saved instantly. I can also link to complementary recipes within the app. If I try something and decide not to make it again, I just delete it.

Here's a screen shot.
Screenshot_20220702-092540.jpg

There are a couple of features I really like. One is the built-in timers. See the blue numbers in the instructions? If you press them, you can start a timer within the recipe.

Another is that you can cross off ingredients as you use them by tapping them on the screen. Also, the screen stays on while you're using a recipe. Very handy. Screenshot_20220702-092656.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I like that one, GG, very nice. I'll have to add it to the Wish List. Thank you.

GG, the timers and crossing off ingredients are nice features that I don't get with CMT. I'm going to suggest those to CMT.

LVDeb, CMT does most of that stuff that GG mentioned. It's a webservice with a free version and a paid subscription. I got the lifetime subscription because it was only U$24.99.

I use the meal planner All. The. Time.

I would suggest that you give them each a trial run. Paprika offers a 30 day free trial. CMT offers a free account.

I like that it is easy to share recipes from CMT to people who don't have a CMT account. For copyright reasons, when the recipe is from a website, the shared recipe will only show the ingredient list, picture, and my rating. It will have a button for instructions that takes them to the original website. If I wrote the recipe, they will see everything. I can control who can find my CMT recipes, both the ones from websites and the ones I write.

When I want to download my recipes, I go to a page with this:

Clipboard01.jpg

Oh, and talking about free apps related to cooking that I really like. This is another one I use all the time. I learned about it here on DC: Our Groceries. I have it on my 'puter, my phone, and my tablet. It syncs in real time. My DH has it and logs into the same account. When we used to go shopping together, we would each take part of the list and meet up after. We could see when the other person crossed off an item while we were shopping. Actually made shopping more fun.

TL: I do intend to try them both. What I liked about Paprika is I can download the app straight to my Mac and it's a one time buy. Don't get me started on subscriptions for programs, Adobe soured me on that. I was so angry when they switched over.

Anyhoo, I'm going to do the 30 day trial and see what happens. Too much coffee today has me wired and in ORGANIZE ALL THE THINGS mode. Totally re-organized and re-shelved all the beading and wirework stuff on the desk, and now the pantry shelves are next!

I also use Paprika. I used to have Living Cookbook, until they disappeared. Paprika was able to import all of my recipes into their own format, so it was a no-brainer.

I like that if I'm shopping and see an special, I can quickly look up recipes and other ingredients that I need to get. It's real handy to have recipe ideas in your phone when you need them.

*glances up for the first time in several hours*

Got lost in Paprika. Bought it outright. Love it. So, so easy and a perfect way to waste...um...while away the hours on a Saturday afternoon.

*glances up for the first time in several hours*

Got lost in Paprika. Bought it outright. Love it. So, so easy and a perfect way to waste...um...while away the hours on a Saturday afternoon.
Wait till you get to spend a rainy day looking up your favorite cookbook recipes online and importing them into Paprika. You know about the Share button, right? ;)
Screenshot_20220703-095905_Chrome.jpg

GG: If I waited for a rainy day here in Vegas, I'd never get anything done. Rainy days are the days I become a total slug, binge comfort movies and listen to the thunderstorms. In the winter, I light up a fire in the fireplace.

Alas, today is not that day.

But...yes, I did discover those nifty options!

GG: If I waited for a rainy day here in Vegas, I'd never get anything done. Rainy days are the days I become a total slug, binge comfort movies and listen to the thunderstorms. In the winter, I light up a fire in the fireplace.

Alas, today is not that day.

But...yes, I did discover those nifty options!
Lol, I forgot you were in Vegas [emoji38]

Back
Top Bottom