When do you throw something away?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep just about anything i can ... And working constuction i come across a good amount of stuff... But i do get rid of clothes and furniture.. but only when i have to..

I like stuff. I may need it some day. ;)
Actually, I clean out my closets once in a blue moon. :) I don't have a whole lot of really nice stuff, but I have plenty of pretty good stuff. We drive a car forever before getting rid of it, and we wear our clothes until they fall off of us. If the stuff belongs in the kitchen, it almost never leaves. If the kitchen starts to get crowded, it may go to the basement, but it is hard to send it out the door. I do throw away magazines, but not Hubby. He has magazines from the 70's. I have a Nortic track exercise machine that I only used twice in the last year, but they were two really good workouts! :D Why would I get rid of it? We watched a 19 inch TV in our family room until last year when we upgraded to a 37 inch one. We moved the 19 inch to the bedroom and moved the smaller one to the garage. Sometimes moving things around is better than getting rid of things. Hoarder??? No!! Collector!

chopper said:
I like stuff. I may need it some day. ;)
Actually, I clean out my closets once in a blue moon. :) I don't have a whole lot of really nice stuff, but I have plenty of pretty good stuff. We drive a car forever before getting rid of it, and we wear our clothes until they fall off of us. If the stuff belongs in the kitchen, it almost never leaves. If the kitchen starts to get crowded, it may go to the basement, but it is hard to send it out the door. I do throw away magazines, but not Hubby. He has magazines from the 70's. I have a Nortic track exercise machine that I only used twice in the last year, but they were two really good workouts! :D Why would I get rid of it? We watched a 19 inch TV in our family room until last year when we upgraded to a 37 inch one. We moved the 19 inch to the bedroom and moved the smaller one to the garage. Sometimes moving things around is better than getting rid of things. Hoarder??? No!! Collector!

I donated my Nordic Track to the local middle school, had replaced it with the recumbant bike years ago. They love it!

I was kinda forced to get rid of my things. In the past 2 years we've gone from a double story 5 bedroom home to a 3 bedroom house, to a 3 bedroom townhouse, to a 2 bedroom flat. At least it's not a tin shack yet lol! Half of my belongings broke in the move anyway.

I generally don't throw anything away. The things that grow older become more dearer to me. My DH tells me that I am a miser, but I am not, I feel happy using and caring old things.

I generally don't throw anything away. The things that grow older become more dearer to me. My DH tells me that I am a miser, but I am not, I feel happy using and caring old things.
+1
Due to such things as increasingly restrictive government regs and cost cutting manufacturing practices, it's not economically feasible do in-kind replacement of many older products; e.g. a Blitz 6.125 gallon pull and pour HDPE gasoline container.

Last edited:
I get rid of stuff whenever I move. Last time we moved, we rented a renovation-sized dumpster and started filling it up. However, seeing how the last move occurred almost 15 years ago, the clutter has begun to pile up.

Hmmm. Maybe it's time to move again. ;)

Just don't toss out your wine make stuff. :angel:

I went from a large two bedroom apartment to a very large studio to a smaller studio. So I had no choice but to downsize. But I still have a closet that....

I have two closets. One is a walk-in and the other regular size, I use the walk-in all the time. I even have my tall dresser in there. I keep all my foldables in that. Along with the clothes and other items I use all the time. I use the regular sized one more for storage. In the other closet are clothes that I will probably never wear again. I really need to toss them. We have a drop off box for clothing that goes to women who are trying to get employed and do not have the money to dress appropriately for an interview. Most of the stuff in my closet are just what they are looking for. My clothes from my working days. My taste in clothing runs to somewhat conservative. Safe colors and necklines. If I would be willing to not park my scooter right in front of the door and move it back just a few inches, I might get to cleaning it out and take the stuff to the drop-off.

I also have a large craft cabinet. I REALLY need to clean that out or get it organized. I am sure there is a school that could use two unopened packages of colored construction paper, tons of unopened paints, brushes, stencils, etc. I need to stay away from the craft store and their sales of stuff I will never use but might. The minute I see it, a thousand ideas run through my head of what I could do with that. And I should buy it right now while it is on sale. And a closeout sale is even better. Right now I have three dozen all white place mats with matching napkins that I am going to paint someday. Also bags of yarn. And on and on ad nauseum. :angel:

I don't really throw anything away...I give it to others...that's why PF is getting a couple of books (and I'm getting those purple shoes)! I did, however, get rid of an old freezer and washer today--the person who picked them up does kitten rescue and the $ from selling them for scrap will go to help kitties. I got a couple more appliances for him to pick up in the spring--just need to make a trail in the barn to them (the barn is divided in two parts here in the City--so the one side is a bit...ummm..full of stuff).

Unless it's worn out, everything goes to Goodwill or friends. 'Cept books, those go back to the bookstore for credit. I think we have over $300 in credit at one bookstore.

One of our local charities takes clothes that are no longer wearable and sells it for fibre recycling. I tend to wear my clothes until that's they are worn out. I have a basket overflowing with mending that I should either mend or send off to that charity.

I know a kniiter that goes to thrift shops and buy old sweaters. She then unravels them and reuses the yarn for projects she knits. She also buy holey denim items, cuts up the item into large patches and sews them together. When she has about three yards sewn together, she gets out her patterns and cuts out and sews a new item from it. For her nothing goes to waste. :angel:

Addie said:
. She also buy holey denim items, cuts up the item into large patches and sews them together.. :angel:

Cutting up holey jeans?!! People pay $100 for ripped up jeans! Just resell them. :grin:

I start "throwing" things away when I find drawers wont open or I just cant find anything. I tend to hoard things a bit too much but then after sometime I do manage to get rid of it either by selling,giving to op-shops or to people I know who may need it. I follow a page on Facebook that like to help the unfortunate here & they are always asking for donations of something. I only just recently gave away a double bed I wasn't needing.
Unless it's worn out, everything goes to Goodwill or friends. 'Cept books, those go back to the bookstore for credit. I think we have over $300 in credit at one bookstore.
Princess Fiona. I too give my books to the book store and build up my credit so I can buy more books. Its the only way to go for me. I dont have as much credit as you though :)

Some books I do post to a friend when I know its something she would like to read.

Oh, no we do not trow things away either. We call local veteran's store and they come pick up donation. We usually have plenty good stuff to be used. Girls cloth, thank G-d they grow so fast, their stuff is half new. I am spoiled and have tons of shirts and pants that I usually get for birthdays. I am only happy to give it away for a good cause, it is just somebody has to force to look thru the closet.

Back
Top Bottom