What's your weather right now? 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So we got hit by tornado winds. Was a warm,quiet, grey day, quite lovely but something didn't feel right. LOL when am I going to learn to listen to myself?

Started to rain a little bit and the winds suddenly picked up. Went to help my son bring in all the bunnies he had just put out in their garden cages. Sent the kids inside when the wind really got bad.

A big hole in the roof, about 3' sq. and another in the wall, about 1.5'? Then it bounced down to the brand new deck. In total 3 huge parts of the tree came down... and I'm super angry as I had asked the city to take it down last year when a different tree fell and crushed the trampoline. No, no, they said... it was safe.

The branch blocked the back door and patio door but didn't break it. A little twig in the screen, lol.

So last night my son & DIL slept in the livingroom. Vacuum has been going constantly yesterday afternoon & this morning. Bags of broken drywall, stuffing from ripped open bags of insulation, but worse (she hates them!) are the ants that were left behind by the branch!
That was the umbrella and glass patio table where the kids had been playing moments before. The gazebo beside it.

But that was it. No injuries. Still have a house. Thank You up there!

Edit: added a pic of the deck in the "before" state.

Attachments

• LNRZ7175681CCE9_0.jpg
    LNRZ7175681CCE9_0.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220522_115720.jpg
    20220522_115720.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220522_115728.jpg
    20220522_115728.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220521_092833.jpg
    20220521_092833.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Oh, dear, dragn!! I'm so sorry to hear & see this news...but, like you, I'm so happy that there were no human injuries! Your home and yard looks like it was very nice and I'm sure it will be again! Yes, trust your inner voice!!

Actually I've now heard that 3 people were killed. 2 from a falling tree. Don't think it was here in this town but not sure.

The path was quite wide spread from about Niagra up & thru Quebec. taxy mentioned the storm went around Montreal (north and south of it) LOL. Evidently there are advantages to being an island!

That was a weather event called a derecho. It went from the border of Michigan all the way past Quebec City (over 1,000 km). Derechos can have hurricane force winds. It's just that they are a series of thunderstorms in a straight line. They can spawn tornadoes. Last I checked, the death toll was up to five. Over half a million people were without power in Quebec and over 400,000 in Ontario.

As Dragn mentioned, it did miss the Island of Montreal. It went north and south of us. We got enough wind to make the branches on the trees sway a lot. The sky got very dark and ominous looking. I heard some thunder, but then, the wind calmed down. The sky became a lighter shade of grey and we didn't even get any rain.

Last edited:
Over hal.f a million people were without power in Quebec and over 400,000 in Ontario.

Gotta love that Generac Generator! I baked cookies with the grandkids in the basement while the others were fixing the roof and cleaning up the mess in the bedroom.

Wow, dragn, you sure did have some wicked weather come through your area! I'm glad to hear that the only injuries sustained were of the non-human or animal kind. Things can be replaced; people cannot. Hugs to you and your family.

The weather still seems to be in an agitated mood. Tree branches are swaying a bit and the sky is looking decidedly unfriendly. It's draining all my energy.

Wow, dragn, that must have been scary! I'm glad everyone is okay!

We're driving back from Michigan to Virginia and just went through our second line of storms, west of Washington, DC. The sky is clearing now.

GG, I have discovered over the years, I'd rather be at home than on the road during storms like that. Hope the rest of your trip is/has been safe.

Many thanks for all the good wishes everyone.
I must comment that the pictures are misleading on the deck. One picture is from the security camera under the roof line - that is the one with the tree down. The picture of the deck before was taken standing on a small raised deck at the garage door, just under the eaves and security camera.
So the railing seen with the tree down was a single railing. The full railing of the deck had only one section (maybe two damaged) torn off. Not so bad.

Here's an article with a video about the exciting weather that we had on Saturday, here in Ontario and Quebec. Over 40% of Canada's population was affected. I have friends who live off the Island of Montreal who were affected. Some can't send kids to school for safety concerns and access, due to fallen trees. There are a lot of fallen trees. There are broken power pylons. It's going to take a while for everyone to get their power back. Some friends are even without cell service. I am really glad that dragn wasn't more adversely affected. Still a PITA and scary.

Sadly, the known death toll is up to 10.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/c...red-after-deadly-weekend-storm-ontario-quebec

We do consider ourselves very lucky when we listen to others stories. My own cirlce of friends just off the island of Montreal said they were not affected badly, just a bit of wind and rain, not scary. But have another friends went without power for 2 days.

We've been having a steady stream of evaluators coming around - roofing, siding, structural damages both house and deck (moved 3"), insulation and exterminator (tree dropped all those ants in).

City is determining how to bring a crane in through the cemetary without disturbing the residents there. (ground is spring time soft and heavy crane might sink) Crane is needed to lift out the trunks in the back.

The fires drag on. The nearest fire to me, the Hermits Peak/Calf's Canyon fire, remains the largest one burning in the US. Currently it has burned over 314,000 acres, has 3,001 folks fighting it and is 50% contained. The winds have been horrendous. No predictions when it will be contained. The Federal Govt. has been very helpful. Folks from all over the country are here to help.

Bethzaring, I do hope the fires do not reach you, and that they are put out soon.
Here we have 93 degree heat in the afternoon, and wind. We are currently in a draught, not severe but noticeable, but since we harvest and save rain water we can water our gardens.

Bethzaring, I do hope the fires do not reach you, and that they are put out soon.
Here we have 93 degree heat in the afternoon, and wind. We are currently in a draught, not severe but noticeable, but since we harvest and save rain water we can water our gardens.

Thanks Marlingardener. I am not in danger of the fires reaching me. About two weeks ago, the command center for the fires were moved to the small town I live in, Taos. I too collect and store rain water but so far, we have had 1 1/2 inches of rain this year. We are in an extreme drought. For the first time, we are set up to collect and transport water from our acequia to our 1100 square foot garden. We live in the desert, but weather conditions are dramatically changing here.

beth, I wish you were getting the kind of rain we're having right now. It's pouring down, with about a quarter inch predicted for tonight. I think we've already had that much, and the rain is supposed to continue for another few hours. We're also supposed to get good rains overnight Wednesday into Thursday morning - an inch or more. While we aren't in a severe drought, we are experiencing a moderate one. My plans for doing a little gardening tomorrow might be getting washed away, but that's OK. We need the rain - and need to clear out a lot of pollen from the air. *ah-choo*

We've just had a couple of days of rain. Appreciated for the plants just put in. Earlier Spring rains were also good as it made recovering weed grown garden (of many years) much easier to turn over and remove roots.

Have sun today (70f) quite cool at night (54f)

Can't complain, rain tomorrow off and on all day, with sun inbetween.
Next 2 days will be sunny again.

I'm a happy camper. Just rain for the garden and sun for happy dispositions.

We are hot and dry. The temperature today is predicted to hit triple digits and no rain in the forecast for a week. We harvest rain water (when we have it) so I have plenty of water to lug to the gardens early in the morning before the sun comes out and temperatures rise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom