What's your silly food behavior you still carry from childhood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have 4 silly food behaviors that I still do, or would do if my diet allowed:

1. eat the cookie of Keebler fudge stripe cookies in tiny bites, all the way around, to make a thinnest cookie ring, then munch the ring

2. Pell the outer skin of a skinless hot dog with my teeth, from one end to the other, until there is just the inner meat.

3. When eating a sandwich, especially nut butter and ,,,, I eat the crust first, all the way around, and continue inwards until the final bite is the center of the sandwich, though this one isn't so silly as it minimizes any drips.

4. When eating corn on the cob, I eat the corn like the crows did in the Woody Woodpecker cartoons, starting at the small end, scraping off kernels from right to left for the length of the cob, chewing up that big mouthful, then turning the cob slightly to get the next three rows, eaten the same way, and repeat. I don't make the sound of the old typewriter carriage return though:D

5. I know I said 4 things, but this one is not silly at all. Though I love most foods, like everyone else, I have favorites with every meal I save my favorite food on the plate for last, so that the flavor of that food is the one that lingers . Sometimes it's something like mashed rutabaga, with brown sugar and butter, sometimes its a piece of desert, sometimes it's that crusty, buttered bread, used to soak up a great spaghetti sauce, sometimes it's the beverage. I just depends on the meal

My kids loved was to take a plastic straw, insert one end into a hot wiener, cover the other end with a thumb to create a vacuum, and remove a plug of meat, They would then suck the plug through the straw, and munch it.

I taught them that one as we were waiting for an hour for their mother to get out of a target store, and we were in a hot van, in El Cajon summer heat. Their Mom was terrible at that, She'd say that she was only going in for a gallon of milk and would be right out. She always took an hour, or more to get hat gallon of milk,

I needed something to distract, and entertain the kids. Their Mom threw a fit about me teaching the kids to play with food. We had a long discussion about it after the kids were in bed that night. I stuck to my guns on that one. My youngest daughter still likes to play with her food, and teaches her girls to do the same. I'm so proud of her,:D

Does anyone else still celebrate the child within?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I want to splurge (don't with these very often) I get the double stuff oreos, take both the cookies off the middle, then dunk the cookies in COLD milk. Finally, I eat the filling.

I don't think I did this as a kid, but when I eat corn on the cob, I eat it one row at a time. That way I leave less on the cob and it's fun.

5. I know I said 4 things, but this one is not silly at all. Though I love most foods, like everyone else, I have favorites with every meal I save my favorite food on the plate for last, so that the flavor of that food is the one that lingers . Sometimes it's something like mashed rutabaga, with brown sugar and butter, sometimes its a piece of desert, sometimes it's that crusty, buttered bread, used to soak up a great spaghetti sauce, sometimes it's the beverage. I just depends on the meal

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This reminds me of a story years ago. We were having dinner with my mother in law and her boyfriend. He ate his filet like you described, saving the very center for the last bite. She noticed there was only a bite left, in the blink of an eye, picked it off his plate and gave it to the dog. The boyfriend howled, and we all had a good laugh.

I liked chopped herring. By American standard it's probably not just silly, it's outright weird. now to add to it. I like to make mashed potatoes and then add cold chopped herring to hot mashed potatoes. My wife usually leaves the table when I eat that concoctions.

In the summer, my mom always served a bowl of sliced cucumbers soaked in white vinegar. I love that stuff, and I still make it [emoji7] I used to drink the watered-down vinegar at the end of the meal... And I still do that, too [emoji16] [emoji39]

"bump"
don't know how weird or silly this is, but if you serve me meat on a bone I eat it with my fingers. I don't care where I am, your house, my house, fancy hi-end restaurant.
Especially chicken, on a bone? pick it up with your fingers and eat. Yeah, sure, you can start off with a knife and fork for the meaty thick parts of thighs, steaks, chops. Once that is gone - it is finger time, no exceptions.

I was brought up to be a card-carrying member of the clean plate club.

I learned early on to always eat the thing that I like the least first and save the very best bites for last. So when it comes to pie I usually eat the wide, mostly crust, end of the slice first and save the tip for last.

I'm also very fussy about which foods I eat with a spoon and which I eat with a fork and please don't ask me to hold onto my plate at your next family potluck.

1671197741453.png

Nuts! I cannot take a handful and put them in my mouth, not even a half-dozen nuts. I eat them one at a time, which drives some people nuts, so I tell them "don't look if it bothers you."
Me too!

With a bowl of mixed nuts or snack mix I tend to focus on eating a single item before sampling the other items in the bowl.

Eating them one at a time! for sure that would drive me nuts, and no, I would not be able to look away! :ROFLMAO:

But Mixed Nuts - the exception. I like to taste the different flavours and I can't if they are all mixed up together... :mrgreen: so yup, one at a time.

When I was kid I'd eat from a bowl of mixed nuts one type at a time. Usually all the brazil nuts first then all the cashews, etc.

OMG, Andy... you're so right! That was the only way. I would still do it but luckily I rarely have access to mixed nuts.

Eating them one at a time! for sure that would drive me nuts, and no, I would not be able to look away! :ROFLMAO:

But Mixed Nuts - the exception. I like to taste the different flavours and I can't if they are all mixed up together... :mrgreen: so yup, one at a time.
To me, that's the major advantage of mixed nuts. I eat those one at a time, like you, to taste the different flavours. If I have all one kind, it's too easy to just stuff a bunch in my mouth. A couple of problems with that. 1) They don't get enjoyed for as long. 2) They are gone too quickly. 3) If I don't slow down and chew slowly, I get crumbs down my windpipe and start coughing, a lot. It takes a while to get comfortable again.

I finish off the nuts, replace the lid, and put the empty can back on the shelf! No matter whose house it is!! Why get picky over nuts ... they're all gone!!!

Back
Top Bottom